Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 20, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,791 of 10,526
The Mojo 1 is too digital and harsh which is not correct soundwise.

So one of the portable benchmarks I have used, it is not amazing. The Chord Dave absolutely destroys it. But that is to be expected as it is a consumer device which simply has a headphone output as an after thought.

I can take my AFC 2 Noire for example or whatever headphone and listen on this "consumer level" portable device and it is actually quite enjoyable to listen to. With the Mojo, there is always some "harshness" and "digital" sound which ruins the listening experience for me. The Mojo 1 is probably better at "technicalities", but the listening experience is not that great for me. Now I won't mention which device it is as head-fi will probably explode.

The Chord Dave (fully optimised to eliminate all external noise) also doesn't have this problem of the Mojo 1. I can take my Focal Utopia (with super high-end cables) and it sounds super smooth, relaxed and analog with a massive soundstage. Yet at the same time, you hear absolutely everything. Basically everything sounds amazing on this setup.

So I basically miss the sit back and enjoy all the music experience with Mojo 1. Now I know I am the minority, so you should probably ignore my opinion about the Mojo 1 as the consensus is that the Mojo 1 is somehow super amazing.

I guess I must have a particular set of ears that somehow finds the Mojo 1 "digital" and "harsh". I honestly thought my Mojo 1 was broken all this time.
I don't understand why you are drifting so far away as to bring the Dave into this conversation and describing its SQ at length in the context of the Mojo, but i can already tell that engaging with you any further will be a complete waste of time and energy. I give up.

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #2,793 of 10,526
The Mojo 1 is too digital and harsh which is not correct soundwise.

So one of the portable benchmarks I have used, it is not amazing. The Chord Dave absolutely destroys it. But that is to be expected as it is a consumer device which simply has a headphone output as an after thought.

I can take my AFC 2 Noire for example or whatever headphone and listen on this "consumer level" portable device and it is actually quite enjoyable to listen to. With the Mojo, there is always some "harshness" and "digital" sound which ruins the listening experience for me. The Mojo 1 is probably better at "technicalities", but the listening experience is not that great for me. Now I won't mention which device it is as head-fi will probably explode.

The Chord Dave (fully optimised to eliminate all external noise) also doesn't have this problem of the Mojo 1. I can take my Focal Utopia (with super high-end cables) and it sounds super smooth, relaxed and analog with a massive soundstage. Yet at the same time, you hear absolutely everything. Basically everything sounds amazing on this setup.

So I basically miss the sit back and enjoy all the music experience with Mojo 1. Now I know I am the minority, so you should probably ignore my opinion about the Mojo 1 as the consensus is that the Mojo 1 is somehow super amazing.

I guess I must have a particular set of ears that somehow finds the Mojo 1 "digital" and "harsh". I honestly thought my Mojo 1 was broken all this time.
Wow, you have the DAVE. What an amazing DAC and headphone amplifier. Certainly you are on the very very very top of the summit and we are all so envious, in a nice way. We all wish we had the DAVE which is an extraordinary piece of gear. Mojo? what Mojo when you have the DAVE... Right?

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #2,794 of 10,526
Wow, you have the DAVE. What an amazing DAC and headphone amplifier. Certainly you are on the very very very top of the summit and we are all so envious, in a nice way. We all wish we had the DAVE which is an extraordinary piece of gear. Mojo? what Mojo when you have the DAVE... Right?
I've just gone and bought a DAVID. Heard it's far superior to the DAVE, so yah boo sucks!

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #2,796 of 10,526
Received my M2 & Poly last week. It's my first Chord stuff.

Poly was still at FW 2.xx, so I had to return to dealer for update, will arrive next days.

2nd topic is the battery on my M2.
My Mojo 2 plays only 3 hours on a Grado PS500e after fully 100% charged.
After one night unused, the next day the battery was fully depleted after 50% charging level the day before switching off.

