Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,777 of 10,448
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,778 of 10,448
Feb 18, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,779 of 10,448
that does not sound normal to me, never had it in the time ive used it but i admittedly use it mostly desktop mode. i know the mojo does have a thermal cut off switch so if it gets too hot it will save itself by shutting off and it should be left 10 minutes before switching back on, however that is the original mojo and the mojo 2 is significantly more efficient with heat output far less (although i will say mine does still get hot to the touch even in desktop mode where battery is out of the equation).

i am slightly worried about how hot it gets, not had an original but with how warm/hot the mojo 2 gets i cant imagine how bad the original was, but we must keep in mind its an amp, they get warm by nature of what they are.

is yours hot when it shuts down?
You could also remove the battery altogether if using the M2 mostly in desktop mode, that way the heat wouldn't be a concern.

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #2,780 of 10,448
Is that "truly" balanced, then?

@Rob Watts any concerns using such an aftermarket product?

No - it's just an adaptor. You will lose a tiny bit of transparency due to extra contacts in the signal path though.

My Mojo 2 is auto shutting off after a while if no input is detected. The Mojo 2 battery is fully charged. Is this happening to anyone else?

That's by design - no locking SPDIF being present and the absence of VBUS (the 5v from the USB source) will cause Mojo 2 to shut down after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #2,781 of 10,448
That's by design - no locking SPDIF being present and the absence of VBUS (the 5v from the USB source) will cause Mojo 2 to shut down after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Thanks for the help.

My 3.0 FW Poly is attached to my Mojo 2 when the Mojo 2 auto switches off. This occurs even when the Mojo 2/ Poly combo is being charged.

So, the Mojo 2 isn’t seeing the Poly at all, I think. The Poly worked just fine with my Mojo 1. Not sure what is going on. I bought the Mojo 2 so I could stream music with the Poly. I am having difficulty.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #2,782 of 10,448
Thanks for the help.

My 3.0 FW Poly is attached to my Mojo 2 when the Mojo 2 auto switches off. This occurs even when the Mojo 2/ Poly combo is being charged.

So, the Mojo 2 isn’t seeing the Poly at all, I think. The Poly worked just fine with my Mojo 1. Not sure what is going on. I bought the Mojo 2 so I could stream music with the Poly. I am having difficulty.
Does this happen while you are playing music, or are you not able to play music though Poly/Mojo 2?

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #2,783 of 10,448
Does this happen while you are playing music, or are you not able to play music though Poly/Mojo 2?
The Poly won’t connect to GoFigure when attached to the Mojo 2 so no streaming music. The P light blinks orange and the M light is blue. The Poly worked well with Mojo 1 and has FW 3.0

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #2,784 of 10,448
All this time I thought my Mojo 1 was broken as I didn’t think it sounds good, while everybody is raving about it.

It appears that the Mojo 2 sounds just like my Mojo 1, so the good news is that my Mojo 1 works correctly. Sure, there are improvements but it still sounds like a “Mojo” so to say.

I have replaced my Poly + Mojo with something else, and so far I don’t see how the Poly + Mojo 2 will change that as it doesn’t sound that much better than the Mojo 1.

So I don’t think the upgrade is worth it. The Hugo 1 —> Hugo 2 was a much bigger upgrade.

The Mojo 2 is more like a Mojo 1.5 I’d say. So I will probably wait for a Mojo 3 which will hopefully sounds less “Mojo” and more accurate.

I will have the Mojo 2 on loan for 1 more day, so we shall see if it will change my mind.

I know I am in the minority who didn’t like the Mojo 1, so I guess for most people the Mojo 2 is good.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #2,785 of 10,448
All this time I thought my Mojo 1 was broken as I didn’t think it sounds good, while everybody is raving about it.
I've never heard a better sounding portable DAC/amp than the M1 (i haven't heard the M2).
If there was a better or superior sounding portable DAC/amp, i would own it.

