Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #106 of 10,458
It's time for a Chord Mojo 2. The Ifi Diablo is now in the market and it competes directly with the Chord Mojo. The Diablo is a great product. If Chord stands pat, the Diablo is going to each the Mojo's lunch. Here is to a Chord Mojo 2 in 2021.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #107 of 10,458
I heard a rumor that a Mojo successor was presented to a dealer. But don’t know anything else. Not even sure how reliable that rumor was. So for now just take it as fake news :wink:

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #108 of 10,458
It's time for a Chord Mojo 2. The Ifi Diablo is now in the market and it competes directly with the Chord Mojo. The Diablo is a great product. If Chord stands pat, the Diablo is going to each the Mojo's lunch. Here is to a Chord Mojo 2 in 2021.
I am not considering Diablo as a Mojo replacement since I've ifi micro stack and loosing xbass and 3d makes it pointless in my book since it means loosing some of joy and sound signature I'm looking for in case of ifi. I also do not see Signature as a competent Mojo replacement unless you really need output power to drive power hungry cans considering all the flaws Signature shares with older micro products including channel inbalance on low volume. Still would like to see Mojo upgrade but not necessary in 2021. If only Chord could make their streaming products better I would consider adding Poly as an upgrade.

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #109 of 10,458
I am not considering Diablo as a Mojo replacement since I've ifi micro stack and loosing xbass and 3d makes it pointless in my book since it means loosing some of joy and sound signature I'm looking for in case of ifi. I also do not see Signature as a competent Mojo replacement unless you really need output power to drive power hungry cans considering all the flaws Signature shares with older micro products including channel inbalance on low volume. Still would like to see Mojo upgrade but not necessary in 2021. If only Chord could make their streaming products better I would consider adding Poly as an upgrade.
I don't own any ifi products, so the Diablo was the first I had heard. It sounds great. So, if I am in a Hifi store that has both, I'd probably buy the Diablo over the Mojo today. The Diablo is priced in the gap between the Mojo and the Hugo 2. Pretty much in the sweet spot that Chord has not introduced a mobile product.

I own both a Mojo and a Poly and I agree that it would be better time spend fixing the Poly than the Mojo. All of the networking issues need to be fixed and it should do a better job working with a default Player. Implementing Tidal Connect would go a long way to solving most of its problems.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #111 of 10,458
Might be time to reconsider how successful a venture the Mojo price-point was for Chord?

We’ve all been assuming that since it was a hit and a bunch of units were sold, that it was a financial win for Chord, and a successor was coming... but this might not be the case. Very often, entry-level products from high-end manufacturers end up costing more than earning, despite healthy sales.

I only bring this up because at this late hour, just going by Chord’s usual timeline of product refreshes, it’s highly likely somebody would have heard or seen something tangible, if a second iteration of the Mojo were in fact coming. Something, anything. A credible rumor, for God’s sake. But there’s nothing. I mean, of course Coronavirus has slowed pretty much all boutique manufacturing, but it was already an old product more than a year ago.

At this point, with zero evidence that Chord is even considering a Mojo sequel, I’d say it’s more likely we’ll see a Hugo 3 than a Mojo 2.

I hate to be a downer, but I just don’t see another Mojo happening. I’d love to be wrong, and I’d be lying if I denied that part of the reason for this post is the hope that somebody over at Chord will spot it and say something, anything to dispute it.

But until that happens, gentlemen, just let me say this: the ancient Mojo is still a terrific-sounding (albeit dated and feature-lacking) DAC by today’s standards. But perhaps it is what it is... a one-and-done that we were lucky to get, not the start of a product line.

The Mojo is dead. Long live the Mojo.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #112 of 10,458
Might be time to reconsider how successful a venture the Mojo price-point was for Chord?

We’ve all been assuming that since it was a hit and a bunch of units were sold, that it was a financial win for Chord, and a successor was coming... but this might not be the case. Very often, entry-level products from high-end manufacturers end up costing more than earning, despite healthy sales.

I only bring this up because at this late hour, just going by Chord’s usual timeline of product refreshes, it’s highly likely somebody would have heard or seen something tangible, if a second iteration of the Mojo were in fact coming. Something, anything. A credible rumor, for God’s sake. But there’s nothing. I mean, of course Coronavirus has slowed pretty much all boutique manufacturing, but it was already an old product more than a year ago.

At this point, with zero evidence that Chord is even considering a Mojo sequel, I’d say it’s more likely we’ll see a Hugo 3 than a Mojo 2.

I hate to be a downer, but I just don’t see another Mojo happening. I’d love to be wrong, and I’d be lying if I denied that part of the reason for this post is the hope that somebody over at Chord will spot it and say something, anything to dispute it.

But until that happens, gentlemen, just let me say this: the ancient Mojo is still a terrific-sounding (albeit dated and feature-lacking) DAC by today’s standards. But perhaps it is what it is... a one-and-done that we were lucky to get, not the start of a product line.

The Mojo is dead. Long live the Mojo.
https://audiofi.net/2021/03/the-right-chord-at-the-right-time/

Is this what you’re looking for?

What products do you have lined up for release this year?

