Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 22, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #7,847 of 10,954
Hi. I’m have problem connect mojo2 to ipad pro 11”. The sound doesn't come through, still come out from ipad’s speaker.

i connect with usb-c to usb-c

Does anyone has experience this problem and how to fix it?

thank you.

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #7,848 of 10,954
That's OK, everyone to their own.
I just mentioned that, because you can not totally do away with wired connection, since Mojo only takes wired headphones, so one has to have atleast one wired connection. Don't get me wrong! in desktop-mode there is a point to Poly, but for portable use? I wouldn't.
To pay so much for a Poly and carry its bulk, just to do away with one USB connection, is not a decent trade off.
If I didn't like wired connections, then an earbud, or a complete BT headphone would be my choice. There are some decent ones about, and I could afford them, once I save all that money from NOT buying a Mojo-Poly combo.
I would think the only point of Poly is the portable use case unless there is a sound difference between Poly and Wiim Mini ?

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #7,850 of 10,954
Poly brings a quality improvement over many lower cost external streamers. I’m not sure where the line is, though. Poly not as good sounding as the Innuos Zen.
tbh I have a hard time to understand how costly external streamers achieve better sound performance in general. What is the science behind this ?
I can see improvements in the buffering of the stream for instance but isn't it the same bitperfect digital stream at play ?

Even if such a quality difference exists, I am pretty sure I would not be able to hear it myself.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #7,851 of 10,954
tbh I have a hard time to understand how costly external streamers achieve better sound performance in general. What is the science behind this ?
I can see improvements in the buffering of the stream for instance but isn't it the same bitperfect digital stream at play ?
Yes, it is, but it’s not about the data, it’s about the electrical noise along the way. Better streamers have more sophisticated power supplies and are designed to to be as electrically quiet as possible. The data will get there regardless, and the systems in place to ensure so are rock solid. Here’s a good starting point…

Apr 22, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #7,852 of 10,954
god help me.
snake oil merchants talking about noise. and then a product they sell, cures it.
There are two types of noise:
- EMI and/or Electrical.
- EMI is the type of noise that gets induced in, when you are in proximity of a transmitter (such as a mobile phone) or any other magnetic noise generator.
Hence, why it is a bad idea to strap one's phone to your DAC.
- Electrical is the type of noise that FLOWS from one wire to another. you always need a minimum of two wires for electrical noise to flow through. It is a misconception that electrical noise can affect one wire, such as an antenna effect. With this kind of noise, unless it is in low frequencies (Hum or buzzing), just about no filter or cable can get rid of it, they can help, but it would be a specific filter. High frequency electrical noise, often referred to as RFI, requires precise filtering and even then, if it is random, just about impossible to get rid of.
The easiest way, is to tackle the fact that it needs to FLOW from one wire to another, so if one could break the circuit, the noise has nowhere to flow, and can not do any harm.
A Ground Loop Noise is such a situation, where noise flows from one ground plane to another, simply lifting (disconnection) one of the ground wires, starves the noise from its need to flow. An example: use a battery operated DAP to your DAC and connect the DAC to a power amplifier, means no noise! use a grounded PC to your DAC, then use headphones, no noise again! Use optical when you can, no noise!
Poly is a battery operated device, eventhough it works on wifi, there is no noise issue. The afore mentioned Wiim, if connected using optical, there is no noise.
Use a USB isolator, connect a noisy PC to your DAC using USB, and DAC into a grounded poweramp, . . . yes you guessed it, no noise.
Remember, all of the above, only applies to DACs with no USB Isolation such as Mojos and Hugos, when it comes to desktop models, use USB happily.
Optical is always a sure shot.
For clarity, an optical connected Wiim and a poly are exactly the same for sound quality.
Poly is a Roon end point, Wiim mini is not - difference is in the functionality.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #7,853 of 10,954
I haven't heard the Poly, I can say the Wiim Pro is excellent, I am using it as the secondary streamer to my Spring 3, the main reason I am not using it as my primary streamer is it cant do 1.5 million taps oversampling like my PC, I do agree the quality of power supply does matter if there is no galavanic isolation in the chain, because all the emi/rfi/other electrical noise can travel upto to the analogue part of the chain like the output stage of a DAC, pre amp, power amp,, the Wiim mini in my humble opinion has a very good case for the Mojo, its optical so no electrical noise from steamer to Mojo 2, the only thing the Poly can do better is high sample rate, or it does some DSP processing to enhance the sound.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #7,855 of 10,954
For completeness one other potential area the Poly can be better (or worse) than the Wiim mini is jitter (time distortion), this only effect connections like optical/coaxial but not usb, will need some measurements to confirm this, as per ASR tests Wiim Pro is very good not sure about the mini.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #7,856 of 10,954
For completeness one other potential area the Poly can be better (or worse) than the Wiim mini is jitter (time distortion), this only effect connections like optical/coaxial but not usb, will need some measurements to confirm this, as per ASR tests Wiim Pro is very good not sure about the mini.
No jitter issue on optical to Mojo, none.
If it locks on, it has locked on!
Wiim mini, pro, software based streamers and end points, . . . . . , no jitter issue.
I even have used an old Android phone with software UPNP installed instead of Wiim or Poly, and it works fine with any DAC, I even can use DSP, EQ room correction on it.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #7,857 of 10,954
No jitter issue on optical to Mojo, none.
If it locks on, it has locked on!
Wiim mini, pro, software based streamers and end points, . . . . . , no jitter issue.
I even have used an old Android phone with software UPNP installed instead of Wiim or Poly, and it works fine with any DAC, I even can use DSP, EQ room correction on it.
Nice to know Wiim mini has no jitter issue.

