Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #121 of 10,526
On their website... “mobile” is the mojo. The hugo is in its own category. They need to compete with that iFi Diablo if they want a share of the sub 1k portable market. They need something slightly more powerful than the mojo, with fixed battery issues and improved/up-to-date feature set. Reference sound, good measurements.
The Mojo is only the sole representative for mobile on their website because it’s currently the only truly mobile product they make. What they may make in the future for the mobile category is anybody’s guess... and speaks directly to my post that you’re quoting.

If, for instance, the ”new mobile item” that Chord is planning on launching turns out to be dongle with nearly the same performance as the Mojo but in a smaller package and price point, then many folks who were taking Franks’ hints as pointing to a Mojo 2 are going to be somewhat disappointed.

So all I was saying is that with this amount of time since the intro of the original Mojo, perhaps he shouldn’t be quite so coy. A little coyness is fine, but if you’re teasing a Mojo 2, then tease a Mojo 2. Because right now, everybody is going to take any and all “mobile item” hints as proof-positive of a Mojo 2 coming soon. And if the hint is in fact about another product (the above theoretical dongle, for instance) then a lot of people will be disappointed... even if the dongle (or whatever) is a superb product in it‘s own right.

That all said, I absolutely agree that if Chord wants to compete in this segment, then their target needs to be the Diablo... iFi has laid down the gauntlet with that device. It’s a fantastic piece of kit at a price point well below what one would expect to pay for the sound, decoding, and streaming capabilities.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #122 of 10,526
I was chatting with an authorized US Chord dealer a few weeks ago about ordering a mojo when most places were out of stock. He stated that they were getting a new shipment in a week or so and that this would be the last shipment of mojo’s as Chord will be releasing the Mojo 2 in a few months.

Here’s to hoping it is true!

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #123 of 10,526
I was chatting with an authorized US Chord dealer a few weeks ago about ordering a mojo when most places were out of stock. He stated that they were getting a new shipment in a week or so and that this would be the last shipment of mojo’s as Chord will be releasing the Mojo 2 in a few months.

Here’s hoping indeed!

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #124 of 10,526
The Mojo is only the sole representative for mobile on their website because it’s currently the only truly mobile product they make. What they may make in the future for the mobile category is anybody’s guess... and speaks directly to my post that you’re quoting.

If, for instance, the ”new mobile item” that Chord is planning on launching turns out to be dongle with nearly the same performance as the Mojo but in a smaller package and price point, then many folks who were taking Franks’ hints as pointing to a Mojo 2 are going to be somewhat disappointed.

So all I was saying is that with this amount of time since the intro of the original Mojo, perhaps he shouldn’t be quite so coy. A little coyness is fine, but if you’re teasing a Mojo 2, then tease a Mojo 2. Because right now, everybody is going to take any and all “mobile item” hints as proof-positive of a Mojo 2 coming soon. And if the hint is in fact about another product (the above theoretical dongle, for instance) then a lot of people will be disappointed... even if the dongle (or whatever) is a superb product in it‘s own right.

That all said, I absolutely agree that if Chord wants to compete in this segment, then their target needs to be the Diablo... iFi has laid down the gauntlet with that device. It’s a fantastic piece of kit at a price point well below what one would expect to pay for the sound, decoding, and streaming capabilities.
I hear you... I still think (and moreso hope) he was hinting at a Mojo 2. But you’re right... it could be anything. A mojo, a dongle, a case (haha). It’d be awesome if he had dropped another hint and maybe they will if this gets enough attention. I like Chord... I hope they can pull it off with a diablo competitor. Right now the mojo only beats the Diablo in one major way: cost.

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #127 of 10,526
I’m
If the new Mojo is not Chord's take on say Fiio BRT5, forget it.
It will never happen and if it did, the product would suck.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #128 of 10,526
I’m
It will never happen and if it did, the product would suck.
Whaaaaat? 😂

Let me tell you what sucked big time: being an early Poly adopter. I still suffer from PTSD from that combo. By the time Chord got working with the third firmware update I was sick of it and sold the pair.

What would be wrong with an LDAC endowed Mojo2 that lives in my pocket on the go and then gets plugged in via USB C cable to my laptop at the office?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #129 of 10,526

You guys may be on to something instead of /r/conspiracy. I checked a top US site and Mojos are out of stock. I've never really seen that happen.

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #130 of 10,526
IMO, the only Chord competitor's are the FPGA technology at a reasonable price and supply, Rob Watt's health and COVID. The inability of the FPGA to progress or supply is what limited new Mojo's.. Even if Chord breaks even on Mojos, it's a great Marketing tool or gateway drug to their other products.

Off-the-shelf flavor of the month DACs are NOT. I'm sure there are tons of forgotten DACs that were here today, gone tomorrow as they easily come and go throughout the Mojo's product cycle.

I'm at the extreme where I rather be waterboarded than to listen to a DAP or off-the-shelf DAC. I welcome and excited about the possibility of a Mojo2, but I'm just not ready for it because I'm focusing on a desktop rig due to COVID.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #131 of 10,526
I really wanted to get a Chord Mojo to power my Sundaras. But the current form factor (micro USB) and battery issues that I read about really turned me off. So, I bought a cheap amp/dac to tide me over until a new portable Chord unit is released.

The funny thing is that my cheapy amp ticks all of my personal needs boxes... USB-C, a switch to change the amp from battery to USB power so that I can use it in desktop mode, multiple gain levels, bass boost, optional BT with LDAC support, and more than sufficient power to drive my cans.

I'd love all of these things in an updated Mojo, but would be willing to compromise on some features for the big boost in SQ that I expect.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #133 of 10,526
Interesting. I have found M11 Pro to sound way more engaging, detailed and fun to listen to than Mojo. Sold them both when got an RME ADI-2 DAC that trashed them for sound quality.

It all comes down to personal preferences and taste however I find it unfair to compare small portable product like Mojo with desktop dac like RME. TT2 is also more musical and detailed than Mojo for example but it is not a fair comparison either.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #135 of 10,526
I hope in terms of technical advancement and to have more taps inside Mojo, they don't make it as thinner sounding as Hugo2. I enjoy the sound signature of Mojo AS-IS. May be better USB to reject noise etc but please don't change sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back