Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 29, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #3,466 of 10,546
The white noise occurs when the streamer/pc looses the handshake, usually when changing tracks of different resolution. I have had this with all my Chord dacs… mojo1, mojo2, h2, TT1and TT2 and cables. Usually software reinitialize cures it.

I've had it happen in the middle of a track. This was with a good quality USB cable, on Spotify, connected to a Raspberry Pi, running R-Pi OS.
The white noise lasted several seconds, stopped when I paused the track, then resumed when I hit Play again, with noise lasting another second or so, before returning to normal operation. This blast of noise happened on at least three different occasions.

That said, I've been using the Mojo 2 on a Windows laptop for a few weeks and have not encountered this issue.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #3,467 of 10,546
I encountered only one time white noise with Mojo2, Note 9, and 2 ft Moon Audio silver usbC to usbC.
Just got out if parking lot at Costco hearing Quobuz.

Did not hear white noise again so far.
Using the same setup with window laptop, no white noise.

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #3,468 of 10,546
HQPlayer smoothen the sound and makes it softer with Sinc-M and NS-9 and may be that’s why you like it with Mojo 2.
That’s not at all what I hear with sinc-M. The improvement is similar to M-Scaler but to a smaller degree.

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #3,469 of 10,546
Well I finally bought my Mojo2. I live in the USA and the price in Europe is much lower. I don't know why Chord has radically different prices in different regions. Its total BS. After weeks of trying no one would ship me one to the states so I bought one at a local retailer.

I like it despite all the hype and snake oil technical descriptions of how it works and was designed. It definitely sounds better than my apple dongle on my cell phone. The equalizer is excellent. It is the first electronic EQ I have used that does not distort the sound in a negative way that I can tell. I tried the Mojo2 with the Amber Rubarth, Sessions From the 17th Ward recording. The Mojo2 makes my Grado GH1 sound more musical. I also tried it with the Senn. HD6XX. I increased the treble 3dB on the Mojo2 and the HD6XX sounds fantastic. There are a lot of complaints online about how complicated it is to use the equalizer but I found that to be without merit. If you read the manual it explains how to use it. Once you do it it becomes very intuitive and I doubt I will need to look at the manual as a reference for this again. The color coding is actually very clever. It uses the rainbow colors. It's actually easier to recognize a color that it is to read a description. You don't need to speak or read a language to use the Mojo We all recognize colors. I find it very clever. I can adjust it in complete darkness as I don't need a light to read text.

This is a very nice toy to have. I don't want to take the Grado headphones off my head. The Mojo2 takes the harshness off the Grado house sound and makes them less tiring for extended listening sessions.

Are there any aftermarket cases I can buy for it? The factory case is too expensive for me.

Attachments

• IMG_8961.jpg
    IMG_8961.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #3,470 of 10,546
Well I finally bought my Mojo2. I live in the USA and the price in Europe is much lower. I don't know why Chord has radically different prices in different regions. Its total BS. After weeks of trying no one would ship me one to the states so I bought one at a local retailer.

I like it despite all the hype and snake oil technical descriptions of how it works and was designed. It definitely sounds better than my apple dongle on my cell phone. The equalizer is excellent. It is the first electronic EQ I have used that does not distort the sound in a negative way that I can tell. I tried the Mojo2 with the Amber Rubarth, Sessions From the 17th Ward recording. The Mojo2 makes my Grado GH1 sound more musical. I also tried it with the Senn. HD6XX. I increased the treble 3dB on the Mojo2 and the HD6XX sounds fantastic. There are a lot of complaints online about how complicated it is to use the equalizer but I found that to be without merit. If you read the manual it explains how to use it. Once you do it it becomes very intuitive and I doubt I will need to look at the manual as a reference for this again. The color coding is actually very clever. It uses the rainbow colors. It's actually easier to recognize a color that it is to read a description. You don't need to speak or read a language to use the Mojo We all recognize colors. I find it very clever. I can adjust it in complete darkness as I don't need a light to read text.

This is a very nice toy to have. I don't want to take the Grado headphones off my head. The Mojo2 takes the harshness off the Grado house sound and makes them less tiring for extended listening sessions.

Are there any aftermarket cases I can buy for it? The factory case is too expensive for me.
Nice.
Does HD6XX sound good out of Mojo 2? Do you think it can power them reasonably?

It's priced $580 in India almost similar to Mojo, I was actually surprised after I saw the price in US.

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #3,471 of 10,546
Nice.

It's priced $580 in India almost similar to Mojo, I was actually surprised after I saw the price in US.
No problem powering the HD6XX out of the Mojo 2 for me. The HD6XX definitely need an external amp. The Mojo2 sounded great with them compared to the output of the Apple dongle which is not enough and thin sounding.

