Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 13, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #5,011 of 10,828
apart from Hiby R3 series, what sub $200 DAP with touch screen, work best with Mojo 2 via coax in, please?
What are you looking for that the R3 does not offer?
I have been using the original R 3 with the original Mojo and it's been working brilliantly for playing the files stored on the SD card.
Clean and fast user interface, blind operation of the Mojo and R3 when in the pocket, good battery life.
The only limitation is that I have always kept Wifi off to prevent RFI, so I never used it with internet radio, streaming or HiBy App remote control.

I now have the Chord Poly for the Mojo 2 and it sounds great and works really well in my home Wifi environment, but out and about I really miss the simplicity of the Mojo/R3 stack... Really thinking what I should do, since for home use I have the Hugo2Go combo, and the Mojo2Poly was mainly planned for office and travel, which it does not fulfill that well to be honest.

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #5,012 of 10,828
I have been using the original R 3 with the original Mojo and it's been working brilliantly for playing the files stored on the SD card.
Clean and fast user interface, blind operation of the Mojo and R3 when in the pocket, good battery life.
The only limitation is that I have always kept Wifi off to prevent RFI, so I never used it with internet radio, streaming or HiBy App remote control.

I now have the Chord Poly for the Mojo 2 and it sounds great and works really well in my home Wifi environment, but out and about I really miss the simplicity of the Mojo/R3 stack... Really thinking what I should do, since for home use I have the Hugo2Go combo, and the Mojo2Poly was mainly planned for office and travel, which it does not fulfill that well to be honest.
thanks, have you ever compared sound from the usb to usb VS usb to 3.5 coax? wondering which one has better sound...

Jul 13, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #5,013 of 10,828
thanks, have you ever compared sound from the usb to usb VS usb to 3.5 coax? wondering which one has better sound...
Yes, I have compared it quite extesively and there are differences, but I find it a little hard to objectively say which one is better.
The USB connection sounds a little brighter and "more detailed" the Coax connection sounds a bit smoother.
I first preferred the USB connection, later changed to Coax.

Since then I have bought the Hugo2 added the 2Go, then Mojo 2 and Poly.
I should go back to test the inputs on the Mojo 2 to figure out the differences...

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #5,014 of 10,828
Yes, I have compared it quite extesively and there are differences, but I find it a little hard to objectively say which one is better.
The USB connection sounds a little brighter and "more detailed" the Coax connection sounds a bit smoother.
I first preferred the USB connection, later changed to Coax.

Since then I have bought the Hugo2 added the 2Go, then Mojo 2 and Poly.
I should go back to test the inputs on the Mojo 2 to figure out the differences...
Thanks again, exactly as my guess, coax is more "musical" and smooth.
My Mojo 2 is coming soon.... wonder if I need to get the R3 or stay with my, android with UAPP.

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #5,015 of 10,828
Some people said the Chord Mojo (1) sounded better than the Hugo 2, yet it seems alot of people are buying the Mojo 2, while the Mojo 2 is simply a Mojo 1 that tries to sound like a Hugo 2.

So what is going on?

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #5,016 of 10,828
Some people said the Chord Mojo (1) sounded better than the Hugo 2, yet it seems alot of people are buying the Mojo 2, while the Mojo 2 is simply a Mojo 1 that tries to sound like a Hugo 2.

So what is going on?
I disagree… mojo 2 is better than the mojo 1 in features and technical performance but sounds nothing like a Hugo 2 imo. I preferred the mojo 2 to the Hugo 2 when I a/b’ed it at a local shop.

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #5,017 of 10,828

So what is going on?
Eh? Never heard any claims the Mojo 1 sounds better or even like the Hugo 2. The Mojo 1 has a warm tint to it, whereas the Hugo 2 is decidedly neutral. Mojo 2 is much, much closer to Hugo 2 and quite far apart from Mojo 1.

Moreover, Mojo 2 is notably more refined in every respect than Mojo 1. Mojo 1 sounds muddy in comparison, with soft imaging and a lack of refinement. Mojo 2 is more precise with much better technical performance. I sold my Mojo 1 the minute I heard Mojo 2.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #5,018 of 10,828
Eh? Never heard any claims the Mojo 1 sounds better or even like the Hugo 2. The Mojo 1 has a warm tint to it, whereas the Hugo 2 is decidedly neutral. Mojo 2 is much, much closer to Hugo 2 and quite far apart from Mojo 1.

Moreover, Mojo 2 is notably more refined in every respect than Mojo 1. Mojo 1 sounds muddy in comparison, with soft imaging and a lack of refinement. Mojo 2 is more precise with much better technical performance. I sold my Mojo 1 the minute I heard Mojo 2.
True.
Mojo 1 and 2 are different sounding. I actually prefer Mojo 1's warm signature but Mojo 2 is clearly ahead with more power and features.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #5,019 of 10,828
True.
Mojo 1 and 2 are different sounding. I actually prefer Mojo 1's warm signature but Mojo 2 is clearly ahead with more power and features.
Quite. I can see the Mojo 1 having an enduring appeal - it's warm, smooth, and relaxed. The signature of the Mojo 2 is a departure from this. Probably one could EQ the Mojo 2 to sound like the Mojo 2, but personally I'm a big fan of the Mojo 2 direction.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #5,020 of 10,828
True.
I feel the mojo 2 still has plenty of warmth… which is why I said they sound more the same in technical performance it sounds way closer to a Hugo 2. Best way to put it, I think it takes the best part of Hugo 2 and mojo and put it in the mojo 2 but never reaching Hugo 2 performance.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #5,021 of 10,828
I feel the mojo 2 still has plenty of warmth… which is why I said they sound more the same in technical performance it sounds way closer to a Hugo 2. Best way to put it, I think it takes the best part of Hugo 2 and mojo and put it in the mojo 2.
Spot on - Mojo 2 is best part of Mojo 1 and Hugo 2. Well put.

Mojo 2 definitely does something the Hugo 2 doesn't. Despite having both, I don't always go for Hugo 2. The Mojo 2 also easily holds its own on a technical level.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #5,022 of 10,828
I feel the mojo 2 still has plenty of warmth… which is why I said they sound more the same in technical performance it sounds way closer to a Hugo 2. Best way to put it, I think it takes the best part of Hugo 2 and mojo and put it in the mojo 2 but never reaching Hugo 2 performance.
I would call Mojo 2 mostly neutral with a hint of warmth and smoothness. Mojo 1 was Calyx M level of warm.

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #5,023 of 10,828

I'd not really considered using a source like the R3 (or any other tbh) to pair with the Mojo 2 over my iPhone 13 pro. I can see what the benefits are - sd card support, external dap for when on go, smaller frame/carrying convenience.

Also, you mention RFI? What is this? How does Wifi effect the sound, please?

I guess what I'd need to know is:

1. sound quality differences between iPhone/mojo 2 vs R3/mojo 2 (if any).
2. Re the R3 - sound quality differences using coax to mojo 2 vs usb c to mojo 2.
3. How snappy/fast the interface is (obviously the benefit of iPhone is that its lightening fast).
4. Does R3 support Apple Music lossless too?

Would be grateful for your feedback.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #5,024 of 10,828
@Edyeded86 Here is a chart that explains all the connection possibilities.

F065CE73-5FB7-4331-BCD9-A626AA185CC8.jpeg

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #5,025 of 10,828
@Edyeded86 Here is a chart that explains all the connection possibilities.

F065CE73-5FB7-4331-BCD9-A626AA185CC8.jpeg
Thank you for this - very useful. Going to order from Amazon (via prime) to demo with the coax cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back