Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 17, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #7,816 of 10,801
HOTSPOT MODE IS THE WAY TO GO WITH POLY!

Sorry for shouting but its the most stable way to use it. :)
As a former owner of a poly who worked through the extended beta testing years, I politely disagree. Especially if using iOS. I would not buy a poly for the sole reason of portable use outside the home network. There are much better options now than when I owned the poly. Yes, you can use it outside your home network, but there are better solutions now. YMMV

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #7,817 of 10,801
Apr 17, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #7,818 of 10,801
It certainly does. I can't think of a much better portable option than a Poly/Mojo2. I use mine everyday when out walking the dog or just out walking as I don't have a dog. In that usage scenario I don't see any other option that works as well for streaming and playing stuff off a microSD card.

Mojo2 is really designed as a portable solution isn't it. I do have a 2Go/Hugo 2 as well but that stays on my desk, again hotspot mode. Tecnically I could use 2Go/Hugo 2 when out walking the dog too (I must get a dog one day) but its a little heavy and doesn't fit in my pocket.

The Wifi chip Chord uses does have compatibility issues I agree, not in Hotspot mode that I can see and people asking for 5Ghz Wifi support are probably not using hotspot mode as with Hotspot mode I really can see a need for 5Ghz.

YMMV. :)

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #7,819 of 10,801
Sorry if this question is stupid or has been covered but will EQ work if Mojo2 is used as only DAC connected to another Amp?
Thanks,
i can’t see why not as only one output option on offer whether connect to a headphone or amp

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #7,820 of 10,801
yes but the mojo does not have a digital output, you must use its headphone output (analog) to an amp. Chord is quite special, when you use it in lo, the internal amp is not bypassed.
There is not internal amp that can be bypassed in Mojo or Mojo2. There is only one single I to V conversion that all DACs have which Rob has created with variable output, providing maximum transparency. If you use Mojo into an amp, you are not technically “double amping.”

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #7,822 of 10,801
Mojo2 should be set to Indigo volume color. I use volume control on Schiit amps. But tbh, I’m thinking of buying Modi Miltibit2 to use with Schiit stack. Mojo2 is not very user friendly. You also have cables hanging on both sides, it’s not pretty.
Thanks! I’ll try it out like that. Yea wires on both sides do suck. I should just use my poly to avoid that.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #7,823 of 10,801
The Mojo2 Fostex TH900 combo has really ruined listening on my Harmon Kardon BMW stereo, haha:sweat_smile:. Am used to listening on Shure SHA900 Fostex combo on lunch break, then getting in my car and finding equal pleasure. Not anymore. Was listening to a Sevendust album with M2 Fostex then drove. Soundstage and resolution collapse was obvious in comparison. Wow. This level of hifi is end game in this price range. $2400 CANNOT, and i mean cannot, buy you better sound quality than this.
And the EQ’s ability to deal with moderately heavy adjustments without compromising soundstage, dimensionality, and resolution is absolutely icing on the cake. I’m am hearing old rock albums that need help in a way now that I’ve only come close to on my big rig. And it’s WONDERFUL!

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #7,824 of 10,801
yes but the mojo does not have a digital output, you must use its headphone output (analog) to an amp. Chord is quite special, when you use it in lo, the internal amp is not bypassed.

There is no amplification stage in the traditional sense.

What I don’t follow with the Chord approach is the output impedance. Usually using line out off a DAP or a DAC/Amp like the Gryphon for example, the output impedance increases to around 50 ohms since it is feeding voltage into an amps input impedance of something around 50,000 to 100,000 ohms.

Can someone who better understands the electrical theory explain if the very low output impedance makes any difference and if it doesn’t why does nearly every other DAC use a much higher output impedance ?

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #7,825 of 10,801
There is no amplification stage in the traditional sense.

What I don’t follow with the Chord approach is the output impedance. Usually using line out off a DAP or a DAC/Amp like the Gryphon for example, the output impedance increases to around 50 ohms since it is feeding voltage into an amps input impedance of something around 50,000 to 100,000 ohms.

Can someone who better understands the electrical theory explain if the very low output impedance makes any difference and if it doesn’t why does nearly every other DAC use a much higher output impedance ?
I'm interested about this as well. That said, if the Mojos had a 50 Ohm output impedance it would make them less compatible with various type of headphones.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #7,826 of 10,801
It has been proven and shown that error rate is almost non existent . larger errors will lead to losing digital lock (white noise blast).
Timing errors (jitter) is a thing of the past!
All data is re-timed internally by Mojo.
This may not apply to USB but with digital coax, the transmission path needs to be 75 Ohm throughout for optimal performance, not just the cable but also the connectors as well as the receivers in the devices at both ends. If any component in the transmission path fails to meet the 75 Ohm specification, you still get a signal however it is compromised. Transmission impedance variations between different cables and set ups should be measurable and audible, provided the overall system has the ability to resolve these differences.

Edit: the cable length also has an impact due to voltage standing wave reflections - the digital bits are contained within an analog carrier prior to modulation/demodulation of the electrical signal. If i recall correctly the length needs to be a minimum of 4-5' (can't recall exactly) in order to overcome/cancel this effect.

Again, i believe USB is immune to all this (different bit transmission protocol?) but i could be right.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #7,827 of 10,801
I'm interested about this as well. That said, if the Mojos had a 50 Ohm output impedance it would make them less compatible with various type of headphones.
Here is my understanding:
- Standard chip based DACs produce the analogue output, but can not produce enough current, and frankly, they don't need to! The output stage has low enough impedance to be connected to a standard amp with a few kilo-ohm input impedance, and all is good and proper.
However, since Mojo and Hugo range have been designed differently and from ground up to be portable headphone devices, their outputs can produce high currents, have low enough output impedances, good enough to be connected directly to headphones of down to 8 ohm impedance. They do this directly at the DAC's output stage.
Standard chip-based DACs can not, so they employ a separate (current) amplification stage to achieve the same. So they have a "Line output" and a "Headphone output" with different specs. Mojos and Hugos have only one output! Which is good enough for either use, for connection to an amp or headphones.
It is all about being able to pump high current.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #7,828 of 10,801
Mojo 2 and Samsung Galaxy Flip 4 = flippin' good.

P1130422.jpgP1130429.jpgP1130431.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #7,829 of 10,801
That's perfect, almost.
Nice tiny setup with lots of possibilities.

Form factor looks pretty good. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back