Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #5,746 of 10,527
I have just got my Mojo 2 and I am loving it. It is a noticeable improvement from my IFI hip dac, but at the same time, the sound is a bit less authoritative compared to desktop set (SMSL SU-8 + THX 789) when driving my HD6xx. But to be clear, it is still very enjoyable!

Have a few questions, please point to me if these have been discussed before please.
1) Does mojo sound better from internal battery vs external power?
2) I have heard people saying Mojo sounds better when is is connected to Chord Poly so I suppose USB noise is a real detrimental factor. Does anyone know which of the following source introduce the least USB noise? Computer, Phone, Ipad (without WIFI) [This goes in my supposed list of noise in descending order]
3) Related to 2), does anyone have any recommendation for USB noise filter / usb galvanic isolator for Mojo 2?

Many thanks!
In my opinion, Mojo2+Poly does improve upon just connecting USB to another device like a smartphone or a computer.

If I have to put a reference on how much improvement you might expect to get, I’d say if you play music from the mSD card inside Poly is a 10/10, then AirPlay over Wi-Fi to the Poly is a 9/10, while optical is about 8/10 or 8.5/10, and USB cable to smartphones or computer is 7.5/10 or 8/10 depending on how good the USB cable is.

USB cable does make a difference because it is not just 1’s and 0’s, as RFI and EMI do play a role and this noise will get modulated into the analog audio path, making it sound brighter and harsher. Expensive cables are not necessarily better, it is how well it rejects RFI/EMI and whether the cable meets the USB standard in terms of impedance. I found that adding a ferrite choke to a plain cable really does make a noticeable difference and this costs me $2 extra. Also, cables that come with portable hard drives should have ferrite chokes on them already and are generally built thicker so it is worth a try if you have them lying around. But it might be difficult to find micro B terminated ones these days.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #5,747 of 10,527
I agree with GoSUV, Poly sounds significant better than iPad USB. I tried optical from Auralic Aries and this sounds very close to Poly SD card. AirPlay unfortunately doesn’t sound great, HD files sound worse than CD from SD. Quobuz direct via MConnect App is better. That’s of course my ears and my equipment. Hope it helps. I love my Poly and PolyMojo replaced my Aries and Calyx DAC in my main system but most of the time I use the combo for my Fiio FD7, I simply love this set up with some EQ: -2 for 3kHz, +2 for 20Hz and 20kHz.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #5,748 of 10,527
I am looking for a good portable DAC. Is there anything that can compete with Mojo 2 at lower price range?

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #5,750 of 10,527
In my opinion, Mojo2+Poly does improve upon just connecting USB to another device like a smartphone or a computer.

If I have to put a reference on how much improvement you might expect to get, I’d say if you play music from the mSD card inside Poly is a 10/10, then AirPlay over Wi-Fi to the Poly is a 9/10, while optical is about 8/10 or 8.5/10, and USB cable to smartphones or computer is 7.5/10 or 8/10 depending on how good the USB cable is.

USB cable does make a difference because it is not just 1’s and 0’s, as RFI and EMI do play a role and this noise will get modulated into the analog audio path, making it sound brighter and harsher. Expensive cables are not necessarily better, it is how well it rejects RFI/EMI and whether the cable meets the USB standard in terms of impedance. I found that adding a ferrite choke to a plain cable really does make a noticeable difference and this costs me $2 extra. Also, cables that come with portable hard drives should have ferrite chokes on them already and are generally built thicker so it is worth a try if you have them lying around. But it might be difficult to find micro B terminated ones these days.
Very good idea! I love this idea! Just try to find some ferrite choke!

