Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 18, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #4,351 of 10,527
So that means that the amp of the Chord Mojo 2 will be bypassed when i connect the headphone socket to my external amp?
No circuitry is being bypassed, but it does not need to be.

You can happily run any amplifier from the output of any DAP/Dongle/Device regardless of whether it was/was not designed to drive headphones or not. The reason being that amplifiers have incredibly high input impedances and so they pull almost no current from the source device.

'Double amping' is usually a concern not for any inherent reason that feeding an amp with another amp is bad (other than that you usually would want to avoid extra stuff in the signal path if possible), but simply because the output of an amp can often go much higher than the standard 2v RCA or 4v XLR, and so it may clip the device you're feeding.

If you ensure you set your amp to output equivalent of line level (2v RCA / 4v XLR) then it'll work fine.
This includes the Mojo 2. Just set it to 2v as rob explained how above and you're good to go

May 18, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #4,353 of 10,527
No circuitry is being bypassed, but it does not need to be.

You can happily run any amplifier from the output of any DAP/Dongle/Device regardless of whether it was/was not designed to drive headphones or not. The reason being that amplifiers have incredibly high input impedances and so they pull almost no current from the source device.

'Double amping' is usually a concern not for any inherent reason that feeding an amp with another amp is bad (other than that you usually would want to avoid extra stuff in the signal path if possible), but simply because the output of an amp can often go much higher than the standard 2v RCA or 4v XLR, and so it may clip the device you're feeding.

If you ensure you set your amp to output equivalent of line level (2v RCA / 4v XLR) then it'll work fine.
This includes the Mojo 2. Just set it to 2v as rob explained how above and you're good to go
Thanks this is helpfully clear. today has been a day of learning!

May 18, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #4,354 of 10,527
It's worth noting however that there are some exceptions to this.
Those being current-mode devices (of which there are almost none on the market, the only ones that I can think of are bakoon and even then only a couple of their products), and tube amps.

These devices need lower impedance loads and you should not feed an amplifier (or run them unloaded) unless the manufacturer specifically says you can or provides some kind of preamp mode

May 18, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,355 of 10,527
Just to clarify - there is not a separate OP stage - there is a discrete OP stage, but this is part of the single amplifier circuit, with a single feedback path covering the OP stage and the gain section. So absolutely nothing in the analogue section ever gets bypassed irrespective of how Mojo 2 is used.

May 18, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #4,356 of 10,527
No problem.

I don't think that's possible as it has all digital inputs and Mojo doesn't have any digital output.
😥
Is there any other way to do this?
Or, do you know when the new Poly will come out?

May 18, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #4,358 of 10,527
It's worth noting however that there are some exceptions to this.
Those being current-mode devices (of which there are almost none on the market, the only ones that I can think of are bakoon and even then only a couple of their products), and tube amps.

These devices need lower impedance loads and you should not feed an amplifier (or run them unloaded) unless the manufacturer specifically says you can or provides some kind of preamp mode
@GoldenOne Can we expect a review and comparison video for Mojo2 on your channel?

Cheers.

May 18, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #4,359 of 10,527
Thank you! :)

I have one more question, this matters to me, if you or anyone else can enlighten me, I'd be grateful!!

How can I connect my Mojo 2 with my FiiO BTA30 Pro, so that I will be listening from my UTWS5?
Can this even happen?
What are the consequences to the sound quality?

Thanks a lot! :)
@dsrk is correct.
And there would be no point to it anyway, even if it was possible.

May 18, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #4,360 of 10,527
I'm sure no one would really care, but I'm pretty happy and wanted to share this somewhere with other Mojo2 fans

I was using the DCAS with the Mojo2, but I've since relegated the DCAS to the H2/2go for when I do long biz trips or am at home. So now for short biz trips, as well coffee shop days, I'll prolly be using this setup most of the time. poly/mojo/ha fw10k with nobunaga recable and spinfit eartips. Wasn't a fan of the 10k's before, but I enjoy the sound a little more with the recable and the better seal provided by the spinfit 500.

Sir John Barbirolli's rendition of Edward Elgar never sounded so good.
Nora Jones' Feels Like Home is exactly the way I wish it would sound
The Cinematic Orchestra's Les Ailes Pourpres is just what the doctor ordered
Friday Night in San Francisco's Mediterranean Sundance gives me goosebumps like I'm in the audience
Tommy Flanagan's Thadrack is smoky cramped studio sweaty grit
Stacey Kent's Too Darn Hot is studio magic
Lindsey Stirling's Elements (Orchestral version) gives me all the highs with none of the headache
Keiko Matsui's Moyo is all the resonance I could ever hope for

The list goes on and on.

So, you know...just wanted to share with the world that I'm a happy camper.

IMG_5176.JPG

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #4,361 of 10,527
Do someone remarked some channel imbalance in their Mojo 2 ? looks like the Left channel has slightly more power than the Right channel, in my unit.
Fortunately, it can be fixed via Windows output mixer (I need 97% to the Left channel to sound the same for both channels).
Tried various USB cables without any success.

May 19, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #4,362 of 10,527
Do someone remarked some channel imbalance in their Mojo 2 ? looks like the Left channel has slightly more power than the Right channel, in my unit.
Fortunately, it can be fixed via Windows output mixer (I need 97% to the Left channel to sound the same for both channels).
There is 97% chance it is due to earwax buildup, 3% earphones mismatch. 😊

May 19, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #4,363 of 10,527
It should have no channel imbalance unless your unit is defective.

May 21, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #4,365 of 10,527
Does it happen on both outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back