Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jun 20, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #4,726 of 11,002
Why do you think component burn in isn‘t real? Plenty of audio engineers who design products (and these are really good ones, at major companies) have stated why it’s the case. Yes, of course we become accustomed to the sound of something, but that doesn’t mean that equipment doesn’t change. Indeed, it doesn’t even mean that equipment changes less than your brain. Why the scepticism?

Welcome to the Chord Party!!

While I agree that at least some electronic components improve with burn-in (esp. when the engineers state so), Chord DACs are not among them. @Rob Watts has clearly stated that there is no burn-in among his DAC designs. That said, there is clearly a "brain burn-in" that takes place. For me, it took about 30 days of constant use with my OG Mojo. This is due to your brain adjusting to the incredibly accurate timing of his devices. Mr. Watts has discussed this multiple times in multiple threads here.

Enjoy the ride!:L3000:

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #4,727 of 11,002
So I finally, after several weeks of travel, had the opportunity to listen to the Mojo2 in my main speaker system. At first I was somewhat confused by the sound but after a while I remembered I still had crossfeed on. Crossfeed really messes up the sound stage in a 2 channel system.

Without crossfeed it immediately became apparent that the Mojo2 is so much better than my good old Exposure 2010S2 DAC, which is not totally surprising given that the Exposure, while more than twice the price of the Chord, came out 10 years ago.

So the Mojo will become my main Dac, at least until I finally end up purchasing the Naim Uniti HE in the next 3-6 months, which i expect to use as my main Dac&Streamer feeding my Exposure 3010S2 amp (which I won’t be replacing any time soon) as main source

Would I be better off listening to battery power or is the filtering in desktop mode good enough? And if I plug it in permanently what should I upgrade my charger to? So far I was charging the device from my IPad charger.
So, really no opinions here on the power supply issue? FYI, went to my dealer today to buy the original Chord leather case (a bit expensive but very good looking indeed), and he recommended to simply use any 5V charger, as the playback is decoupled from the charging.

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #4,728 of 11,002
So, really no opinions here on the power supply issue? FYI, went to my dealer today to buy the original Chord leather case (a bit expensive but very good looking indeed), and he recommended to simply use any 5V charger, as the playback is decoupled from the charging.
Hi, this is what I am using. A few pages back, I've been asking the same, myself. I've contacted Chord Support and they confirmed it's fine. The way I personally plan to use it, with my desktop computer, is to listen with the power supply turned off, so the Mojo 2 battery-powered, and then charge it during the night time. The on/off button on the power supply makes it easy. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #4,729 of 11,002
That recommendation is inline with Rob Watts' statements that a good switching mode power supply is better than a linear power supply. His explanation was that the noise caused by the SMPS is very easy to filter, but the linear power supply lets mains noise passs through which is virtually impossible to remove.
I'd personally go for an IFI iPower supply, this is what the Chord Hugo 2 is delivered with. Niot cheap, but if I remember correctly Rob Watts stated that this was the best Chord could find.

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #4,730 of 11,002
Just a question,
i always turn my PC into Energy Saving Mode when i "turn it off" practically.
But when i return into Windows on wake up i have to restart the Mojo 2 basically because there is no sound. Is there a way to fix that and has it downsides that i have to turn on the Mojo 2 again and again every wake up (35 minutes warm up and such)
I've tried to change the usb energy setting with no luck.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #4,731 of 11,002
Hello all,

I have had my mojo 2 since release and have had no issues with it until this evening....the menu button and two volume buttons are all white and do not change colour when in volume mode...they do change colour however when I cycle through the menu options...

Is there something I am doing wrong or is it a known fault?

Thank you for any advice on the matter.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #4,732 of 11,002
That recommendation is inline with Rob Watts' statements that a good switching mode power supply is better than a linear power supply. His explanation was that the noise caused by the SMPS is very easy to filter, but the linear power supply lets mains noise passs through which is virtually impossible to remove.
I'd personally go for an IFI iPower supply, this is what the Chord Hugo 2 is delivered with. Niot cheap, but if I remember correctly Rob Watts stated that this was the best Chord could find.