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #3,473 of 10,546

Great feedback, thank you.
Btw, i urge you to try the G-pads on the GH1. They literally transformed my RS2E with a soundstage size comparable to the (king of soundstage?) HD800. Don't try the cheaper ones on eBay (they kill the mids), invest $50 on the originals from Grado and thank me later :)

Sorry for OT.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #3,474 of 10,546

same in europe with US gear: Grado 325x= 440USD + VAT =553 incl VAT for me.. :frowning2: Crazy

I've had it happen in the middle of a track. This was with a good quality USB cable, on Spotify, connected to a Raspberry Pi, running R-Pi OS.
The white noise lasted several seconds, stopped when I paused the track, then resumed when I hit Play again, with noise lasting another second or so, before returning to normal operation. This blast of noise happened on at least three different occasions.

That said, I've been using the Mojo 2 on a Windows laptop for a few weeks and have not encountered this issue.
So what is the white noise? something with the PC or an issue with the Mojo?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #3,475 of 10,546
@Another Audiophile great review and thanks for taking your time sharing.

It's good to know the well-known interference noise still exists on mojo2 when pairing it with mobile phone. I must say it's a huge drawback (for me at least) especially since the device is designed for "mobile joy" and it took 7 years for an upgraded device. I really had a high hope the issue would be resolved in mojo2 and sadly it doesn't.

Remember the time I got mojo classic, every time I receive an incoming call, or a person sit/stand next to me get/make a call, the interference noise appears. I just can't enjoy my music purely from my phone (tiald, apple music...) with those annoying noises.

I just quote your review here to give a better context for anyone might wonder whether this issue is resolved or not. It is not.

"The problem I came across when using the Mojo 2 was interference when bundled with my mobile. Every time my mobile would connect or change from 3G to 4G network I would get clicks and pops. I am not an expert but that killed the mojo2 as a portable device and is not a faulty device. I owned 3 original Mojos and all had the same issue."

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #3,476 of 10,546
Nice.

I've plugged my Focal Clear and Audeze LCD-2C into the Mojo 2 and it had no problems driving them, with plenty of headroom to spare in my experience.
I also have a HD600, haven't tried them with the Mojo yet I'm confident it will also drive them well.

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #3,477 of 10,546
@Another Audiophile great review and thanks for taking your time sharing.

It's good to know the well-known interference noise still exists on mojo2 when pairing it with mobile phone. I must say it's a huge drawback (for me at least) especially since the device is designed for "mobile joy" and it took 7 years for an upgraded device. I really had a high hope the issue would be resolved in mojo2 and sadly it doesn't.

Remember the time I got mojo classic, every time I receive an incoming call, or a person sit/stand next to me get/make a call, the interference noise appears. I just can't enjoy my music purely from my phone (tiald, apple music...) with those annoying noises.

I just quote your review here to give a better context for anyone might wonder whether this issue is resolved or not. It is not.
So that`s the noise they talking about in this thread?? Or are there more than one noise issue?

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #3,478 of 10,546
There are 3 possible noises that OG Mojo made, and I think we are down to 2 for Mojo 2:
1) “whining” on battery charging when nearing full (not in Mojo 2 that I’ve heard)
2) 2G cell phone RFI when a phone is close to Mojo
3) screeching noise do to wrong sync input, which can happen with all the Chord DACs but should be very rare once you’ve properly got your system sorted.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #3,479 of 10,546

I agree with you. The Mojo 2 is great match with the Grado headphones.

Ctj2cfG.jpg

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,480 of 10,546
So, I got a response from Chord support regarding the white noise I've encountered twice on my Mojo 2, when connected to my Windows 11 laptop, and while listening to YouTube from my browser. Chord said that it was due to wrong settings. My settings are shown in this post.

From the screenshots of that post:
As Chord said, Mojo2 is not a DTS or Dolby decoder so these boxes should be unchecked. And they added: ...realistically, I would lower the output sample rate too...

Furthermore,
Nothing on YouTube is going to be more than 24 bit 48kHz (and the vast majority much less than that). If you are listening direct from a browser, thanks to the truly abysmal setup of Windows 10 and 11, you will need to stop ALL other notification sounds. The noise you hear is a conflict between the sample rate of the notification sound and the sample rate you have requested be sent to the Mojo2 (in this case 384kHz). This can be minimized if you set a 48kHz output (as it is the sample rate of Win notifications) but it is best avoided by turning them off altogether.

So now, I've lowered the sample rate to 48kHz and muted all Windows notification sounds. I did not have time to test this, yet, but I am sure I will not face any white noise issue, further. IF I will, I'll report it here.

When it comes to RFI when my phone is close to the Mojo 2, I have never faced that, but I very-very rarely connect it to my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back