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #7,859 of 10,954
god help me.
snake oil merchants talking about noise. and then a product they sell, cures it.
There are two types of noise:
- EMI and/or Electrical.
- EMI is the type of noise that gets induced in, when you are in proximity of a transmitter (such as a mobile phone) or any other magnetic noise generator.
Hence, why it is a bad idea to strap one's phone to your DAC.
- Electrical is the type of noise that FLOWS from one wire to another. you always need a minimum of two wires for electrical noise to flow through. It is a misconception that electrical noise can affect one wire, such as an antenna effect. With this kind of noise, unless it is in low frequencies (Hum or buzzing), just about no filter or cable can get rid of it, they can help, but it would be a specific filter. High frequency electrical noise, often referred to as RFI, requires precise filtering and even then, if it is random, just about impossible to get rid of.
The easiest way, is to tackle the fact that it needs to FLOW from one wire to another, so if one could break the circuit, the noise has nowhere to flow, and can not do any harm.
A Ground Loop Noise is such a situation, where noise flows from one ground plane to another, simply lifting (disconnection) one of the ground wires, starves the noise from its need to flow. An example: use a battery operated DAP to your DAC and connect the DAC to a power amplifier, means no noise! use a grounded PC to your DAC, then use headphones, no noise again! Use optical when you can, no noise!
Poly is a battery operated device, eventhough it works on wifi, there is no noise issue. The afore mentioned Wiim, if connected using optical, there is no noise.
Use a USB isolator, connect a noisy PC to your DAC using USB, and DAC into a grounded poweramp, . . . yes you guessed it, no noise.
Remember, all of the above, only applies to DACs with no USB Isolation such as Mojos and Hugos, when it comes to desktop models, use USB happily.
Optical is always a sure shot.
For clarity, an optical connected Wiim and a poly are exactly the same for sound quality.
Poly is a Roon end point, Wiim mini is not - difference is in the functionality.
“Snake oil merchants” are you serious? You’re calling them liars. You’re actually saying they’re behaving fraudulently. Do I have that right? Have you considered that just maybe some people in this field might know more than you do? That they’ve looked into these problems more than you have?
Digital sources can sound different.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #7,860 of 10,954
Anyone using their Mojo2 as a Dac with the vali2++ or piety?

What are you guys using as volume control, the mojo2 or the amp?
I did and pegged the mojo at purple color. Then used my piety or Lyr to volume control. It’s best to get the maximum dynamic range out of the mojo so that you don’t have noise being amplified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back