Cheers!
Never thought of it this way, very interesting. That also makes sense why many Pi2aes users including its designer say that a decent SMPS will be as good (sometimes better) than a budget LPSU. Probably very expensive ones do the job well enough on their own, but the price is way out of proportion at that point. Mean Well SMPS's get recommended as a good budget alternative, they even make a versions for medical equipment, which might have further benefits (hearsay).

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #4,733 of 11,002
Hello all,

I have had my mojo 2 since release and have had no issues with it until this evening....the menu button and two volume buttons are all white and do not change colour when in volume mode...they do change colour however when I cycle through the menu options...

Is there something I am doing wrong or is it a known fault?

Thank you for any advice on the matter.
First I've heard of anyone having this issue. Have no idea if this will work, but it's the first thing that popped into my head:

Go into menu mode, then press the two volume buttons simultaneously (same as muting the device when not in menu mode). That will reset the DSP functions.

Probably won't do anything, but worth a shot, I guess.

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #4,734 of 11,002
Well, isn't this just funny. When Mojo 2 came out early this year, I pretty much just chuckled over its rather gaudy design, but now that I started looking for a good portable dac/amp combo unit, I ended up getting one mere six months later!

Initially I set my eyes on iFi Gryphon, as on the first glance it looked like a more modern, flexible unit, but when I demoed it, I found 2 major problems:
  • There's not quite enough power on the unbalanced output, I mean, it gets enough volume out of all the headphones in my embarrassingly large collection, but ultimately there's so little headroom left with many of them that it's kind of bothersome, not to even mention that it simply would run out of juice if I ended up getting anything more thirsty for power. Obviously using the balanced output would fix that, but because my main rig is RME ADI-2 DAC with unbalanced outputs, there's no way that I would want to keep swapping cables around every time I'm changing equipment.
  • The analog sound processing effects unfortunately weren't to my tastes. Using my desktop ADI-2 has made me pretty demanding customer regarding adjustments to sound, and while Gryphon theoretically could do both of my minimum requirements (crossfeed and bass boost for the more bass-shy headphones), unfortunately both of their implementations lacked finesse and made far too large adjustments to the sound. While I like a little, 2-4 db bass boost with headphones like HD800S or HD600 below 200hz with a gentle slope, iFi's Xbass is simply just too much and reaches too high into the frequency range muddying the sound. Meanwhile, XSpace does some odd stuff with treble, and while it sounds good with some songs, it makes others sound annoyingly shrill - not good, crossfeed should be something I can leave on and forget about it when I want to reduce listening fatigue.
I mean, it wasn't a bad device besides that, the sound quality was rather pleasing and the sheer flexibility of all the available connections and functionalities sure has a value of its own, but those problems drove me to look for other options, which ironically led me to trying Mojo 2. When I first got it in my hands for a demo and saw the design and UI in practice, my reaction was again alongside the lines of "Really?", but when I actually started listening to it, my expression changed pretty quickly. The first thing I noticed was the increase in output power, so while Gryphon had to reach up to the turbo levels when listening to classical music on HD600, here I'm not even close to the top of the volume scale before I reach the point of enough is enough. Reassuring!

With closer listening, it became pretty much immediately evident that Mojo 2 just feels like a cleaner, more impactful device that stages the sound much better, with a sense of holography that Gryphon couldn't reach. I mean, both are good at what they do and the differences are relatively minor, but for me, they're still pretty obvious as long as I'm not just using the device for background music. Next up, the DSP features. Crossfeed? Excellent implementation, at least as good as in Adi-2 DAC and nearly as adjustable, and with zero treble foolery unlike with iFi. EQ? While 4 filters sounded like a ridiculously limited idea when I first read about them, in practice they very much allow me to do exactly what I usually want, eg. a very tasteful but still meaningful boost below 200hz. But still, the actual sound quality left the best impression on me, and is the thing that made me realize that I'm keeping the demo device within a hour of acquiring it.