Seems my start with Chord devices are not that good

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #2,798 of 10,526

If you read what I wrote, i was not comparing it to my Chord Dave. I was only saying, that my Chord Dave also doesn't sound like that, just like my "consumer-level" device with a headphone output I was testing it against. The correct sound is not supposed to sound that "harsh".

Now if you try to make a "narrative" out of something, have fun and go run your show.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #2,799 of 10,526
I've just gone and bought a DAVID. Heard it's far superior to the DAVE, so yah boo sucks!

What's up with you guys and your reading comprehension. I was comparing the Mojo against a consumer level device with a build-in headphone output.

But good thing I didn't say what device it is, seeing how you guys are already reacting to this, as I bet you guys will go nuts.

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #2,800 of 10,526
What's up with you guys and your reading comprehension. I was comparing the Mojo against a consumer level device with a build-in headphone output.

But good thing I didn't say what device it is, seeing how you guys are already reacting to this, as I bet you guys will go nuts.
I think perhaps there is a language issue. I found your post confusing and unclear.

Enjoy the DAVE!

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #2,801 of 10,526
I think perhaps there is a language issue. I found your post confusing and unclear.

Enjoy the DAVE!

Have fun with the Mojo.

I have not used the Poly + Mojo for a long time now (except yesterday to compare it against the Mojo2 ), and it is not because of the Chord Dave.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #2,803 of 10,526
Be a "man" and say what device. If its truth, then are You ashamed of that?

I have been long enough on head-fi to know what will trigger the community. So I won't mention it based on my past experience on this board. So let's just move on.

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #2,804 of 10,526
I have been long enough on head-fi to know what will trigger the community. So I won't mention it based on my past experience on this board. So let's just move on.

dude, just say what it is, its perfectly ok to think one thing is better than another... happens all the time, i think now people are just curious what it is you prefer, some people prefer ifi products, some people prefer fiio products... i dont think anybody really wants a fight about it, maybe it will trigger an interesting discussion and comparison.

some might even doubt you have a mojo 2 to listen to, so like... shut them up, throw up a picture of the mojo and mojo 2 side by side and give us your honest impressions on what you like and dislike compared to this other mystery amp/dac.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,805 of 10,526
Interesting impressions! Thanks for sharing.
Could you do a comparison with your IEMs and the DigiOne Signature input vs USB input (I assume you are using a PC or Laptop?)
I found USB fom my laptop to sound clearly the worst of all options I tried, but it also depends on the computer. My MacBook Pro 2014 sounds way better than the current HP laptop over USB. Optical out from the MBP gave the smoothest sound and darkest background.

Sure! Thanks for reminding me to use my IEMs with the Allo. I usually just walk around with these guys or they are for listening to music while in the office.

USB (included cable) v. the Allo DigiOne Signature with Alclair RSM Quad IEMs:
  • Cliche' blacker background with the Allo
  • Smoother drum hits (especially cymbals). This is really apparent with rock and metal for me. The drums make more sense. Cymbals sound less like artifacting.
  • The biggest difference is that the stage seems to decompress. It expands well outside of my head and this gives me a strange comforting relief. I'm not straining to make sense of sounds as much.
I think a lot about this 'straining to make sense of sounds'. Whether I'm listening to IEMs or my speakers on my sofa; I notice that sometimes it's difficult to relax my face. I close my eyes but I'm still squinting as if I am looking for things because something doesn't quite make sense. I think that's the cause. I'm actually squinting.

The change from the Mojo 1 to the 2 results in a lot less squinting. The change from the USB to the Allo/Coax input is about equally as big of a change. If you're currently using USB to a Mojo and listen to Roon, I highly recommend the Allo DigiOne signature. With that said, I imagine these are similar to the changes I would see using a Poly as a roon endpoint as well.

I'm considering picking up a used Poly to compare. But at the price of the DigiOne, the used Poly would need to be a great deal. I could use the poly/OG mojo as an endpoint by my bedside for my IEMs. I often forget how much i like these IEMs because I'm generally using the USB input, so again, thank you for reminding me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back