Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #151 of 10,526
In regards to mscaler, honestly it wouldn't surprise me. If you look at the actual internals of the mscaler the chassis could likely be about 1/8th the current size.

Rob Watts has stated that for the number of taps and amount of real-time processing the MScaler does, the size of the chassis is fully appropriate due the fan-less design for thermal cooling. The heart of the MScaler (near the underside rear) runs very hot and the chassis acts like a big heatsink.

If a Mojo 2 has a mini MScaler in it, you can bet it will be a lot less taps.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #152 of 10,526
Rob Watts has stated that for the number of taps and amount of real-time processing the MScaler does, the size of the chassis is fully appropriate due the fan-less design for thermal cooling. The heart of the MScaler (near the underside rear) runs very hot and the chassis acts like a big heatsink.

If a Mojo 2 has a mini MScaler in it, you can bet it will be a lot less taps.
I think the thing is though, the whole point of the mscaler is to allow for more intensive filters than could be run on the dac itself.

Im not sure why they would have the option on the new mojo to enable/disable a 'better' filter other than mayyybe for battery life reasons?

It just seems an odd thing to have as an option rather than an integrated feature.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #153 of 10,526
There isn't exactly much m-scaler competition other than something like hqplayer. And it certainly seems to sell well so I'm not sure if making it obsolete would be good from a business standpoint.

Depends on how would you define m-scaler competitor, but there are other software players like Audirvana that can handle upsampling despite hqplayer being most advanced in terms of settings. There are also other cd players/transports that can upsample just like Chord Blu. Simply other manufactures are not offering their upsampling hardware in a separate case as additional product like Chord does.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #154 of 10,526
Probably a "Mode" button. Weren't a lot of people complaining about not having a "desktop mode" (not wanting to go thru the battery)?

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #155 of 10,526
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #156 of 10,526
Probably a "Mode" button. Weren't a lot of people complaining about not having a "desktop mode" (not wanting to go thru the battery)?

This actually makes more sense.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #157 of 10,526
Depends on how would you define m-scaler competitor, but there are other software players like Audirvana that can handle upsampling despite hqplayer being most advanced in terms of settings. There are also other cd players/transports that can upsample just like Chord Blu. Simply other manufactures are not offering their upsampling hardware in a separate case as additional product like Chord does.
True. Though most of them seem to have drawbacks in various ways.

Some of them there is very little info about the actual design or specification of the filter used, and so the benefit is questionable.

And others like many of the CD transports, cannot work as a usb ddc like the mscaler.

Personally my preferred tool for sound quality alone is still hqplayer and I found that I preferred the sound of it (and the flexibility) compared to the mscaler. But still nothing beats the mscaler's plug-and-play convenience.

It would be nice to see a new mscaler at a reduced cost as the current price is... Well prohibitive to most to say the least.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #158 of 10,526
True. Though most of them seem to have drawbacks in various ways.

Some of them there is very little info about the actual design or specification of the filter used, and so the benefit is questionable.

And others like many of the CD transports, cannot work as a usb ddc like the mscaler.

Personally my preferred tool for sound quality alone is still hqplayer and I found that I preferred the sound of it (and the flexibility) compared to the mscaler. But still nothing beats the mscaler's plug-and-play convenience.

It would be nice to see a new mscaler at a reduced cost as the current price is... Well prohibitive to most to say the least.

This why I've said it depends on how you define competitor to m-scaler. As for information about actual design I would also argue that exact implementation is not know in case of m-scaler unless I've missed some technical data?

Indeed: reduced cost m-scaler would be a very interesting option however looking at Chord and other manufactures marketing strategy I wouldn't count on anything cheaper. The tendency is to introduce new producst with higer price tags. This also applies to Mojo segment where ifi had increased pricing for their new transportable dac/amps products and micro iDSD Signature predecessor: micro BL has been constantly mentioned as Mojo direct competitor or even killer.

Honestly speaking I think that best "gift" we could receive from Chord would be streaming solution, one that works flawlessly, out-of-the-box.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #160 of 10,526
Just the inclusion of micro-USB makes me believe there's no chance that this is a real product. If Chord chooses to release a product in 2021 with micro-USB, it's DOA IMO.

They probably have to because that's how the Poly connects.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #161 of 10,526
They probably have to because that's how the Poly connects.
Well, they don't "have to". Obviously they can choose to abandon Poly compatibility if they want to. IMO, they will lose more sales than they will gain from current Poly owners, if they don't include USB-C.

Are they likely to piss a lot of people off? Probably. But I think the better solution would be to provide an upgrade path for current Poly owners.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #162 of 10,526
The leaked pictures have now been taken offline from the link previously shared.

Obviously they can choose to abandon Poly compatibility if they want to. IMO, they will lose more sales than they will gain from current Poly owners, if they don't include USB-C.

The pics did show a USB-C port as well.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #164 of 10,526
As a Poly user, glad to see they haven't abandoned us :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back