Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #3,421 of 10,477
lol ok cool at least it seems a few people have been running it as desktop unit so far. Keep me updated!

Ohhhh that's good to hear, yeah my concern is the drop of sound quality. But if you say it sounds the same then I'll probably try to see if I can find a Mojo 1 at good price, thanks!
For your needs the Mojo 2 would be better IMO.
* it is optimized for desktop mode
* you can modify the signature with EQ if needed
* bass definition and extension is improved over the Mojo 1, and transparency, staging, layering and separation will be a revelation - there are no components in the signal path, whereas the Mojo 1 used a coupling capacitor which takes a toll on transparency and definition, especially in the bass.

Mojo 1 was great, Mojo 2 will get you pretty close to Hugo 2 sound at 1/4 the price.

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #3,422 of 10,477
I've had the Mojo 2 for one week now. Paired with the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs. A little bit of eq tweaking. The lowest crossfade setting and things are really cooking.

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #3,423 of 10,477
I've had the Mojo 2 for one week now. Paired with the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs. A little bit of eq tweaking. The lowest crossfade setting and things are really cooking.
Your IEM has been recommended to me, because I am looking to upgrade my IEMs.
With no EQ what so ever, how does it sound?
- transparency?
- Treble clear?
- Bass resolution, amount?
- Midrange, vocals?
Thanx in advance.
Can PM me, if you prefer.

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,424 of 10,477
Anyone pair the Chord Mojo 2 with the Sony IER-M9? Would appreciate your listening impressions and EQ settings, if any. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #3,425 of 10,477
Anyone pair the Chord Mojo 2 with the Sony IER-M9? Would appreciate your listening impressions and EQ settings, if any. Thanks.
I am using the M9 with the original Mojo and the Hugo2Go.
The M9 is very revealing of the differences between the Mojo and the Hugo2, in fact it is my reference to judge these differences.
The Hugo 2 is characterized by very high definition, detail, clarity and separation from sub bass to treble, whereas the Mojo's strongest area is the midrange, which is also very detailed and clear, topped off with a fluid treble and a warm, somewhat slower and softer bass, lacking a bit of the definition and extension the Hugo 2 provides.
The other difference is the soundstage, Mojo is good compared to other DACs at it's price range, but the difference to Hugo 2 is quite big, with the H2 providing much more depth, layering and focus of the elements.

From all that has been said, it sounds like the Mojo 2 is right in between the original Mojo and the Hugo2, and at 1/4 of the price of the H2 it sounds like a steal!

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,426 of 10,477
@DecentLevi, “I'm not going to go full out and lambast the pioneering USA company of Chord Electronics.”

Chord is a British company. 😉 Perhaps you meant the US Chord distributor?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,427 of 10,477
For your needs the Mojo 2 would be better IMO.
* it is optimized for desktop mode
* you can modify the signature with EQ if needed
* bass definition and extension is improved over the Mojo 1, and transparency, staging, layering and separation will be a revelation - there are no components in the signal path, whereas the Mojo 1 used a coupling capacitor which takes a toll on transparency and definition, especially in the bass.

Mojo 1 was great, Mojo 2 will get you pretty close to Hugo 2 sound at 1/4 the price.
Heyyy thank you for your reply.

I think at this point I'm pretty set to give Mojo a try, just want to confirm a few more things before deciding on Mojo 1 vs Mojo 2.

I vaguely read Mojo has polite treble, but I do like my treble. Would you happen to know if Mojo 1 or Mojo 2 has more treble? (the more the better, though I guess Mojo 2 has EQ too so I can probably EQ it). Also to my understanding Mojo 1 has a bit more intimate vocal right? Does Mojo 2 still has forward vocal? And sounds like bass quality and quantity wise Mojo 2 wins from what you just said.

It's just that I have a friend in UK and he says he can most likely find me a Mojo 1 at half the price of Mojo 2. So I'm wondering if Mojo 2's improvements is worth it considering the huge price difference.

