Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 28, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,437 of 10,452
The battery issue is blown out of proportion .
In UK at least, Chord can supply new batteries for about £40. if you check this forum, you find compatible batteries from Aliexpress for $20.
they work for 7+ hours on a full charge.
- Mojo classic has a softer, thicker midrange, Mojo2 is leaner but clearer (not always desired).
Treble on both is very good, same amount.
Bass on Mojo2 is better.
People should hold on to their Mojo classic, at least for six months, till Mojo2 passes the test of time and hype to die down a bit.
Another problem with the battery (according to some user reports i read) is that it loses its charge when not in use. That's a problem if you charge it and don't use for a week or two only to find out it lost 50% of its charge when you want to use it again.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,438 of 10,452
Another problem with the battery (according to some user reports i read) is that it loses its charge when not in use. That's a problem if you charge it and don't use for a week or two only to find out it lost 50% of its charge when you want to use it again.
My three year old spare phone is same.
Battery is cheap enough to replace every two years, even one.
And available !

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #3,439 of 10,452
My three year old spare phone is same.
Battery is cheap enough to replace every two years, even one.
And available !
That's not acceptable and much too inconvenient. I don't have this problem with any other battery powered device. This is why i removed the battery and use an external battery pack.

Attachments

• 20210917_145718.jpg
    20210917_145718.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #3,440 of 10,452
That's not acceptable and much too inconvenient. I don't have this problem with any other battery powered device. This is why i removed the battery and use an external battery pack.
You found my powerbank!
I left it on the plane a month ago, did you also find the microSD card reader? they were together. :dt880smile:

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #3,441 of 10,452
Agreed that was an issue with Mojo - if you left it on the shelf for several weeks you needed to top up the charge. One of the improvements I made was to reduce the standby current (this powers the on/off circuitry) by an order of magnitude - now with Mojo 2 it now takes 7 months to go from full charge to flat whilst leaving it on the shelf.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #3,443 of 10,452
Yesterday, it was the second time I've encountered a horrible white noise while I was listening to YouTube with my Mojo 2 connected via USB on my laptop. I was listening fairly loud, volume buttons lighted green, and all of the sudden this noise appeared! I had to shut it down and power it on, again. Does this have to do with the USB port on my laptop, malfunctioning?

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #3,444 of 10,452
I know, I've already installed it since day one, on my laptop. What I'm asking is, in Qobuz I see the following:

- ASIO Chord 1.05
- WASAPI Chord Mojo 2 (Chord Async 44.1kHz - 768kHz)
- WASAPI (Exclusive Mode) Chord Mojo 2 (Chord Async 44.1kHz - 768kHz)

Which one is best/recommended?
I got my Mojo 2 yesterday and found the only option that worked properly for Qobuz is the Wasapi Exclusive Mode.
For Spotify, I had to set the Default Format in the Sound Control Panel to 16 bit / 44.1kHz for it to work properly (Spotify doesn't do exclusive mode).

it's been a little fiddly and for a moment I thought my Mojo unit itself was faulty, but I think it's settled in now.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #3,445 of 10,452
Yesterday, it was the second time I've encountered a horrible white noise while I was listening to YouTube with my Mojo 2 connected via USB on my laptop. I was listening fairly loud, volume buttons lighted green, and all of the sudden this noise appeared! I had to shut it down and power it on, again. Does this have to do with the USB port on my laptop, malfunctioning?
Hi, I think I had the same problem, really jarring white noise, preceded by some clear crackles and pops.
I use a windows laptop as my source, also connected via USB to the Mojo - the noise manifested whether using the C or micro port.

I initially though my unit was faulty, but by playing around with the settings in the Sound Control Panel I managed to sort it out, for now.
Basically, for anything that doesn't play in Exclusive Mode (i.e. Spotify and YT) and only plays in shared mode, I set the default format to 16 bit / 44.1khz.
For Qobuz, which allows Wasapi Exclusive Mode, I make sure to always select that option and it works fine.

I'm guessing the noise comes from a some sort of mismatch in the digital signal being transferred from the laptop to the Mojo, but I am not an expert at all and hoping someone more knowledgeable can weigh in.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #3,446 of 10,452
Yes, yes

Absolutely

Agree, every word.

Well described .

I think it is in a class of its own, the most featured Chord DAC. Sound quality is closer to Mojo classic than Hugo2, in my opinion.

Mmmmm, not a fan of Chord crossfeed.

Again Mojo Classic is very good value at half the price.

Enjoy your current Mojo, unless you really want/need the features .

I approve of this post.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #3,447 of 10,452
@Derivative , thank you for your reply and for confirming. I am using Windows 11 Pro and below are my settings for the Mojo 2. When it comes to Qobuz, all the options I've posted earlier work for me. I am not using the Mojo 2 much, maybe 30 - 45 minutes every other day, due to lack of time. I purchased this device to use it as a desktop unit, exclusively. This is not a portable device to me. I am planning to connect it permanently with my desktop computer, which I will buy later this year. So, it is crucial to me that it will function properly with a computer.

@Rob Watts , can you please tell me why is this white noise happening and how can it be fixed? Have I set up the Mojo 2 properly on my current laptop?

Thank you

Attachments

• prop.png
    prop.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • adv.png
    adv.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #3,449 of 10,452
@Derivative , thank you for your reply and for confirming. I am using Windows 11 Pro and below are my settings for the Mojo 2. When it comes to Qobuz, all the options I've posted earlier work for me. I am not using the Mojo 2 much, maybe 30 - 45 minutes every other day, due to lack of time. I purchased this device to use it as a desktop unit, exclusively. This is not a portable device to me. I am planning to connect it permanently with my desktop computer, which I will buy later this year. So, it is crucial to me that it will function properly with a computer.

@Rob Watts , can you please tell me why is this white noise happening and how can it be fixed? Have I set up the Mojo 2 properly on my current laptop?

Thank you
I got the white noise when, like you, I selected the 32 bit / 384kHz format in shared mode.
It seems to have disappeared when I reduced this to the lowest quality, 16 bit / 44.1 kHz.

I'm also using the Mojo 2 as a desktop DAC/Amp, with the laptop as a source. However I'm considering getting a dedicated source.

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3,450 of 10,452
I got the white noise when, like you, I selected the 32 bit / 384kHz format in shared mode.
It seems to have disappeared when I reduced this to the lowest quality, 16 bit / 44.1 kHz.

I'm also using the Mojo 2 as a desktop DAC/Amp, with the laptop as a source. However I'm considering getting a dedicated source.
Substandard USB cable has low bandwidth, it is noisy and suffers from dropouts, it sends the (sensitive) USB input of Chord DACs crazy! hence the white noise.
At lower bitrates, it just manages.
I wish Chord fixes that instead of white noise, it just mutes!
Change your cable, check your connections, it is a known issue (with bad cables).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back