Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 10, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #4,981 of 11,001
The electrical noise that can travel down a usb cable and really mess with the sound quality. Nothing to do with the bits; they arrive intact and we hear music. But when you get an electrically super noisy environment like a computer, that noise travels. It’s why things like AudioQuest Jitterbugs and Telos Macro Q make such a difference. Galvanic isolation helps, but doesn’t get it all. Optical doesn’t suffer from it, but is an inherently high jitter format. Poly and 2Go are electrically quite devices connected directly. Much, much better.
As you move up the streamer market the designers spend a lot more of the budget on cleaning up power supplies and output stages, like Innuos and Auralic and others.
Thanks for this. Interesting to read! So,in essence the poly mojo 2 pair has a better power supply thus better sound quality? If this is true, does cables used also make a difference (currently using the micro usb to apple canasta adapter)

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #4,982 of 11,001
Thanks for this. Interesting to read! So,in essence the poly mojo 2 pair has a better power supply thus better sound quality? If this is true, does cables used also make a difference (currently using the micro usb to apple canasta adapter)
Poly improves things partly by being battery powered and removing mains noise. I’m assuming it’s also better because it’s made specifically for Mojo.
Cables…well some are convinced they help and some are convinced they don’t. There seem to be a number of different reasons why. All you can do is try a few and decide for yourself. Try to sort of ignore comments that are aggressively one way or the other. In the end it’s wether or not you think the difference is there.
Cheers
Mick

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #4,983 of 11,001
Hm, not in my experience. Had most of the DD adapters. Nicely priced, but in terms of build and reliability, you get what you pay for.
I agree! Recently I got two DD ddHiFi DJ35AR adapters. I use them to connect my IEMs which all have 2.5mm cables, to be used with my Qudelix-5K. Both of these adapters cause a "tsk-tsk" noise, like screeching, on both of the headphone outputs of my Mojo 2. I am getting this noise If I will rotate them a bit. The volume is also reduced. I need to find the right spot to listen to music. It also works if I will rotate them for a few seconds and then it seems to stop. This was an AliExpress purchase, otherwise I would have returned them, already. This does not happen if I will connect a 3.5mm cable directly.

Now I am waiting for a DD ddHiFi TC05 to arrive. I really hope it will function properly.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #4,984 of 11,001
96E8F5C8-F432-4918-BF09-C1C4B7924E33.jpeg

I’ve had nothing but good experience with all my DDHIFI adapters. 3.5,4.4,2.5

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #4,985 of 11,001
I have the plastic bodied 2.5mm to 3.5mm and 4.4mm DDhiFi adapters and several of the metal body ones in other configurations.

Without exception the metal bodied ones work flawlessly but the two plastic ones will cut out on a channel if moved around and disturbed.

I can't say I have noticed any sound quality problem with the plastic ones only that the connections can obviously be disturbed easily stopping the sound on one side.

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #4,989 of 11,001
Hey All—I'm new here but have been loving my Mojo 2. It was my favorite audio gear purchase because it appreciably improves the sound of anything I've plugged into it. My primary source is my iPhone 13 Mini and I thought I tracked down the perfect cable for the pair: the FiiO LT-LT1 Lightning to USB-C. Within about an hour of use I discovered the dreaded 'random noises.' Curiously, the M2 never did this with the stock micro USB or Apple USB-C. It's baffling that Chord would leave this flaw for so long. I emailed support and Ed got back to me right away stating that the only Lightning solution that works reliably is the Apple OTG dongle. So it seems I need to decide if this is a fatal flaw, live with the issue and tip-toe around the white noise, or live with a massive dongle daisy chain.

I see y'all are raving about some of the ddHIFI adapters, but I swore them off after I felt burned by the TC35 Pro Mountain dongle DAC. Interestingly, it suffers similar connectivity issues, where the slightest giggle could interrupt the connection and cause the DAC to reboot. No white noise fortunately, or if so it only happened twice and I thought it was an Apple Music problem. I fixed the issue by wrapping a little teflon floss around the base of the lightning connector. This mechanically stablized the connection and fixed the issue. Fortunately the FiiO cable has much better tolerances than the ddHIFI lightning connector which fit sloppily and was installed at about 85° rather than square.

The issue with the LT-LT1 cable seems similarly mechanical, but more difficult to reproduce. So far it is mostly triggered by mechanical movement when the connection is newly established. So I've been turning the volume down, tampering with the connection and reseating the cables if necessary. Once the cable is reseated, the connection seems normal and resilient to disturbances. I will have to observe this more, but needing to reseat makes me wonder if the connection is susceptible to the slightest amount of contamination on the lightning contacts. The white noise bursts or distortion are limited to the volume setting, so I can work around it but it worries me when listening to classical music. Sometimes when the white noise occurs, it is permanent and the connection has to be re-established to fix it.