Thanks!!!

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #3,428 of 10,477

I think at this point I'm pretty set to give Mojo a try, just want to confirm a few more things before deciding on Mojo 1 vs Mojo 2.

I vaguely read Mojo has polite treble, but I do like my treble. Would you happen to know if Mojo 1 or Mojo 2 has more treble? (the more the better, though I guess Mojo 2 has EQ too so I can probably EQ it). Also to my understanding Mojo 1 has a bit more intimate vocal right? Does Mojo 2 still has forward vocal? And sounds like bass quality and quantity wise Mojo 2 wins from what you just said.

It's just that I have a friend in UK and he says he can most likely find me a Mojo 1 at half the price of Mojo 2. So I'm wondering if Mojo 2's improvements is worth it considering the huge price difference.

Thanks!!!
Jmo but unless you are prepared to listen for 5 hours then charge for 4-6 hours and then repeat this over and over every time you want to use it, Mojo 1 is not worth it in any way even with the deep discounts probably going on now, save up a little and have a better dac for life (desktop mode should work if battery is dead), it sounds better and you can feel more power even without touching dsp or crossfeed.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #3,429 of 10,477
Jmo but unless you are prepared to listen for 5 hours then charge for 4-6 hours and then repeat this over and over every time you want to use it, Mojo 1 is not worth it in any way even with the deep discounts probably going on now, save up a little and have a better dac for life (desktop mode should work if battery is dead), it sounds better and you can feel more power even without touching dsp or crossfeed.
It sounds like there is the battery hack (take out battery) for Mojo 1 but as you said all things considered probably still better to get Mojo 2 right?

Okay in this case I'll save up for Mojo 2 then, thanks! :D

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #3,430 of 10,477
There is the battery hack, but Robb Watts himself acknowledged that it might function but it was not designed to run from mains whereas mojo 2 was. I have both, it's not an incredible difference in improvement but mojo 2 does sound better stock to me and if you know your way around eq it is fun to be able to tune it on the fly as you listen (I don't but still found good settings).
I think mojo 1 won't retain much of its value as it's worse in every way (sucks for me too I think I'll keep mine rather than sell cheap).

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,431 of 10,477
It sounds like there is the battery hack (take out battery) for Mojo 1 but as you said all things considered probably still better to get Mojo 2 right?

Okay in this case I'll save up for Mojo 2 then, thanks! :D
The battery issue is blown out of proportion .
In UK at least, Chord can supply new batteries for about £40. if you check this forum, you find compatible batteries from Aliexpress for $20.
they work for 7+ hours on a full charge.
- Mojo classic has a softer, thicker midrange, Mojo2 is leaner but clearer (not always desired).
Treble on both is very good, same amount.
Bass on Mojo2 is better.
People should hold on to their Mojo classic, at least for six months, till Mojo2 passes the test of time and hype to die down a bit.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #3,432 of 10,477
In UK at least, Chord can supply new batteries for about £40. if you check this forum, you find compatible batteries from Aliexpress for $20.
- Mojo classic has a softer, thicker midrange, Mojo2 is leaner but clearer (not always desired).
Bass on Mojo2 is better.
Agree. I've purchased Mojo batteries from thecablecompany in new jersey and george meyer in california.

not a big deal

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #3,433 of 10,477
There is the battery hack, but Robb Watts himself acknowledged that it might function but it was not designed to run from mains whereas mojo 2 was. I have both, it's not an incredible difference in improvement but mojo 2 does sound better stock to me and if you know your way around eq it is fun to be able to tune it on the fly as you listen (I don't but still found good settings).
I think mojo 1 won't retain much of its value as it's worse in every way (sucks for me too I think I'll keep mine rather than sell cheap).
Yeah that's my concern, I've read split opinions so far regarding running Mojo 1 without battery. I guess safer to go with Mojo 2 since as you said it was actually designed that way.