I’m sure you don’t really expect me to pre-announce what we have coming through. What I will say is we have been very busy, we expect to launch new mobile and new desktop items, and have been working hard on software updates for 2Go and Poly, and hardware issues that delayed the 2Yu coming to the market.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #113 of 10,458
Wow this thread is running since 2018 and old Mojo is still going strong like a king. Come on guys its HD6X0 of portable DAC

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #114 of 10,458
As I see it, Mojo 2 is gated by
  1. Thermal headroom. An FPGA that delivers more compute in the same power/thermal envelope.
  2. Pricing headroom. That more capable FPGA has to be roughly as affordable.
  3. Rob's time. Operating in Mojo's tight power, pricing, and product positioning constraints requires tweaking some tradeoffs.
I don't know how near or far any of those may be right now, but to me each of them is a reason Chord has limits to how often it even has the ability to debut a new Mojo-like product.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #115 of 10,458
As I see it, Mojo 2 is gated by
  1. Thermal headroom. An FPGA that delivers more compute in the same power/thermal envelope.
  2. Pricing headroom. That more capable FPGA has to be roughly as affordable.
  3. Rob's time. Operating in Mojo's tight power, pricing, and product positioning constraints requires tweaking some tradeoffs.
I don't know how near or far any of those may be right now, but to me each of them is a reason Chord has limits to how often it even has the ability to debut a new Mojo-like product.
John Franks hinted in an interview that Chord may be releasing new products in their mobile category. Unless they release a revised Poly I’m not sure what else it could be aside from a successor to the Mojo... a new leather case for the mojo? I’m placing my bets (and hopes) that we see a new mojo this year. Also.. look around. Mojos are out of stock everywhere right now.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/artix-ultrascale-plus.html

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #116 of 10,458
There's this too:

I don't know what specific products John was thinking of, but one of mine has been signed off for production, and production has started.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-16272151

And we expect to launch possibly four new products in the coming months.

Quote from the audiofi link from previous post.

So two products that has nothing to do with Rob Watts: 2YU and CD Player. Pass, Rob Watts not involved, not interested. Easy punt / pass.

At least one Rob Watts product and they mentioned releasing a mobile product, so Hugo3 or Mojo2 or something mobile TT?

What I will say is we have been very busy, we expect to launch new mobile and new desktop items

And probably another product we won't care for like the Huei.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #118 of 10,458

Is this what you’re looking for?

What products do you have lined up for release this year?

I’m sure you don’t really expect me to pre-announce what we have coming through. What I will say is we have been very busy, we expect to launch new mobile and new desktop items, and have been working hard on software updates for 2Go and Poly, and hardware issues that delayed the 2Yu coming to the market.
It’s definitely not a bad thing to hear.

That said (and maybe he’s just a little more cautious than me), if I were him I’d probably have been a little more forthcoming. Maybe not spill the beans entirely, but certainly give more of an indication if a Mojo successor were in the works or not. If you think about it, a statement of just slightly-more-transparent-vagueness is really a win-win. If you allude that you are not building a Mojo 2 then people are both excited by what you’re working on and will not be disappointed when it drops because they were expecting a Mojo 2. And if you allude that you are building a Mojo 2, then people go bananas, and your vendors start piling up pre-order interest before you even announce it.

I can see situations where my advocating for a more definitive statement would be jumping the gun, but with this scenario... Come on. We’re closing in on eight years since the original Mojo... Nearly a decade. Just say something either way, ha ha.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #119 of 10,458
It’s definitely not a bad thing to hear.

That said (and maybe he’s just a little more cautious than me), if I were him I’d probably have been a little more forthcoming. Maybe not spill the beans entirely, but certainly give more of an indication if a Mojo successor were in the works or not. If you think about it, a statement of just slightly-more-transparent-vagueness is really a win-win. If you allude that you are not building a Mojo 2 then people are both excited by what you’re working on and will not be disappointed when it drops because they were expecting a Mojo 2. And if you allude that you are building a Mojo 2, then people go bananas, and your vendors start piling up pre-order interest before you even announce it.

I can see situations where my advocating for a more definitive statement would be jumping the gun, but with this scenario... Come on. We’re closing in on eight years since the original Mojo... Nearly a decade. Just say something either way, ha ha
On their website... “mobile” is the mojo. The hugo is in its own category. They need to compete with that iFi Diablo if they want a share of the sub 1k portable market. They need something slightly more powerful than the mojo, with fixed battery issues and improved/up-to-date feature set. Reference sound, good measurements.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #120 of 10,458
If the mobile category release is a Chord mobile case and the product in production is a desktop dac I will be somewhat disappointed. With the FAD of USB dongles, there needs to be a balance in the force. DAPs and USB dongles don't do it for me. Only Chord will do. Hugo2 is too burdensome to grab and go.

Because of COVID and dedicating this year to building music streamers (1 portable [in anticipation of a Mojo2], 1 desktop), I'm not ready for a Chord mobile product till end of the year. But the rest on this thread deserve a Mojo refresh of some sort. Please don't let it be a Chord mobile case. Oh... we partnered with Van Nuys to bring you a official Chord/Van Nuys Mojo/Poly case...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back