Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #42,316 of 42,765
Good morning all, since I am not getting any reply on the Chord Mojo issue thread, I hope you don't mind that I post my question here:

Hi all,

Recently I was thinking about upgrading my cables between my Chord Mojo and iPhone. What I was using:

- Standard Micro USB to USB cable
- Apple lightning to USB A adapter (https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-naar-usb-camera-adapter)

What I bought was:

- Audioquest Carbon dragontail (https://www.iear.nl/product/audioqu...MI58SR_u2I9gIVmOF3Ch04GgUUEAQYASABEgJAn_D_BwE)
- Audioquest Carbon USB -> Lightning (https://artsexcellence.com/audioquest-carbon-usb-a-to-lightning.html)

This seemed like a nice upgrade to me. But when testing the setup (Mojo -- dragontail -- carbon USB -> lighting -- iPhone), it didn't work.

Seems like the iPhone needs the standard Apple adapter.

I now ordered a Audioquest Carbon USB to Micro USB cable. I want to use this in combination with the standard Apple adapter. This will work, but here are my questions:

- Will I lose audio quality when using the Carbon cable with the standard Apple adapter?
- Are there any better setups that I can think of when using Audioquest cables in combination with the iPhone and Mojo?

I have been using this cable withgood results for years:
http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

They don't last forever and I had issues with white noise on the first cable that was delivered. The defective cable was replaced and I bought a new set of cables (short+long) after the first set started to get show wear (loose micro-USB connector).
Soudn quality is very good, the iPhone seems to be delivering a good signal. I compared with coax out from a DAP and optical out from an older MBP. Coax and optical might be ever so slightly smoother but I am not even sure. USB from a laptop was definitely worse.

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #42,317 of 42,765
I have been using this cable withgood results for years:
http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

They don't last forever and I had issues with white noise on the first cable that was delivered. The defective cable was replaced and I bought a new set of cables (short+long) after the first set started to get show wear (loose micro-USB connector).
Soudn quality is very good, the iPhone seems to be delivering a good signal. I compared with coax out from a DAP and optical out from an older MBP. Coax and optical might be ever so slightly smoother but I am not even sure. USB from a laptop was definitely worse.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Do you know if the standard lightning to USB adapter will lower the quality of the signal when using it in combination with the Audioquest Carbon USB - Micro usb cable?

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #42,320 of 42,765
Good morning all, since I am not getting any reply on the Chord Mojo issue thread, I hope you don't mind that I post my question here:

Hi all,

Recently I was thinking about upgrading my cables between my Chord Mojo and iPhone. What I was using:

- Standard Micro USB to USB cable
- Apple lightning to USB A adapter (https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-naar-usb-camera-adapter)

What I bought was:

- Audioquest Carbon dragontail (https://www.iear.nl/product/audioqu...MI58SR_u2I9gIVmOF3Ch04GgUUEAQYASABEgJAn_D_BwE)
- Audioquest Carbon USB -> Lightning (https://artsexcellence.com/audioquest-carbon-usb-a-to-lightning.html)

This seemed like a nice upgrade to me. But when testing the setup (Mojo -- dragontail -- carbon USB -> lighting -- iPhone), it didn't work.

Seems like the iPhone needs the standard Apple adapter.

I now ordered a Audioquest Carbon USB to Micro USB cable. I want to use this in combination with the standard Apple adapter. This will work, but here are my questions:

- Will I lose audio quality when using the Carbon cable with the standard Apple adapter?
- Are there any better setups that I can think of when using Audioquest cables in combination with the iPhone and Mojo?

Just got the Audioquest USB - Micro USB cable. Just want to say: wow, what a difference compared to the standard USB cable! No interference, no sudden music stops and hard noises from my IEM's anymore. Very happy with it!

Thinking abount upgrading my Shure SE535 to the 64 Audio U18S or Fourté now. :)

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #42,321 of 42,765
Someone I know has a Chord Mojo and is asking if they are able to hook up a CFA Solaris to it that has a 4.4mm balanced cable, will this work at all with a 3.5mm (male) to 4.4mm (female) adapter, or does the fact its balanced rule it out for him?

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #42,322 of 42,765
Someone I know has a Chord Mojo and is asking if they are able to hook up a CFA Solaris to it that has a 4.4mm balanced cable, will this work at all with a 3.5mm (male) to 4.4mm (female) adapter, or does the fact its balanced rule it out for him?
There are special adapters for Mojo, but there are two issues with this:

1. They are complicated to get
2. They don't transform your Mojo into a balanced output. It just lets you use it with a different connector

So, keep that in mind.

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #42,323 of 42,765
A 3.5mm SE - 4.4mm BAL adaptor will allow use of the balanced cable but not in balanced mode, if you see what I mean.

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #42,325 of 42,765
Hey guys!
I've heard that Mojo needs 7.4v to sound its best when modded without using its internal battery.
I've disconnected the battery cable but won't go any further to mod my Mojo.
In that case, can I use my slightly modded Mojo in conjunction with an external amp to avoid sound degradation ?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #42,326 of 42,765
Hey guys!
I've heard that Mojo needs 7.4v to sound its best when modded without using its internal battery.
I've disconnected the battery cable but won't go any further to mod my Mojo.
In that case, can I use my slightly modded Mojo in conjunction with an external amp to get the optimal sound?
- Not 7.4V but more like 8V.
- you have already decided to disconnect the battery, for some reason not clear enough.
- you can connect Mojo to anything you want - optimal sound is disputable .

Mar 6, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #42,327 of 42,765
- Not 7.4V but more like 8V.
- you have already decided to disconnect the battery, for some reason not clear enough.
- you can connect Mojo to anything you want - optimal sound is disputable .
Yes optimal sound is disputable. Had to change my wording but it was already too late. Lol. Anyway, from what I've read, 7.4 (or 8v) would be ideal but because my Mojo is powered only through USB, can I use it as DAC only and use an external amp to get the "best sound" that way? The Mojo's amp section is optimal for 8v, right? Wouldn't USB powered 5v would be sufficient enough for DAC only without degrading the sound?

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #42,328 of 42,765
Yes optimal sound is disputable. Had to change my wording but it was already too late. Lol. Anyway, from what I've read, 7.4 (or 8v) would be ideal but because my Mojo is powered only through USB, can I use it as DAC only and use an external amp to get the "best sound" that way? The Mojo's amp section is optimal for 8v, right? Wouldn't USB powered 5v would be sufficient enough for DAC only without degrading the sound?
Others have been using one without battery and swear by it, I have my doubts !
At any rate, the internal circuitry pumps up USB 5V rail to a pulsating 8.2V charging voltage.
If you need more power, why not!
you can connect it directly to a power amp.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #42,329 of 42,765
The mojo battery charger runs off usb 5v and steps it up using DC-DC converter. The Mojo runs off the nominal 7.4v battery.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #42,330 of 42,765
I’ve compared the mojo with a disconnected battery and an external power supply at 5V vs a brand new internal battery - no difference with mid-tier stuff like IE900, Meze Elite, LCD-4Z.

Reason to disconnect the battery? It deteriorates so fast in use or when you use the Mojo with the power supply as a desktop dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back