Considering my ddHIFI woes and I've seen it reported that other Chord products suffer this issue sometimes even with the factory cable. Is this a wider USB issue? I wish there was a detailed technical explanation by Chord or another expert. It's tough to know which piece of gear could have a hardware issue. (ddHIFI/Audio46 offered to replace the TC35 Pro, but I declined after finding the floss fix, I may through some on the LT1 but it seems to be triggered by bending the cable.) Thanks for reading my rambles!

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #4,990 of 11,001

Thanks for reading my rambles!
No "rambles" at all, and I'd like to thank you for your detailed report! Personally, I prefer it much better than the one line response of the type "never had any issue, works perfectly for me". I have bought quite a few products from AliExpress. The ONLY products I have faced an issue, ever, are those 2 DD ddHiFi DJ35AR adapters, I mention above. I have already contacted them but it takes days for their customer service to read and reply. 👎👎Hope the DD ddHiFi TC05 I'm expecting this week will function properly. We will see...

Welcome, btw! :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #4,993 of 11,001
Hey All—I'm new here but have been loving my Mojo 2. It was my favorite audio gear purchase because it appreciably improves the sound of anything I've plugged into it. My primary source is my iPhone 13 Mini and I thought I tracked down the perfect cable for the pair: the FiiO LT-LT1 Lightning to USB-C. Within about an hour of use I discovered the dreaded 'random noises.' Curiously, the M2 never did this with the stock micro USB or Apple USB-C. It's baffling that Chord would leave this flaw for so long. I emailed support and Ed got back to me right away stating that the only Lightning solution that works reliably is the Apple OTG dongle. So it seems I need to decide if this is a fatal flaw, live with the issue and tip-toe around the white noise, or live with a massive dongle daisy chain.

I see y'all are raving about some of the ddHIFI adapters, but I swore them off after I felt burned by the TC35 Pro Mountain dongle DAC. Interestingly, it suffers similar connectivity issues, where the slightest giggle could interrupt the connection and cause the DAC to reboot. No white noise fortunately, or if so it only happened twice and I thought it was an Apple Music problem. I fixed the issue by wrapping a little teflon floss around the base of the lightning connector. This mechanically stablized the connection and fixed the issue. Fortunately the FiiO cable has much better tolerances than the ddHIFI lightning connector which fit sloppily and was installed at about 85° rather than square.

The issue with the LT-LT1 cable seems similarly mechanical, but more difficult to reproduce. So far it is mostly triggered by mechanical movement when the connection is newly established. So I've been turning the volume down, tampering with the connection and reseating the cables if necessary. Once the cable is reseated, the connection seems normal and resilient to disturbances. I will have to observe this more, but needing to reseat makes me wonder if the connection is susceptible to the slightest amount of contamination on the lightning contacts. The white noise bursts or distortion are limited to the volume setting, so I can work around it but it worries me when listening to classical music. Sometimes when the white noise occurs, it is permanent and the connection has to be re-established to fix it.

Considering my ddHIFI woes and I've seen it reported that other Chord products suffer this issue sometimes even with the factory cable. Is this a wider USB issue? I wish there was a detailed technical explanation by Chord or another expert. It's tough to know which piece of gear could have a hardware issue. (ddHIFI/Audio46 offered to replace the TC35 Pro, but I declined after finding the floss fix, I may through some on the LT1 but it seems to be triggered by bending the cable.) Thanks for reading my rambles!

I use a ddHiFi TC28i lightning to USB-C adapter whenever I want to use my iPhone to connect to an audio device, an original Mojo included. It appears that it contains essentially or exactly the same innards as the Apple Camera Kit dongle and in my experience has been 100% as effective as the Apple cable.

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/94995.html

It works flawlessly with everything I have connected it to including Mojo, iFi Gryphon, Diablo and Zen DAC and two flavours of Schiit DAC.

These might be worth a look also but I have not used them:

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/1287647.html

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/545951.html

I have never had much luck with Fiio cables, they seem to be best left to connecting their own gear regardless that the plug set up might seem appropriate - YMMV but it doesn't seem like it ! I had a lightning to micro cable for a Fiio Q5S and while it worked great with that it simply did not work for anything else at all, some wort of specific wiring set up I can only assume.

Another foolproof option is to buy a DAP that supports Coaxial or optical out and connect via that, no USB concerns at all. I usually use a Moon Audio cable from my Fiio M11 Plus to my Mojo.

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #4,994 of 11,001
Nice set up!
is that the original Mojo case?
Is original Mojo and Mojo 2 have same form and size?
Thanks. That is the orignal M1 case. Poly/Mojo2 are the same size. Only the + button is covered but I think of it as a guard or way to find buttons while in pocket.

Jul 11, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #4,995 of 11,001
I use a ddHiFi TC28i lightning to USB-C adapter whenever I want to use my iPhone to connect to an audio device, an original Mojo included.
So what type of cable do you use after the adapter? Would a regular USB-C work? The new iPad Mini with USB-C works with the M2 and an apple USB-C, but I need more portability.
I have never had much luck with Fiio cables...
Part of me wonders if this is just cable and or hardware lottery, several other users report success. @HTML @againa how are your LT-LT1cables? No noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back