In a perfect world I'd want Chord Anni but in Mojo price LOL (since I'll be using it as desktop unit so I really don't need the battery, that and I like rotary knob better).

Chord need to release an Anni Jr, as it stands Anni is about 2.5 times the price of Mojo 2?
Bass on Mojo2 is better.
People should hold on to their Mojo classic, at least for six months, till Mojo2 passes the test of time and hype to die down a bit.
Agree. I've purchased Mojo batteries from thecablecompany in new jersey and george meyer in california.

not a big deal
Yeah I think the real issue for me is that I kind of want to use it as desktop unit so probably still not ideal to drain the battery all day (I turn my computer on in the morning and turn off at night).

As I mentioned a budget Anni would probably be best for me. At the moment Mojo is the only thing that I can afford. :frowning2:

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #3,434 of 10,477

Thanks!!!

I still think that the Mojo 1 is a great little DAC especially considering the used prices, and the battery issue is a bit overblown. I still get 7 hours runtime out of my 3,5 year old Mojo.
The funny thing with the Mojo is that it's seductive and easy to listen to. The soundstage is more intimate, the treble is fluid and the bass is warm. Hours of joy.
I never found the treble lacking, but people who are used to sharp, slightly harsh treble will find the Mojo smoother, slightly more shimmery than sparkly.
I always liked it and never missed bite or detail.
The bass is actually also not bad, but the Hugo 2 has such incredible definition, texture and extension that the Mojo 1 simply can't keep up.
The Hugo is actually quite intense and demands attention. There's so much atmosphere in the music, it's like you can feel the space, and all the sounds are like carved out, so accurate! At times I switch on cross-feed when I just want to relax.

I don't know where the Mojo 2 falls in between the M1 and H2.
I suspect that it's at least half way in between or even closer to H2.
What makes it really tempting is the cross-feed, Desktop Mode and EQ.
The cross-feed implementation of the Chord DACs is not merely a channel mixing but it emulates how the ear hears sounds coming from the opposite side of the head - which is bassier. This makes the cross feed actually sound more intimate and warm, aside from the more centered image. Great for vocals.
So if you can save up to get the M2 without regretting spending the money later, I'd go for it.

Sometimes int the future I will have to get it myself...

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #3,435 of 10,477
I still think that the Mojo 1 is a great little DAC
Yes, yes
especially considering the used prices, and the battery issue is a bit overblown. I still get 7 hours runtime out of my 3,5 year old Mojo.
Absolutely
The funny thing with the Mojo is that it's seductive and easy to listen to. The soundstage is more intimate, the treble is fluid and the bass is warm. Hours of joy.
I never found the treble lacking, but people who are used to sharp, slightly harsh treble will find the Mojo smoother, slightly more shimmery than sparkly.
I always liked it and never missed bite or detail.
Agree, every word.
The bass is actually also not bad, but the Hugo 2 has such incredible definition, texture and extension that the Mojo 1 simply can't keep up.
The Hugo is actually quite intense and demands attention. There's so much atmosphere in the music, it's like you can feel the space, and all the sounds are like carved out, so accurate!
Well described .
I don't know where the Mojo 2 falls in between the M1 and H2.
I suspect that it's at least half way in between or even closer to H2.
What makes it really
I think it is in a class of its own, the most featured Chord DAC. Sound quality is closer to Mojo classic than Hugo2, in my opinion.
tempting is the cross-feed, Desktop Mode and EQ.
The cross-feed implementation of the Chord DACs is not merely a channel mixing but it emulates how the ear hears sounds coming from the opposite side of the head - which is bassier. This makes the cross feed actually sound more intimate and warm, aside from the more centered image. Great for vocals.
Mmmmm, not a fan of Chord crossfeed.
So if you can save up to get the M2 without regretting spending the money later, I'd go for it.
Again Mojo Classic is very good value at half the price.
Sometimes int the future I will have to get it myself...
Enjoy your current Mojo, unless you really want/need the features .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back