Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jun 22, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #4,756 of 10,837
Exactly the way I am planning to use my Mojo 2 with my power supply that has the on/off button. Charging overnight and listening with my battery powered Mojo 2, during the day time. Of course, due to my lifestyle, my listening hours will be a few, per week (on the desktop).

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #4,757 of 10,837
I can't give universal advice, as each desktop setup is different. In most circumstances it won't matter, you can use any charger and the difference is so small as to not to worry about. So easy way is to simply disconnect the charger, and if it makes no SQ difference you are good to go. If it is significantly different, and you want better performance then use a powerful battery power bank and re-charge the powerbank overnight, and disconnect the powerbank from the mains when using Mojo 2.
Thanks that’s very helpful, and pragmatic as well!

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #4,758 of 10,837
I habe my sensitive full range speaker now. Based on Tang Band w4 2142 drivers. Not for party but load enough to fill my 30qm room for my usual listening level. Incredible, no power supply, high quality audio! Super cool.

Attachments

• 926706DD-F0CE-4356-8BA6-B9D908E8C5B6.jpeg
    926706DD-F0CE-4356-8BA6-B9D908E8C5B6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #4,762 of 10,837
Definitely not the prettiest bodge but functionally it’s fine for my needs, mojo 1 case was only £20 on ebay. A few minutes with a dremel was all it took to get the mojo 2 to fit.

The mojo 2 would not close at all due to the edges of both back & front apertures contacting the mojo 2 body, I placed two strips of pressure tape inside the case and this highlighted where the mojo 2 was contacting on the inside of the case so they had to ground down with the dremel and a quick whizz with a cutting disc to provide clearance for the extra button. Was going to go over my cuts with a bit of wet n’ dry but can’t be fussed, it’s decent enough for my needs with no sharp edges.

52166678677_0aaa92cf9f_h.jpg

52166678632_6e6d2d1417_h.jpg

52167701291_e6a9e77da3_h.jpg

52167941429_665d381e18_h.jpg

Jun 23, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,763 of 10,837
My mind is blown! Got a little 3.5 to terminal adapter and connected the Fostex horns via Belden 9497 16awg wire. Wowza! Skipping a dedicated amp (admitedly not the last word in hifi) completely changed the speakers. Now I can appreciate why people like these things so much. The background is pitch black, the amount of detail coming through is unbelievable and there is plenty of volume on tap. At dark blue dots it was getting uncomfortably loud in a 30sqm livingroom (on most tracks). I found I can now listen at higher volume without fatigue. Obviously tone and timbre are more true. I expected the lousy recordings to sound even lousier, but even that was not the case. Above all, I simply cant believe im listening to a battery powered, pack of cigarettes sized, pretty lights sprinkled on top thingy and getting so much performace. Sreaming qobuz direcly from rpi4 usb, need to get pi2aes into the mix, I really wonder if that can improove things even further.

In short this is a mind boggling experiment!

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_203048.jpg
    IMG_20220623_203048.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220601_143854.jpg
    IMG_20220601_143854.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #4,764 of 10,837
My mind is blown! Got a little 3.5 to terminal adapter and connected the Fostex horns via Belden 9497 16awg wire. Wowza! Skipping a dedicated amp (admitedly not the last word in hifi) completely changed the speakers. Now I can appreciate why people like these things so much. The background is pitch black, the amount of detail coming through is unbelievable and there is plenty of volume on tap. At dark blue dots it was getting uncomfortably loud in a 30sqm livingroom (on most tracks). I found I can now listen at higher volume without fatigue. Obviously tone and timbre are more true. I expected the lousy recordings to sound even lousier, but even that was not the case. Above all, I simply cant believe im listening to a battery powered, pack of cigarettes sized, pretty lights sprinkled on top thingy and getting so much performace. Sreaming qobuz direcly from rpi4 usb, need to get pi2aes into the mix, I really wonder if that can improove things even further.

Yes, Mojo2 is powerful enough for high sensitive speakers!

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #4,765 of 10,837

Seriously cool experiment, thanks for sharing. What difference do you think the pi2aes would make over the rpi4?

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #4,766 of 10,837
Seriously cool experiment, thanks for sharing. What difference do you think the pi2aes would make over the rpi4?
We shall see, I will be testing all inputs coax, optical and usb to mojo, and report here. Supposedly, there should be an improvment across the board, with suppressed noise playing from an even blacker background, aiding in all the finer things in music like depth perception, instrument separation, timbre etc. but honestly I'm not expecting much as mojo seems to be taking care of the signal pretty great actually. I suppose it can vary depending on the dac and its capabilities. I might get a poly down the line as well, just to see how it compares. Its a very attractive idea to just have a one box solution that can do so much, so well.

Btw, now im testing mojo2 directly to Soundartist ls35a, 83db efficient, 11ohm, fairly nearfield 1.5m, in the middle of the room. Its not loud, obviously, but for quiet listning it works well. Not as resolving as fostexes, but very round, full and sweet. Most importantly, the speakers are "gone" and the depth perception in this setup is immense.

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #4,767 of 10,837
We shall see, I will be testing all inputs coax, optical and usb to mojo, and report here. Supposedly, there should be an improvment across the board, with suppressed noise playing from an even blacker background, aiding in all the finer things in music like depth perception, instrument separation, timbre etc. but honestly I'm not expecting much as mojo seems to be taking care of the signal pretty great actually. I suppose it can vary depending on the dac and its capabilities. I might get a poly down the line as well, just to see how it compares. Its a very attractive idea to just have a one box solution that can do so much, so well.

Btw, now im testing mojo2 directly to Soundartist ls35a, 83db efficient, 11ohm, fairly nearfield 1.5m, in the middle of the room. Its not loud, obviously, but for quiet listning it works well. Not as resolving as fostexes, but very round, full and sweet. Most importantly, the speakers are "gone" and the depth perception in this setup is immense.
I also am waiting for my Poly, use an iPad via USB now with high res music from Amazon music. But my first gen auralic aries via optical sounded much better so I hope to get the same with the Poly. The idea is to have just one pack Mojo2Poly for all my music sessions: IEMs on the go, Passive high sensitivity speaker my room, active speaker in the living room. And Moyo2 DSP helps optimising all set ups. Super minimalistic, AirPlay for the family needs, SD card for max quality for me.

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #4,768 of 10,837
I also am waiting for my Poly, use an iPad via USB now with high res music from Amazon music. But my first gen auralic aries via optical sounded much better so I hope to get the same with the Poly. The idea is to have just one pack Mojo2Poly for all my music sessions: IEMs on the go, Passive high sensitivity speaker my room, active speaker in the living room. And Moyo2 DSP helps optimising all set ups. Super minimalistic, AirPlay for the family needs, SD card for max quality for me.
Beautiful! :) I think Chord should charge you extra money, you are getting so much value:) Keep us posted! Only thing that could be worse maybe is due to wireless connection of the poly, many users reported hardline (ethernet) improoved sq over using wifi with pi2aes, but poly is a different thing.

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #4,769 of 10,837
I have just changed my phone to an Android device (usb c). I previously used a Cayin USB C to lightening cable with my iPhone.

Anyone know what the appropriate cable is to connect the mojo 2 to a USB C connection? I guess that a usb C to usb C charging cable will not work ?

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #4,770 of 10,837
I have just changed my phone to an Android device (usb c). I previously used a Cayin USB C to lightening cable with my iPhone.

Anyone know what the appropriate cable is to connect the mojo 2 to a USB C connection? I guess that a usb C to usb C charging cable will not work ?
You need C to C OTG cable for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back