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #5,751 of 10,527
Mine has got a lot worse since updating my iPhone from X to 14. Only once had a problem on the X and that was a half inserted lightning connector. It now happens frequently with high rate music but not low rate. Un plugging and replugging the cable clears it.
An update on my noise problem. It continued to occur frequently, seemingly at random but typically every 4 or 5 tracks. It only failed with high rate tracks. I tried different sources (VOX, QoBuz, Roon) and it consistently failed. As mentioned I did not have the problem on my older iPhone X. I decided to eliminate the cable as a problem and switch back to the Apple Camera Adaptor with a short USB-A to USB-C cable. I have listened for two entire evenings now without a single incidence of noise. My previous cable, a ddHiFi lightning to USB-C, had worked flawlessly for months.

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #5,752 of 10,527
I have just got my Mojo 2 and I am loving it. It is a noticeable improvement from my IFI hip dac, but at the same time, the sound is a bit less authoritative compared to desktop set (SMSL SU-8 + THX 789) when driving my HD6xx. But to be clear, it is still very enjoyable!

Have a few questions, please point to me if these have been discussed before please.
1) Does mojo sound better from internal battery vs external power?
2) I have heard people saying Mojo sounds better when is is connected to Chord Poly so I suppose USB noise is a real detrimental factor. Does anyone know which of the following source introduce the least USB noise? Computer, Phone, Ipad (without WIFI) [This goes in my supposed list of noise in descending order]
3) Related to 2), does anyone have any recommendation for USB noise filter / usb galvanic isolator for Mojo 2?

Many thanks!
As @Daniel Johnston said, Poly both uses USB and sounds great (battery powered and very low noise). But f you want to try a noiseless connection, you can get a USB to toslink converter, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Reiyin-Converter-Toslink-Optical-External/dp/B07VSFBT82/

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #5,753 of 10,527
Yes, a second hand Chord Mojo 1. Just got one. While it might not be quite as good as the mk2 it's still a damn good piece of kit.
@Zephead I agree. Default Mojo 1 tuning adds a bit of magic IMHO to the sound signature. Default Mojo 2 tuning is lacking it, while it provides more clarity and details and overall sound control seems to be better.

OCC7N said:
I am looking for a good portable DAC. Is there anything that can compete with Mojo 2 at lower price range?

@OCC7N i'd try ifi micro iDSD Signature if you do not care about volume imbalance in low settings and this is more of transportable dac/amp than portable IMHO and you are looking for powerful amp section and a bit relaxed sound like in case of Mojo 1. Can't tell you the price but it can be even more expensive than Mojo 2 with some dealers.

Fiio Q5s with THX amp module could be some competition maybe in terms of lower price but it can be picky with headphones and you may be looking for some time to find right pairing for great synergy. I had only experience with AK based version. Still can not beat Mojo 1/2 + AudioQuest NH or NO or HD600.

Nov 8, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #5,754 of 10,527
My top picks for portable sources (purely considering sound quality here)

DS Chip: iFi Audio micro iDSD Signature
FPGA: Chord Mojo 2
R2R: HiBy RS2 (pair with Topping NX7 for more power)

RS2 isn't a DAC but it's small enough and can be used as a DAC/Amp. I haven't heard it but did get to try the HiBy RS6 which sounded great and since RS2 is using the same tech minus the OS, Display... my guess is it'll sound good.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #5,755 of 10,527
To bee honest Ii have had a couple of iFi dacs and have still the Diablo, I would like another profile/signature to fit in.

If I could find a R2R that has a better rep than the Cayin RU6 the size of max Mojo 2 it would be cool.

I had this on my mind today:
https://centrance.com/dacport-hd/

Im interesting in how flat it sounds, so I could give it som effects, but also listen to music production on the road.

Any chance one of you have a comparison/impression of Mojo vs the Centrance Dacport hd

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #5,756 of 10,527
Another white noise situation since we are comparing notes.

Fiio M11 Plus streaming Tidal through UAPP to Mojo (og) via custom Moon Audio COAXIAL cable, listening most of the day and no problem as usual.

Before packing away for the day I did a quick back and forth with Mojo and iFi Go Bar. Plugged COAXIAL cable back in while UAPP presumably thought it was still connected to Go Bar and white noise.

