Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #25,831 of 42,765

So it's a year further..

Any updates on this? I'm thinking about buying the mojo.. But i would like to know how to replace the battery when it dies, and how much it costs.
Going back to a dealer or online shop (which might be gone), is not that easy either. Have to send it, it will take long etc etc

I'm worried about the battery replacement .

There were a few posts from @Mojo ideas  a few weeks ago regarding this topic, and I think he said that a few batteries have been replaced, and that the cost was about $35.
One or two people enjoy quoting this 3 year lifecycle, but it is a theoretical number, because Chord are expecting a battery life of over 10 years.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #25,833 of 42,765
  Is it possible to replace the battery yourself if you have the tools and aren't scared to void any warranties?

I remember reading that it is attached to a plug in cable, so in theory it could be a DIY replace procedure once your warranty is over. Otherwise the advice was to return the Mojo to your dealer, who could do the job properly in a few minutes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/24015#post_12932754

i have just checked the hugo thread, and it was the Hugo battery that was quoted as $34

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/14010#post_12966416

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/14010#post_12967450

I remember when i bought an Ipad, and was concerned at the battery life expectancy of 1000 charging cycles. But after a few charging cycles, I realised that if I continued to use the Ipad the same in future, it would take 30 years before the battery failed. 
I then decided that I would have replaced my Ipad, long before the battery failed, and have not worried since.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #25,834 of 42,765
Originally Posted by Mojo ideas View Post
Originally Posted by analogmusic View Post

I am thinking of buying a Mojo (already have a Hugo) as it is more portable than the Hugo and easier to charge (no need for the specific charger)

One question I have for Chord is how many charge/discharge cycles is the Mojo battery going to last ? I would expect 1000 cycles at least before 80 % capacity is used.

Anyway the Mojo is not a mobile phone that needs to be on 24 hours a day anyway.

And is this battery use replaceable in 5 years time?

Thanks

Well in excess of 2000 however that is quoted as full deep discharge so any lesser level of discharge counts towards a full one so you'd need two 50 percent cycles to count as one full one this means that as our battery is unlikely to undergo repetive deep cycles it's life is calculated to be out beyond 12 years . The battery is a brand new advanced design. It can be replaced easily in any-case as it has a plug in connector,

.... the batteries are expected to last far longer than three years. The batteries in our designs are not subject to damaging deep discharge cycles or anything more than very light current demand .... Batteries used for power tools are quite a different matter, but in our units expect a life of greater than ten years. Mojo has a plug on it so it's just an easy replacement for a shop technician Hugo batteries will need soldering in place though but this is also a low skilled job which would be require rarely if ever.
John Franks.

Originally Posted by Rob Watts View Post
The batteries are plug in and held into place via thermal sheet. Very easy to change by your dealer.

You should see more than 10,000 hours of use before the battery will need changing.

Rob

We had the battery developed for only our mojo application. Done for us especially, It took Chord 3 years and many attempts to get the sheer ear thumping power density we have achieved in mojo. So I'd rather people didnt underestimate our design skills and I'd ask please don't think you can better it with a quick battery substitution as this can be risky or even dangerous.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #25,835 of 42,765
  This is my addition to this thread.

Phoned up chord electronics, asking about the SD card module, don't know who i spoke to but he says probably 
next summer, and that it is still in the prototype stage.

I wonder if that is with or without J Franks's estimation time of add 50% extra time, over what Rob Watts estimates. Hahaha sorry Chord Electronics, I couldn't resist. (Have a happy X-mas when it gets here.)

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #25,837 of 42,765
alright thanks!

so laptop -> mojo -> hd650 is good for every day use? the volume can go plenty loud as well ?

i was looking at those other amps like shiit, the problem is they all have power cables. meaning its even a hassle to just move all that stuff around with your laptop

so i guess this is the best solution!

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #25,839 of 42,765
Nov 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #25,841 of 42,765
  alright thanks!

so laptop -> mojo -> hd650 is good for every day use? the volume can go plenty loud as well ?

i was looking at those other amps like shiit, the problem is they all have power cables. meaning its even a hassle to just move all that stuff around with your laptop

so i guess this is the best solution!

Nowadays I mostly use my mojo connected to my PC, and then connected to either my hifi or headphones. You should enjoy yours as well. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #25,842 of 42,765
-
do you have a link to that one? i only see 420 euro

Go to www.amazon.de, click the icon on the top right to change language to English if necessary. Search for the mojo, add to cart and go to checkout and it'll covert from euros to roughy $420 USD.

just enough time to prepare your first playlist.

Or have you seen this thread for a few ideas?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/802832/mojos-greatest-hits#post_12450385

I'll give this a look, thanks!

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #25,843 of 42,765
Not sure exactly what you are stating, but this is confusing or incorrect. By holding down both volume balls when turning on the Mojo, it goes to a preset 3v output. This is not remembered, so if you turn it off and on again, it will revert to the setting prior to turning on in line out mode. If you change the setting up or down after turning on in line out mode (which you can do), that new volume will be remembered when you cycle on and off again. But you can always get back to the 3v line out setting by turning on and holding both volume balls down. You cannot change the behavior of the preset line out mode. It always comes up as 3v, initially.

I need to play around with it more, because I don't use line-out much.

What I'm saying is that yes, the first time I used the line-out preset (hold balls during power up) it went to the 3V setting. I turned the level down to ~2V because my amp can't handle the 3V. 

Then when I turned on normal mode (no ball holding) it went back to the 2V (and I almost blew my ears off). Now when I went back to line-out mode, it also reverted back to the 2V level, not 3V.

Again, I need to try this again, because maybe the colours confused me... Oh Mojo, why the colours... what's wrong with numbers? If he wanted to have digital control without a potentiometer, why not just a tiny display with numbers.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #25,845 of 42,765
How many of you like the Chord Mojo case. Is the case worth the 100 bucks and does it seem robust?

I like it: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back