Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 14, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #6,466 of 10,546
How would Air Play to a Poly/Mojo via iPad and Apple Music or Tidal sound versus a digital coaxial connection to Mojo from a Fiio M11 Plus ?

How would the comparison be with Poly via Air Play versus setting up the M11 Plus as an Air Play receiver and going coaxial into the Mojo and controlling the music from iPad. I am doing that right now and it sounds great despite the 44.1 khz limitations of Air Play.

Asking for a friend !! 😂
Hi, I’m my opinion SD card playback is a huge step better than AirPlay. Also Quobuz via MConnect sound better than AirPlay, I prefer any CD rip on SD compared to high res on AirPlay

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #6,467 of 10,546
Hi, I’m my opinion SD card playback is a huge step better than AirPlay. Also Quobuz via MConnect sound better than AirPlay, I prefer any CD rip on SD compared to high res on AirPlay

Thank you.

I imagine SD card playback would be better but I don’t have a music library, I stream everything or use downloads via Apple Music or Tidal.

While I could put an SD card into my M11 and save downloads to that I don’t believe there is any way that I could put that SD card into a Poly and play the downloads.

I am not interested in using a third party app to control playback from Qobuz or Tidal (I believe Tidal can be used that way ?) as I have other options that suit my use cases better in terms of simplicity for home use and size/weight for easy portability when out for a walk.

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,468 of 10,546
En Europe, du moins en Allemagne, vous pouvez retourner n'importe quel produit tant qu'il n'y a pas de produit d'hygiène dans les 14 jours et ne payer que les frais d'expédition.
Les produits Amazon Prime peuvent être testés et retournés même dans les 30 jours.

Ces produits retournés sont ensuite proposés en tant que produits en stock B moins chers pour les autres clients, également avec une option de retour de 14 jours conformément à la loi.
c'est aussi vrai en France

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #6,469 of 10,546
EDIT: Adding to the Mojo 2 vs Hugo 2 observations, several days of listening to both units with my different IEMs and heaphones have confirmed my decision that I will definitely keep the Hugo 2. Going from Mojo 2 to Hugo 2 a lot more detail comes through, the space opens up and everything comes into focus. It feels like the leading edges of sounds are sharper and trailing edges are alive and full of nuance and detail. As I already mentioned, you can really hear the sound reflections in the room, making the music sound very real. Of course the transducers make a big difference, I can hear these effects most clearly with the Focal Clears and the Sony IER-M9, the best I have available.
And I don't just hear it in direct A/B testing. Even just listening to Mojo 2 I do miss that clarity and transparency of Hugo 2 a little. I am still super happy with the Mojo 2 as upgrade to the original Mojo, but it will not replace the Hugo2Go for me. Considering that there are now a lot of good deals on used Hugo 2s I think it is (still) a great choice.
I had the Mojo 1, Hugo 2, TT2 and a Dave. I just got back into Headphones; as I bought 800S's for gaming and figured I would get the Mojo 2 and the Poly. It was fine but the bug hit me and I ended up buying the Hugo 2 and the 2go. My headphone listening was done on the Mojo 1 and Hugo2 with the Meze Empyrean. I got rid of the Empyrean and the Mojo1/Hugo2. I did my listening with the TT2 and Dave in a 2 channel system. I got rid of the TT2/Dave/M-Scaler and went with an Audio Note system. I don't like a thin sound lacking in tone. The Mojo 2 with the 800S sounded thin & good but I wanted more/better. The Hugo 2 was said by some to be the thinner sounding dac when compared to the Mojo 2. Nope; every single aspect of the Hugo 2 was much better. If you can swing a H2/2go, I would say skip the Mojo 2. I do not see myself reaching for the M2 over the H2; as the M2 will be sold when I get a chance.

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #6,470 of 10,546
I had the Mojo 1, Hugo 2, TT2 and a Dave. I just got back into Headphones; as I bought 800S's for gaming and figured I would get the Mojo 2 and the Poly. It was fine but the bug hit me and I ended up buying the Hugo 2 and the 2go. My headphone listening was done on the Mojo 1 and Hugo2 with the Meze Empyrean. I got rid of the Empyrean and the Mojo1/Hugo2. I did my listening with the TT2 and Dave in a 2 channel system. I got rid of the TT2/Dave/M-Scaler and went with an Audio Note system. I don't like a thin sound lacking in tone. The Mojo 2 with the 800S sounded thin & good but I wanted more/better. The Hugo 2 was said by some to be the thinner sounding dac when compared to the Mojo 2. Nope; every single aspect of the Hugo 2 was much better. If you can swing a H2/2go, I would say skip the Mojo 2. I do not see myself reaching for the M2 over the H2; as the M2 will be sold when I get a chance.
Interesting journey for you. So you preferred H2 to either TT2 or Dave (+/- M-Scaler)?
Also, did adjusting the lossless EQ on M2 not help address any thinness, even though it would not influence other aspects of its performance?

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #6,471 of 10,546
Interesting journey for you. So you preferred H2 to either TT2 or Dave (+/- M-Scaler)?
Also, did adjusting the lossless EQ on M2 not help address any thinness, even though it would not influence other aspects of its performance?
I was saying that I didn't try the HD800S with the Dave/TT2; but I did own them and did not 'love' them in my 2 channel system at the time. It was an incredible sounding dac, but it didn't work well with my Focal Sopra. It paired better with my old Sonus Faber. The M2 is really good, but I just wanted to stress the H2 is a major improvement.