Actually kind of odd, white noise in the left channel and the song at about 1/4 speed in the right 😂

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #5,757 of 10,527
I’ve experienced white noise or distorted sound through most every USB dac I’ve owned. My AK240 is unusable in DAC mode with my MacBook Pro because of constant white noise. I’ve had it happen with the iBasso DX320, Hugo 2, Opus #2, but not with Mojo (1 or 2).

The common link to the issue is connection to the computer. I don’t recall any white noise issues with USB DAC modes or chord products with iPhones, iPads, or android tablets. Recognition issues, yes, but not distorted sound. Also, I never had issue with white noise with mojo or Hugo 2 connected to poly or 2go.

Although built into the OS, the drivers probably are 99% of the unusual behavior. I can see rapidly switching between two sources causing issues. After all, the mojo is a computer, and computers do random things.

My $0.02

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #5,758 of 10,527
I haven't used my Mojo 2 for months, it was sitting in my drawer unused as my Burson 3XP was my daily driver. I've added some powered speakers which means I'm not using headphones as much and therefore I am downsizing my system.
The 3XP is for sale and the Mojo 2 on my desk again, driving the Meze Empyreans and I'm surprised by how nicely it sounds. The 3XP is smoother and authoritative and simply pairs better with the HD800s, but with the Mezes the result is good enough for casual/non critical listenings. In fact, there are moments when I get distracted by the music, in a good way.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #5,759 of 10,527
I’ve experienced white noise or distorted sound through most every USB dac I’ve owned. My AK240 is unusable in DAC mode with my MacBook Pro because of constant white noise. I’ve had it happen with the iBasso DX320, Hugo 2, Opus #2, but not with Mojo (1 or 2).

The common link to the issue is connection to the computer. I don’t recall any white noise issues with USB DAC modes or chord products with iPhones, iPads, or android tablets. Recognition issues, yes, but not distorted sound. Also, I never had issue with white noise with mojo or Hugo 2 connected to poly or 2go.

Although built into the OS, the drivers probably are 99% of the unusual behavior. I can see rapidly switching between two sources causing issues. After all, the mojo is a computer, and computers do random things.

My $0.02

No it is certainly not a problem unique to Chord.

I had a brief white noise burst with my ifi Go Bar last night when swapping USB cables around doing a comparison with a fancy ddhifi TC09 and a generic USB cable, I was using an iPad mini 6 as the source.

I have had white noise with the ES9028 DAC module in a Schiit Asgard 3 connecting to a Fiio M11 Plus DAP, I think that was cause by a cable that wasn't inserting fully and thus making a dodgy connection. I had issues getting it to even connect and a different cable sorted that out and the white noise was no longer an issue.

I had repeatable white noise with the Fiio M11 Plus into a Schiit Modi, it would start a minute or two after playing music every time without fail, iPad into the Modi was no issue.

I certainly don't think it is a computer issue.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #5,760 of 10,527
No it is certainly not a problem unique to Chord.

I had a brief white noise burst with my ifi Go Bar last night when swapping USB cables around doing a comparison with a fancy ddhifi TC09 and a generic USB cable, I was using an iPad mini 6 as the source.

I have had white noise with the ES9028 DAC module in a Schiit Asgard 3 connecting to a Fiio M11 Plus DAP, I think that was cause by a cable that wasn't inserting fully and thus making a dodgy connection. I had issues getting it to even connect and a different cable sorted that out and the white noise was no longer an issue.

I had repeatable white noise with the Fiio M11 Plus into a Schiit Modi, it would start a minute or two after playing music every time without fail, iPad into the Modi was no issue.

I certainly don't think it is a computer issue.
Computer was issue with my scenarios.

To be clear, OS drivers include any DAP, tablet, phone, etc…

My response was to the specific issue of white noise from Mojo2. It’s not a design flaw as it is an issue with USB DACs in general. Especially portable ones frequently plugged and unplugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back