Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 4, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #556 of 10,482
The M-Scaler button idea is unusual.

The other Chord DACs recognise M-Scaler present when both 384KHz coaxial inputs have cables attached. The Hugo 2 has a double coaxial input in one socket. The Hugo 2 must detect the M-Scaler in the same way, that both coaxial are in use, and play them together.

Hence a Mojo M-Scaler input would likely work the same. a double input coaxial socket like the Hugo 2. (Wheras the original Mojo I think could only work 384KHz on its single coaxial input. Meaning Mojo could only use half the M-Scaler taps.)

Therefore why would a Mojo need a button to be told M-Scaler is present? Unless the circuit to identify M-Scaler present is too big or tricky for Mojo 2, and a button is easier.

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #557 of 10,482
Although to be fair I have not heard any top end DAPs. I did however recently buy an A&K SR25. (It's a dual-DAC player.) Best DAP up to £1000 in today's released What HiFi Awards magazine. The SR25 is also widely accepted as 'best in class'. ............. To put it bluntly, the (original) Mojo flattens the A&K SR25. .. Not even close.
I've not spent much time with any Mojo, however I can appreciate it would be a significant SQ upgrade over SR25.

However, the SR25 delivers so many additional features that Mojo doesn't have which makes it much better standalone music player. Actually, those features make it a standalone music player, forget about 'better'. It's not even close :)

Streaming services are essential to my music listening on the go, so I if I had a Mojo, I would also have to get a Poly, and also carry around my phone. So a price comparison between the SR25 and Mojo is completely meaningless considering the ecosystem of extra gear you need with Mojo, let alone pocket space. Really, it's difficult to see the 2 as competitors at all.

All that said, I am very keen to see what comes next with Mojo2. Around the time I bought the SR25 I did consider a Mojo, but even at the time when I looked at it last year, it seemed very old in its product lifecycle so I passed.

Depending how good/great Mojo2 improvements are I might get one just because. BUT if it doesn't have any native way to stream to it, eg BT, then I'll probably just get a better A&K or maybe DX300.

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #558 of 10,482
As I wrote, Rob himself said he wishes he had included M Scaler input for Mojo

Your same question can be asked of Qutest.

Mojo for portable use, M Scaler when at home. Pretty simple logic if you ask me (see Robs comments in Mojo thread)

Based on the designers previous comments, its a no brainer Mojo will have M-Scaler input

Also think about the future, not just current M-Scaler

A future 2xM-Scaler may be much cheaper

Don't assume all future M-Scalers will be $5k ...
M-scaler input means dual BNC, right? Aren’t the female BNC connectors massive? Dig what you’re saying about Rob wanting it. But if there’s some giant metal protrusion, I’d have to think about whether I really want a Mojo 2.

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #559 of 10,482
I've not spent much time with any Mojo, however I can appreciate it would be a significant SQ upgrade over SR25.

However, the SR25 delivers so many additional features that Mojo doesn't have which makes it much better standalone music player. Actually, those features make it a standalone music player, forget about 'better'. It's not even close :)

Streaming services are essential to my music listening on the go, so I if I had a Mojo, I would also have to get a Poly, and also carry around my phone. So a price comparison between the SR25 and Mojo is completely meaningless considering the ecosystem of extra gear you need with Mojo, let alone pocket space. Really, it's difficult to see the 2 as competitors at all.

All that said, I am very keen to see what comes next with Mojo2. Around the time I bought the SR25 I did consider a Mojo, but even at the time when I looked at it last year, it seemed very old in its product lifecycle so I passed.

Depending how good/great Mojo2 improvements are I might get one just because. BUT if it doesn't have any native way to stream to it, eg BT, then I'll probably just get a better A&K or maybe DX300.
I think that’s the point – they’re not competitors. I have a DAP and the Mojo + Poly. I use both.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #560 of 10,482
M-scaler input means dual BNC, right? Aren’t the female BNC connectors massive?

No, have another read what I initially wrote...

Especially the part about Hugo2's 3.5mm dual coax digital input supporting M-Scaler hookup. That can be done today if you have a Hugo2 and M-Scaler.

Even though Hugo2 is half the price of M-Scaler :)

Then have a think about Rob's comment in Mojo thread that he wishes Mojo had that input...

Talking about price of M-Scaler vs Mojo is irrelevant - there will be a cheaper M-Scaler out at some point in the next few years.

Mojo2 has been planned for a future M-Scaler - Rob won't have the same regret again !

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #561 of 10,482
No, have another read what I initially wrote...

Especially the part about Hugo2's 3.5mm dual coax digital input supporting M-Scaler hookup. That can be done today if you have a Hugo2 and M-Scaler.

Even though Hugo2 is half the price of M-Scaler :)

Then have a think about Rob's comment in Mojo thread that he wishes Mojo had that input...

Talking about price of M-Scaler vs Mojo is irrelevant - there will be a cheaper M-Scaler out at some point in the next few years.

