Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 8, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #27,001 of 42,765
Quote:
Unplugging the charger if it blinks and waiting then charging it again.. works.. but after a while the problem comes back.. I have similar setup in which I leave the mojo constantly on and chargering as a lineout DAC.

I don't think this is a charger/power bar/cable problems. I have used about 5 difference chargers with 1amp or more.. 7+ usb cables.. and 2 different power strips.

This could be circuit logic charging problem.

Yep, same here

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #27,002 of 42,765
Mojo has over-voltage protection, but I suppose it may not be absolutely impossible to cause harm, if a 'turbo' mode USB charger is used, that may have flakey sensing/communication firmware (necessary to determine whether or not it is safe to use 'Turbo' high-voltage charging mode), particularly if plugged-into Mojo on a regular or continuous basis. Even with a well-implemented charging chip, incorporating over-voltage protection, there is only just so much abuse a protection circuit can withstand before eventually failing, if a charger is failing to ensure it definitely does not exceed 5V with devices, such as Mojo, that require no more than 5V charging supply.

In spite of people being repeatedly recommended to use simple 'dumb' fixed 5V chargers, some people seem absolutely determined to use fancy 'Turbo' chargers that, given an opportunity, may try to send higher than 5V through the microUSB port.

Although Hugo does not employ USB charging, I recall Rob saying something related, in relation to [COLOR=FF0000]Hugo[/COLOR]:

Rob did remark, specifically in relation to [COLOR=FF0000]Mojo[/COLOR]:

Although I am only speculating about the above possibility, it would certainly be interesting to know, @ jadeboy & @ citraian, if you have been using chargers capable of exceeding 5v output, when charging Mojo,

I usen mine mostly with a Anker PowerPort 5 before problems started to appear and tried others as well https://www.anker.com/products/A2124222

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #27,003 of 42,765
Also, @ citraian,

Your earlier posts seem a little ambiguous.

You said you turned Mojo off, and you also said there did not appear to be any thermal concerns, but, regardless of that, have you tried FULLY charging Mojo without interfering with it whilst it is switched-off?

(@ Arpiben mentioned this, too)

Yeap, I let it charge for 2 days while being powered off

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #27,004 of 42,765
I love the mojo for its leaner fast bass because it works so well for metal but if I were in to heavy bass club music I'd want to colour the sound with an amp too I suppose. Metal sounds too congested on other amps\DACs I've used they couldn't layer and separate all the instruments as good as mojo.

My early production Mojo doesn't sound leaner in the bass. I find Mojo to have a tiny bit more bass compared to reference sounding Hugo.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #27,005 of 42,765
Pleasant surprise from German Amazon: ordered Mojo on 2 December and was quite shocked to read predicted delivery to be on 21 January (7weeks?!). Checking the Amazon site for the shipping details, it always said we need more time to estimate exact delivery time. Then all of a sudden today, 6 days after the order, Mojo was waiting for me in my mailbox :) Can't wait to charge it fully for first impressions, even if it will already be late night.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #27,006 of 42,765
Pleasant surprise from German Amazon: ordered Mojo on 2 December and was quite shocked to read predicted delivery to be on 21 January (7weeks?!). Checking the Amazon site for the shipping details, it always said we need more time to estimate exact delivery time. Then all of a sudden today, 6 days after the order, Mojo was waiting for me in my mailbox :) Can't wait to charge it fully for first impressions, even if it will already be late night.

You don't really need to wait until it's finished charging. You can use it at the same time as it's charging, so you can get your first impressions a bit earlier if you want. Then when you've finished just leave the Mojo on charge until it's full.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #27,007 of 42,765

You don't really need to wait until it's finished charging. You can use it at the same time as it's charging, so you can get your first impressions a bit earlier if you want. Then when you've finished just leave the Mojo on charge until it's full.

Whilst it is possible to use it before it's finished charging, I really would prefer not to lead new owners down that path, for their first charge.

It really doesn't take long to charge, anyway...

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #27,008 of 42,765
Although I am only speculating about the above possibility, it would certainly be interesting to know, @ jadeboy & @ citraian, if you have been using chargers capable of exceeding 5v output, when charging Mojo,

I had the Mojo charging from a simple iPhone (probably 3 years old) cube charger for about 6 months.. the cube charger output was 5v/1amp.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #27,009 of 42,765

I had the Mojo charging from a simple iPhone (probably 3 years old) cube charger for about 6 months.. the cube charger output was 5v/1amp.

Fair enough - I was speculating about one slim possibility. Glad it's not a contender in your particular case.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #27,010 of 42,765

Have fun!

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #27,011 of 42,765

Mojo is not however powerful enough for AKG K712 and Audeze LCD 2/w in my experience and should be paired with a better but Mojo could be used as a DAC

I respectfully disagree. I have no problems driving my 712s with my Mojo.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #27,012 of 42,765
I've noticed a consistent issue with my new Mojo in regards to playing DSD64/128 files. After the first song of an album plays through, the Mojo plays hiss on the second track. If I return the second song to the beginning, it plays fine. Then the same thing happens with the third song, and so on and so on.

This has happened with several of my DSD files. I know the issue is not with my AK240SS, since it plays a DSD album straight through.

I'm hoping for some comment from the Chord team as to what this anomaly might be ...

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #27,013 of 42,765
Ahh, I understand now. Tidal downloads work with Apple properly. That makes sense. I just seemed crazy for it not to work correctly with phones. As ever, Apple is at the front of the queue!!

Now where did my daughter put her old I phone...?

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #27,014 of 42,765
Ahh, I understand now. Tidal downloads work with Apple properly. That makes sense. I just seemed crazy for it not to work correctly with phones. As ever, Apple is at the front of the queue!!

Now where did my daughter put her old I phone...?

IPhone's will let you stream and download bitperfectly but you would have to buy the CCK adapter or buy one of those expensive higher quality cables that come with the adapter bulit in.

It really comes down to which ecosystem you prefer. Both have obvious trade offs and you would have to make a sacrifice. That's why I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Chords new module will make Mojo the undisputed best mobile reference component.

Many people enjoy the sound of Mojo quite a lot. But when it comes to portable on the go use. It's not quite as seemless as a dedicated dap. You need to plug in a bunch of wires and you have a fat stack. Some people will prefer to buy a dedicated unit just because they don't wanna deal with all that. Others will happily deal with the hassale just because the improvement in sound quality is quite spectacular.

If this new module can turn Mojo into a dap, it really won't have any competition.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #27,015 of 42,765
My early production Mojo doesn't sound leaner in the bass. I find Mojo to have a tiny bit more bass compared to reference sounding Hugo.

What lean means to me is that the bass from the mojo is tight and clean with no excessive bloat like I have heard on other DACs like akm4490 for example not that I think the mojo is bass light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back