Now, please share which portable DAC/amp, at any price, to your ears, sounds better (and not 'broken') than the original Mojo.
I'm waiting for your answer.

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #2,786 of 10,448

It appears that the Mojo 2 sounds just like my Mojo 1, so the good news is that my Mojo 1 works correctly. Sure, there are improvements but it still sounds like a “Mojo” so to say.

I have replaced my Poly + Mojo with something else, and so far I don’t see how the Poly + Mojo 2 will change that as it doesn’t sound that much better than the Mojo 1.

So I don’t think the upgrade is worth it. The Hugo 1 —> Hugo 2 was a much bigger upgrade.

The Mojo 2 is more like a Mojo 1.5 I’d say. So I will probably wait for a Mojo 3 which will hopefully sounds less “Mojo” and more accurate.

I will have the Mojo 2 on loan for 1 more day, so we shall see if it will change my mind.

I know I am in the minority who didn’t like the Mojo 1, so I guess for most people the Mojo 2 is good.

What do you like about the Hugo that you don’t get from the mojo 2?

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #2,787 of 10,448
I've never heard a better sounding portable DAC/amp than the M1 (i haven't heard the M2).
If there was a better or superior sounding portable DAC/amp, i would own it.

Now, please share which portable DAC/amp, at any price, to your ears, sounds better (and not 'broken') than the original Mojo.
I'm waiting for your answer.

The Mojo 1 is too digital and harsh which is not correct soundwise.

So one of the portable benchmarks I have used, it is not amazing. The Chord Dave absolutely destroys it. But that is to be expected as it is a consumer device which simply has a headphone output as an after thought.

I can take my AFC 2 Noire for example or whatever headphone and listen on this "consumer level" portable device and it is actually quite enjoyable to listen to. With the Mojo, there is always some "harshness" and "digital" sound which ruins the listening experience for me. The Mojo 1 is probably better at "technicalities", but the listening experience is not that great for me. Now I won't mention which device it is as head-fi will probably explode.

The Chord Dave (fully optimised to eliminate all external noise) also doesn't have this problem of the Mojo 1. I can take my Focal Utopia (with super high-end cables) and it sounds super smooth, relaxed and analog with a massive soundstage. Yet at the same time, you hear absolutely everything. Basically everything sounds amazing on this setup.

So I basically miss the sit back and enjoy all the music experience with Mojo 1. Now I know I am the minority, so you should probably ignore my opinion about the Mojo 1 as the consensus is that the Mojo 1 is somehow super amazing.

I guess I must have a particular set of ears that somehow finds the Mojo 1 "digital" and "harsh". I honestly thought my Mojo 1 was broken all this time.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #2,788 of 10,448
What do you like about the Hugo that you don’t get from the mojo 2?

I'm not a big fan of the Hugo 2 either, as there are big improvements that can be made in comparison to higher end DAC's. But, I guess this is the best portable solution for an office setting, so what I can do?

The Mojo 2 sounds a bit more "digital" and "harsh" than the Hugo 2. And I don't like that. But the Hugo 2 also sounds a bit "digital" and "harsh" too if you compare it against higher end DAC's. So I guess, the Hugo 2 is "less bad" or the "lesser of two evils" out of the 2 devices.

Also with the 2Go + Hugo 2, I have a better "listening experience" so it say. Probably because it sounds less "digital" and "harsh".

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #2,789 of 10,448
It's all a matter of perspective, synergy and personal preference. In any subjective comparisons, if you have very high end gear to use as a yardstick, you will always find the lesser gear lacking somewhere. For meaningful comparison, price has to be taken into account. Also, how hard the output is working can make a huge difference to sound. Portable / battery powered gear will sound less good if it's working hard to drive a difficult load.

Personally, and only on one pair of headphones, I found that, for me, Shanling M6 (the old AKM 4495 one) had better resolution and nuance than Mojo 2. These are / were of comparable price. Mojo 2 had better drive and rythmic properties though.

Dave sets an extremely high bar, most stuff will sound broken if that's what you are used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back