That being said, I'm still not the biggest fan of the overall form of the device, and things like micro-usb ports for charging and no screen feel honestly pretty archaic for 2022's standards, but ultimately when I'm buying hifi and face a situation where I need to do compromises, sound quality is really the last thing I want to compromise on. So, despite everything, nice job with Mojo 2, Chord! I think that the fact that I ended up liking the device enough to buy it despite my negative first impressions is a pretty good testament on how much the actual performance of it impressed me :)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #4,735 of 11,002
because there are no evidence to support this claim? Just saying
There’s plenty. The easiest example is capacitors not reaching their spec until current has flowed through them for some time. Capacities not at spec don’t sound like they do when at spec. Have a listen to Duncan Myers or Graham Slee on this topic.

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #4,736 of 11,002
First I've heard of anyone having this issue. Have no idea if this will work, but it's the first thing that popped into my head:

Go into menu mode, then press the two volume buttons simultaneously (same as muting the device when not in menu mode). That will reset the DSP functions.

Probably won't do anything, but worth a shot, I guess.
Yea, I tried resetting it this way but no joy. It did get really hot earlier when trying to get it to work as a DAC into an external amp but cannot recall if this level of heat is usual when I use it this way or I was more aware of it as I was fault finding.

I have emailed the place I purchased it from to find out if they are aware of the issue.

Thank you for your input though. I appreciate it.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #4,737 of 11,002
Why do you think component burn in isn‘t real? Plenty of audio engineers who design products (and these are really good ones, at major companies) have stated why it’s the case. Yes, of course we become accustomed to the sound of something, but that doesn’t mean that equipment doesn’t change. Indeed, it doesn’t even mean that equipment changes less than your brain. Why the scepticism?
Don't get me wrong, there's no scepticism at all.
But our brain is the main player in this game.
Even if we think/thought we're on the right track, we're not. :)
It's more like a preconceived notions of things we've already experienced, which will be shaped piece by piece to the final state the longer we experience new things.
I'd say.

And as it was stated above, there's no technical burn in in Chords topology.

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #4,738 of 11,002
There’s plenty. The easiest example is capacitors not reaching their spec until current has flowed through them for some time. Capacities not at spec don’t sound like they do when at spec. Have a listen to Duncan Myers or Graham Slee on this topic.
I don’t think there are any capacitors in the signal path of Mojo2.

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #4,739 of 11,002
My mojo is now wireless without Poly. This provides so much flexibility and is a must have for on the go use if you don’t care for SD card.

It uses XDuoo 05BL Pro internals in a custom designed module created by @skedra

Attachments

• 4661D593-C0DF-4E14-9D72-592F5A2C8E5B.jpeg
    4661D593-C0DF-4E14-9D72-592F5A2C8E5B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • B1E22F2B-BAB7-4BB0-9BC9-AA84C5CF4F51.jpeg
    B1E22F2B-BAB7-4BB0-9BC9-AA84C5CF4F51.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 21, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #4,740 of 11,002
My mojo is now wireless without Poly. This provides so much flexibility and is a must have for on the go use if you don’t care for SD card.

It uses XDuoo 05BL Pro internals in a custom designed module created by @skedra
Very cute!
I adapted Xduoo original case to click to my Mojo and it worked.
Then I bought a Mojo cable adaptor from eBay for little money. This adaptor made by Chord, resembles a Poly, but it is pretty empty inside.
So I gutted the Xduoo, and put it inside the adaptor.
Looked good, worked.
The Xduoo is a good little unit, and its LDAC sounds good.
Topping makes something similar with Optical output.
For Toslink lovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back