Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #91 of 10,460
I agree Chord should just focus on core competencies. Seems like they are trying to re-invent the wheel with the foundational software instead of using proven open-source software. Not even considering the music software on top of the foundational software which is a questionable choice.

That being said, with current conditions I don't think their will be another Mojo for at least a year plus. It's like Entertainment studios not releasing any new movies or TV Shows. Everything is going to be on hold.

I was fortunate enough to make the current Mojo a neutral sounding device with no warmth. Someone likened it to a Hugo1 signature. That's my primary for the Mojo2 was a neutral signature. I have the best of both worlds now, A Hugo1 sound sig + small form factor portability. Hope to continue the tradition if Mojo2 released one day.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #93 of 10,460
I was fortunate enough to make the current Mojo a neutral sounding device with no warmth.
Do you mind if I ask how you did that? Consider me curious.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #94 of 10,460
Do you mind if I ask how you did that? Consider me curious.

I'm running a pure SQ (PCM via CPU via i2S audio bus via optical) signal. No USB contamination in the chain and then top if off with a glass optical cable (lifts veil) on the source side. No iOS/Android + Apps re-sampling either in the chain. Utilising same playback software on $10,000 music streamers. No RFI.

On the other end running neutral monitors. Everything measures flat so it was a real surprise it turned out neutral. Something unexpected, but most welcomed.

Not sure just neutral monitors alone or a combo of zero noise digital source + neutral monitors.

The poster that mentions the Mojo sounds more like the Hugo1 than the Hugo1 with a neutral monitor is a regular on the Chord Summit-Fi threads (has experience with most if not all Chord sigs) whom has owned a Hugo1. It makes sense as what was learned on the Hugo1 was applied to the Mojo (Hugo 1.5 tech-wise).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-15550380

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-15555583

I take into consideration cable signatures as well (taught to me by TOTL CIEM Shootout Nic):

IMO (Not Nic's):

Digital Source

Cable

Headphone

Opinion
NeutralNeutralNeutralOptimal
NeutralWarmNeutralGood, Can be Great
NeutralNeutralWarmGood, Can be Great
NeutralWarmWarmToo Warm
WarmNeutralNeutralGood, Can be Great
WarmNeutralWarmToo Warm
WarmWarmNeutralToo Warm
WarmWarmWarmWar(m) Crime

I don't think many people do as I see pure 'warm' rigs regularly.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #95 of 10,460
I'm running a pure SQ (PCM via CPU via i2S audio bus via optical) signal. No USB contamination in the chain and then top if off with a glass optical cable on the source side. No iOS/Android + Apps re-sampling either in the chain. Utilising same playback software on $10,000 music streamers. No RFI.

On the other end running neutral monitors. Everything measures flat so it was a real surprise it turned out neutral. Something unexpected, but most welcomed.

Not sure just neutral monitors alone or a combo of zero noise digital source + neutral monitors.

The poster that mentions the Mojo sounds more like the Hugo1 than the Hugo1 with a neutral monitor is a regular on the Chord Summit-Fi threads (has experience with most if not all Chord sigs) whom has owned a Hugo1. It makes sense as what was learned on the Hugo1 was applied to the Mojo (Hugo 1.5 tech-wise).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-15550380

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-15555583

I take into consideration cable signatures as well (taught to me by TOTL CIEM Shootout Nic):

IMO (Not Nic's):

Digital Source

Cable

Headphone

Opinion
NeutralNeutralNeutralOptimal
NeutralWarmNeutralGood, Can be Great
NeutralNeutralWarmGood, Can be Great
NeutralWarmWarmToo Warm
WarmNeutralNeutralGood, Can be Great
WarmNeutralWarmToo Warm
WarmWarmNeutralToo Warm
WarmWarmWarmWar(m) Crime

I don't think many people do as I see pure 'warm' rigs regularly.
i want to feed my dac without any usb poop.
i have a cardas cable usb but other that that just using a regular usb port from my laptop, what do you recommend i do to make the signal better?

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #96 of 10,460
i want to feed my dac without any usb poop.
i have a cardas cable usb but other that that just using a regular usb port from my laptop, what do you recommend i do to make the signal better?

I'll get back in May as the product is sold out for now. Due to conditions, I'm not sure when the product will be available again. I listed some Pro and Cons in another thread, but will copy and paste here. It really has changed my Chord experience:

Pros:
  • I can actually listen to RBCDs now. RW was right all along about RBCD.
  • PrAT. The music slows down a bit, takes a deep breathe and then just performs at such a amazing beautiful pace. I cannot live without this Pro now. It's like a completely different Chord device.
  • I can control UI wirelessly with almost zero lag / latency even with an Apple Watch or IR Remote Control which is a great option for portability.
  • Separation of duties and true Plug-and-Play. Any iOS updates will not cause issues with SQ or connectivity issues. The back-end handles the processing and the playback. The front-end only handles the UI. So no silly re-sampling via iOS or an iOS app. I'm using Lifatec glass optical so I can swap between Hugo2 and Mojo with no issues, it's just an optical source like a TV/PS4/Mac optical out; but with an audiophile-grade implemention of a WM8804 optical decoder.
  • It takes away the warmth of the Mojo. Since I'm using a neutral CIEM monitor. The combo of an ground loop-free, noise floor-free and rfi/rf noise-free and neutral monitor turns the Mojo into a neutral device. No warmness at all. It makes sense since Mojo measures flat but very sensitive to it's environment (USB and RF noise) which may contribute to this warmness. Those environmental concerns are completely eliminated by going battery-power and optical.
  • I need a battery pack.
  • No USB involvement. PCM data from CPU travels via i2S audio bus to WM8804 optical decoder to Lifatec glass optical. It's pure SQ at it's finest. Optical gives the Chord devices better depth for a more 3D sound vs just wide. RW is a depth fanatic and I'm trying to learn to become one too.
  • I'm no longer looking at uber-expensive exaggerated TOTL CIEMs. I'm focusing on neutral flat accurate CIEM monitors only as I'm running the most neutral, accurate, resolute and transparent transportable (Hugo2) along with the most neutral cable (SilverFi R4) one can procure. Neutral and accurate plays well through different time periods, while exaggerated FOTM comes and go. It doesn't make sense to me using an exaggerated transducer when everything in the chain measures flat. This can change tho as having a complete flat neutral foundation allows you to optimise the CIEM whether flat or exaggerated.
  • The music file plays via RAM not SD card. RAM > SD card for music playback.
  • It runs the same back-end / playback software as the highest-end of music streamers.
Cons:
  • I have to extract SACD redbook layer now instead of DSD stuff. I try to run everything PCM now.
  • I need a battery pack.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #97 of 10,460
I just wonder if it worth buying Mojo and Poly now is just wait.

Of course in the end only Chord knows, but currently there does not seem to be any sign of a new Mojo in near future....unfortunately. So me personally, I wouldn`t wait....

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #98 of 10,460
I agree Chord should just focus on core competencies. Seems like they are trying to re-invent the wheel with the foundational software instead of using proven open-source software. Not even considering the music software on top of the foundational software which is a questionable choice.

On the other hand, I feel traditional audio companies earlier or later have to re-invent the wheel - at least in certain ways. Because audio is envolving in a more and more wireless and cloud based world in that nothing is possible without software anymore. If they don`t start to at least dip their feet into this word, they are going to die the same death as some of the analog camera makers, for example.

I agree though, that these first steps haven`t been going well for many small companies. I think the intelligent solution would be to cooperate with other companies.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #100 of 10,460
Couple months since the last post here... Anybody heard anything? If they are in fact doing a sequel, we’ve gotta be close to hearing some tangible rumors by now...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #101 of 10,460
My local shop has 25% off Chord still advertised. But they are not showing any new Chord items.

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #103 of 10,460
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #104 of 10,460
I'll get back in May as the product is sold out for now. Due to conditions, I'm not sure when the product will be available again. I listed some Pro and Cons in another thread, but will copy and paste here. It really has changed my Chord experience:

Pros:
  • I can actually listen to RBCDs now. RW was right all along about RBCD.
  • PrAT. The music slows down a bit, takes a deep breathe and then just performs at such a amazing beautiful pace. I cannot live without this Pro now. It's like a completely different Chord device.
  • I can control UI wirelessly with almost zero lag / latency even with an Apple Watch or IR Remote Control which is a great option for portability.
  • Separation of duties and true Plug-and-Play. Any iOS updates will not cause issues with SQ or connectivity issues. The back-end handles the processing and the playback. The front-end only handles the UI. So no silly re-sampling via iOS or an iOS app. I'm using Lifatec glass optical so I can swap between Hugo2 and Mojo with no issues, it's just an optical source like a TV/PS4/Mac optical out; but with an audiophile-grade implemention of a WM8804 optical decoder.
  • It takes away the warmth of the Mojo. Since I'm using a neutral CIEM monitor. The combo of an ground loop-free, noise floor-free and rfi/rf noise-free and neutral monitor turns the Mojo into a neutral device. No warmness at all. It makes sense since Mojo measures flat but very sensitive to it's environment (USB and RF noise) which may contribute to this warmness. Those environmental concerns are completely eliminated by going battery-power and optical.
  • I need a battery pack.
  • No USB involvement. PCM data from CPU travels via i2S audio bus to WM8804 optical decoder to Lifatec glass optical. It's pure SQ at it's finest. Optical gives the Chord devices better depth for a more 3D sound vs just wide. RW is a depth fanatic and I'm trying to learn to become one too.
  • I'm no longer looking at uber-expensive exaggerated TOTL CIEMs. I'm focusing on neutral flat accurate CIEM monitors only as I'm running the most neutral, accurate, resolute and transparent transportable (Hugo2) along with the most neutral cable (SilverFi R4) one can procure. Neutral and accurate plays well through different time periods, while exaggerated FOTM comes and go. It doesn't make sense to me using an exaggerated transducer when everything in the chain measures flat. This can change tho as having a complete flat neutral foundation allows you to optimise the CIEM whether flat or exaggerated.
  • The music file plays via RAM not SD card. RAM > SD card for music playback.
  • It runs the same back-end / playback software as the highest-end of music streamers.
Cons:
  • I have to extract SACD redbook layer now instead of DSD stuff. I try to run everything PCM now.
  • I need a battery pack.

What is "The product" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back