Mojo2 has been planned for a future M-Scaler - Rob won't have the same regret again !
Ah, I see. I had thought the Mojo coax was the same as the Hugo 2 coax, but you’ve clearly explained that’s not the case. Remain skeptical that more than a handful of people would actually find use for the combo. Perhaps it’s a sign that a mid-tier M-scaler could be coming.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #562 of 10,482
Here you go, lazy people

1636071485429.png

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #563 of 10,482
Ah, I see. I had thought the Mojo coax was the same as the Hugo 2 coax, but you’ve clearly explained that’s not the case. Remain skeptical that more than a handful of people would actually find use for the combo. Perhaps it’s a sign that a mid-tier M-scaler could be coming.

I already wrote in this thread, that Rob has written numerous times, he's not interested in <1 x M-Scaler.

Like a half M-Scaler.

Next will be 2M or 5M or 10M but not 0.5M

Chip shortages would have delayed this but Mojo2 will be planned for this. See Rob's post I shared above about Mojo1.

And connect the dots :)

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #564 of 10,482
I already wrote in this thread, that Rob has written numerous times, he's not interested in <1 x M-Scaler.

Like a half M-Scaler.

Next will be 2M or 5M or 10M but not 0.5M

Chip shortages would have delayed this but Mojo2 will be planned for this. See Rob's post I shared above about Mojo1.

And connect the dots :)
Missed that part earlier. I see the dots connecting.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #565 of 10,482
Missed that part earlier. I see the dots connecting.

In terms of predicted new Mojo2 features, M-Scaler input is probably the only one that is easy to predict (based on Rob's own public writing).

I can't really predict any other features with as much certainty.

Number of taps, filters options, number of elements, bluetooth, x-feed, quarter inch jack (yes I know the leaked image doesn't show that). All a big guessing game.

I doubt they will want to eat into too much into Hugo2 sales, so they have to keep some differentiators.

Oh I can bet the 2G mobile phone interference issues of Mojo1 (which people called RF issues but Rob said were 2G issues) will be fixed - that's another certainty.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #566 of 10,482
If I were a betting man I'd guess this for Mojo2:

1. M-Scaler (future cheaper model!) input
2. Bluetooth input
3. Just a couple filter options (smooth and incisive)
4. Same taps as Mojo1
5. No more interference issues of Mojo1
6. Desktop mode like Hugo2 (for better battery health / management)
7. Similar power output to Mojo1

This keeps it different to Hugo2 (Hugo2 still king of portables) but a nice upgrade on Mojo1 problems / missing features

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #567 of 10,482
If I were a betting man I'd guess this for Mojo2:

1. M-Scaler (future cheaper model!) input
2. Bluetooth input
3. Just a couple filter options (smooth and incisive)
4. Same taps as Mojo1
5. No more interference issues of Mojo1
6. Desktop mode like Hugo2 (for better battery health / management)
7. Similar power output to Mojo1

This keeps it different to Hugo2 (Hugo2 still king of portables) but a nice upgrade on Mojo1 problems / missing features
I would give you 1, 3, 5 and 6. I think Bluetooth makes it too much like H2. I also think taps will be higher or have a higher mode (yeah, I convinced myself). Regard8n #7, I think the current power level is fine, but if it were less and always pure class A (or a mode for this but greater power) that could be interesting. Maybe too hard on the battery though. But you always want moar power!

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #568 of 10,482
I would give you 1, 3, 5 and 6. I think Bluetooth makes it too much like H2. I also think taps will be higher or have a higher mode (yeah, I convinced myself). Regard8n #7, I think the current power level is fine, but if it were less and always pure class A (or a mode for this but greater power) that could be interesting. Maybe too hard on the battery though. But you always want moar power!

Main reason I guess same power and same taps - small battery in Mojo compared to Hugo2

Want more taps? Go to Hugo2 or add (future!?) M- Scaler

Want more power? Go to Hugo2

This keeps a good difference to Hugo2.

There is no way they can squeeze Hugo2's same 2 x batteries into Mojo's small case.

Battery capacity will limit DSP capability- always.

I agree blutooth may be the one that has to drop off my list. 50/50

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #569 of 10,482
I'm expecting Mojo 2 to feature an "Automatic WTA 2 Boost" feature. When Mojo 2 is fed by M Scaler, the taps that are used for WTA 1 become redundant. Rather than wasting those taps, they can be configured to work as WTA 2 taps..

This will make M Scaler + Mojo 2 sound better than M Scaler + Hugo 2.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #570 of 10,482
I'm expecting Mojo 2 to feature an "Automatic WTA 2 Boost" feature. When Mojo 2 is fed by M Scaler, the taps that are used for WTA 1 become redundant. Rather than wasting those taps, they can be configured to work as WTA 2 taps..

This will make M Scaler + Mojo 2 sound better than M Scaler + Hugo 2.

I look forward to the discussions on how the Mojo will sound better when connected to the M Scaler via 2m long 1500 euro BNC cables with ferrites. Now that would be a sight. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back