The EQ is exceptional and definitely did a wonderful job helping with the thinness. I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the HD800S for the second time. The HD800S are still what they are, but the H2 accentuated the positives of the HP more than the M2. I don't have anything negative to say about the M2. I just wanted people to hear another viewpoint in the H2 vs M2 comparison.

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #6,472 of 10,546
Hey All—I'm new here but have been loving my Mojo 2. It was my favorite audio gear purchase because it appreciably improves the sound of anything I've plugged into it. My primary source is my iPhone 13 Mini and I thought I tracked down the perfect cable for the pair: the FiiO LT-LT1 Lightning to USB-C. Within about an hour of use I discovered the dreaded 'random noises.' Curiously, the M2 never did this with the stock micro USB or Apple USB-C. It's baffling that Chord would leave this flaw for so long. I emailed support and Ed got back to me right away stating that the only Lightning solution that works reliably is the Apple OTG dongle. So it seems I need to decide if this is a fatal flaw, live with the issue and tip-toe around the white noise, or live with a massive dongle daisy chain.

I see y'all are raving about some of the ddHIFI adapters, but I swore them off after I felt burned by the TC35 Pro Mountain dongle DAC. Interestingly, it suffers similar connectivity issues, where the slightest giggle could interrupt the connection and cause the DAC to reboot. No white noise fortunately, or if so it only happened twice and I thought it was an Apple Music problem. I fixed the issue by wrapping a little teflon floss around the base of the lightning connector. This mechanically stablized the connection and fixed the issue. Fortunately the FiiO cable has much better tolerances than the ddHIFI lightning connector which fit sloppily and was installed at about 85° rather than square.

The issue with the LT-LT1 cable seems similarly mechanical, but more difficult to reproduce. So far it is mostly triggered by mechanical movement when the connection is newly established. So I've been turning the volume down, tampering with the connection and reseating the cables if necessary. Once the cable is reseated, the connection seems normal and resilient to disturbances. I will have to observe this more, but needing to reseat makes me wonder if the connection is susceptible to the slightest amount of contamination on the lightning contacts. The white noise bursts or distortion are limited to the volume setting, so I can work around it but it worries me when listening to classical music. Sometimes when the white noise occurs, it is permanent and the connection has to be re-established to fix it.

Considering my ddHIFI woes and I've seen it reported that other Chord products suffer this issue sometimes even with the factory cable. Is this a wider USB issue? I wish there was a detailed technical explanation by Chord or another expert. It's tough to know which piece of gear could have a hardware issue. (ddHIFI/Audio46 offered to replace the TC35 Pro, but I declined after finding the floss fix, I may through some on the LT1 but it seems to be triggered by bending the cable.) Thanks for reading my rambles!

Hey all, I wanted to write a little update today after discovering a new element on the white noise burst issue. For months, I’ve been using the bulky Apple USB3 dongle chain. It’s ugly but it works 99% of the time without noise burst. I did notice a few playback and sleep hiccups when the new iOS came out but that’s been resolved.

Today was maybe the third or fourth time I’ve encountered white noise bursts with the Apple dongle connecting the Mojo 2 to an iPhone 13. I was charging both devices at work and I when reached down to adjust my little (120v AC) space heater, instant white noise. I as able to reproduce the issue twice by turning on the fan only on this heater. Heat+fan was fine, weirdly but switching over to fan only caused instant white noise. I unplugged everything, dry wiped the connections, reassembled and still got severe digital distortion when switching on the fan. This seems to indicate the white noise burst (jitter?) can be caused by electrical fault/interference and not solely mechanical interruptions in the connection.

Has Rob Watts specifically addressed this issue? I read a post of his saying all DACs are susceptible to jitter, are these white noise bursts the result of jitter?

Still loving the Mojo 2, I even drive full size Polk speakers with it, but the white noise bursts are not fun.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #6,473 of 10,546
How do you connect mojo 2 directly to speakers (not active)? interested.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #6,475 of 10,546
Optical or coax to an an amp
"directly" ie no amp. Good old fashioned, passive speakers, currently hooked up to amp. Interested in bypassing the amp & seeing if it works. Need to connect 2 x 2 speaker cables to mojo's 3.5mm input?
I understand that speakers might not be sensitive enough. Just curious.

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #6,476 of 10,546
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #6,477 of 10,546
Jan 17, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #6,478 of 10,546
Ty. Will give it a go

I recall reading some guys here getting all giddy about driving speakers from a Mojo. The thing was they were extremely sensitive little speakers not ones from an average home system.

I would suggest caution, the typical low impedance of a speaker and relatively low sensitivity will require high current which is definitely going to give the Mojo a workout.

You would want to know what current limit protection the Mojo has in place before embarking on something that will be an interesting experiment but ultimately rather pointless.

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #6,479 of 10,546
I recall reading some guys here getting all giddy about driving speakers from a Mojo. The thing was they were extremely sensitive little speakers not ones from an average home system.

I would suggest caution, the typical low impedance of a speaker and relatively low sensitivity will require high current which is definitely going to give the Mojo a workout.

You would want to know what current limit protection the Mojo has in place before embarking on something that will be an interesting experiment but ultimately rather pointless.
Thanks. My "Will give it a go" could be more accurately translated as "err...nah-though"
:)

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #6,480 of 10,546

Yep, Omega SAM single driver, 94db efficient speakers. But they sound great out of TT2 and even Mojo/Mojo2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back