Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #27,017 of 42,765
So what is the best/safest type of charger to use? 5v 1.0A?

I would actually use a 2A/5V charger. The Mojo will only take what it needs so it will be perfectly fine. Depending on the power in your house the rated 1A on the charger may not be enough as power can fluctuate and/or the charger may not quite meet it's rated specification. I've found that my Apple 1A charger doesn't cut it (charger light blinks) while other users are fine with it. That's my $0.02.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #27,018 of 42,765
My concern is in relation to chargers which are capable of exceeding 5V. Again, my remarks yesterday were speculative, in as much as Mojo does have over-voltage protection, and so-called 'turbo' chargers should not feed more than 5V to a device unless the device has communicated to the charger that it is capable of accepting more than 5V, but... the market for chargers is so big, with varying quality levels and many cheap imports, that one cannot fully rely upon some 'turbo' chargers to behave themselves - and it's just not wise or fair to rely upon Mojos over-voltage protection to tolerate potential excess voltage, on a longterm and/or continuous basis. Therefore, why tempt fate? Just choose a non-turbo ('dumb') charger, of respectable quality, and sufficient amperage, and all should be well. It is also unlikely to try to throttle its output, as XTR4 alluded to.

The amperage is of no concern, since, provided it is capable of supplying at least 1 amp, it should supply Mojo with as much current as (and no more than) it requires.

In the event that one uses a charging cable with relatively high resistance, then a 1 amp charger might just struggle, so I'm not entirely surprised that some people find a 1 amp charger fails to charge Mojo.

As x RELIC x suggests, a 2A 5V charger should work just great.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #27,023 of 42,765
Dec 8, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #27,024 of 42,765
ROB - Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging.

This is likely the problem (safety timer) which is causing the Mojo randomly turning off.. unfortunately.. unplugging and plugging is only a temporary fix until it happen again. Is there a permanent solution?

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #27,025 of 42,765
  I'm just planning on using stock standard Samsung phone chargers (5v1A). Not sure I have a 5v2A

This will work fine, i use the Chromecast charger which is 5V/1A !

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #27,026 of 42,765
Mojo does just fine (great actually) with my LCD-2.2, and yes, I've compared driving the Audeze from many different sources included the ones in my profile that I currently own, and others I've sold or demo'd.
Curious if you feel the same about your Hugo, since the Mojo shares the same power output (Current and Voltage and output impedance)? Also, the term 'does better' is so ambiguous. It would be helpful to describe 'better'. I have no want for an external amp when driving headphones from the Mojo when I'm not at my desktop rig. Of course preferences and all that not accounted for. YMMV.
Ok today out with the Hugo on same street, train, bus as with the Mojo. Using same headphone and EQd the heck out of the hugo. 50% loss of bass out and about. Clear mids and treble but bass not hitting. Either due to leakage from HP and lack of bass punch. Yesterday with a portable amp perfect bass outside with the hp.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #27,027 of 42,765
Ok today out with the Hugo on same street, train, bus as with the Mojo. Using same headphone and EQd the heck out of the hugo. 50% loss of bass out and about. Clear mids and treble but bass not hitting. Either due to leakage from HP and lack of bass punch. Yesterday with a portable amp perfect bass outside with the hp.

In noisy environment you loose the low frequencies first. I am not surprised. You can do two things about it: buy headphones with a better seal, or buy an amp with bass boost.

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #27,029 of 42,765
  Does Mojo stops flashing when fully charged? Charging new Mojo since 12 hours on 5V/2A and still blinking.

If it has been blinking since the beginning of charging, it means, Mojo does not get enough current, so it is not charging. If it is blinking only for a few hours, that means you need to reconnect your charger. If the second scenario is yours, you might find Rob Watt's explanation useful from a few pages back:

"Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging. So if you are charging and playing, then when you have finished listening, turn Mojo off, and it will be OK. When Mojo is blue, and you connect the charger, then it is trickle charge mode, and the safety charger is not operating. So if Mojo is green, the safety timer won't trip out, as it will play and leave full charge mode within 8 hours, so you will be OK. It should be OK at yellow too. I guess the easiest way of dealing with it is to turn Mojo off after listening, then you will be fine, unless you listen for longer than 8 hours starting from fully flat." Rob

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #27,030 of 42,765
Mojo really bring the best out of FAD FI-BA-SS! The mids are really awesome detailed, refined yet got a raw feel without coloration like Audio Technica ATH-EW9 (which is another epic earphones that female vocals audiophile love).

3lCSa5Q.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back