Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 8, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #42,286 of 42,765
what is the bandwidth? I am curious why so many wireless network audio solutions have such high bandwidth tbh, most usb stick methods seem to be lossless but I wouldn't count on it with apple, I actually think I might have heard of this one before and there was some controversy that it wasn't completely over the the maximum bitrate needed to be called truly lossless capable IIRC
Original 1st Generation AirPort Express was one of the first, if not the first devices that offered lossless WiFi/Ethernet transmission with SPDI/F out. May be you are reading all the latest bluetooth push, but Airplay has nothing to do with that, it is lossless if your source is lossless as it was for the last 14 years, there is no controversy. It didn't support higher bitrates, but CD quality was supported, higher bitrates only existed in some professional studios, not available to consumers.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #42,287 of 42,765
Original 1st Generation AirPort Express was one of the first, if not the first devices that offered lossless WiFi/Ethernet transmission with SPDI/F out. May be you are reading all the latest bluetooth push, but Airplay has nothing to do with that, it is lossless if your source is lossless as it was for the last 14 years, there is no controversy. It didn't support higher bitrates, but CD quality was supported, higher bitrates only existed only in some professional studios, not available to consumers.
I have no idea tbh but as soon as I saw 25 Mbps and that it could transfer video I knew I was wrong, perhaps it was some Apple encapsulation standard or something on the streaming end not a personal data transfer over wireless hardware. Vaguely remember something to do with Tidal possibly as a competitor to compare not actually involved and then I do remember the bitrates were like around 1.4Mbps I think which was over the average lossless bitrate but not over the maximum effective bitrate, I might just be talking about LDAC and it had nothing to do with Apple but I remember 1.4Mbps for some reason....

Now I want to go figure it out, look what you did!
:p

EDIT-maybe it was LDAC, found this "5-min song recorded in 44.1kHz/16-bit, it will take a bitrate of 1.4Mbps" on search of "apple bitrate 1.4Mbps"

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #42,288 of 42,765
It took me ages to get used to the Mojo.

At first I found it hollow, cold, and thin, however more detailed than my other DAC. Since it was more detailed I persisted with it for a while suspecting some burn-in. (Or brain burn in which some suggest.)

After about ten days I noticed it seemed very smooth, because there were no rough hiccups from poor quality conversion. After that uphill moment, it continued being all uphill. I adjusted or it adjusted and it was all that everyone says it is.

This is super old but relevant for me.

I've had my mojo 1 for years. I love it. I have had my mojo 2 for 4 days. I find the '2' to have added imaging depth that I really enjoy. But over all, I find the '2' to be thin and almost anemic compared to my '1'. I'm wondering about break-in.

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #42,289 of 42,765

I've had my mojo 1 for years. I love it. I have had my mojo 2 for 4 days. I find the '2' to have added imaging depth that I really enjoy. But over all, I find the '2' to be thin and almost anemic compared to my '1'. I'm wondering about break-in.
@lwells There is not break-in period except for your brain however M2 sounds differently from M1. Mojo 2 is more focused on critical listening, while original Mojo sound signature just gave a joy of music listening with so needed tiny bit of its own magic :wink: At least this is my experience so far when listening to both side by side. While I haven't been experimenting with DSP and EQ yet, some say they were capable of generating original Mojo sound signature using those settings.

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #42,290 of 42,765
@lwells There is not break-in period except for your brain however M2 sounds differently from M1. Mojo 2 is more focused on critical listening, while original Mojo sound signature just gave a joy of music listening with so needed tiny bit of its own magic :wink: At least this is my experience so far when listening to both side by side. While I haven't been experimenting with DSP and EQ yet, some say they were capable of generating original Mojo sound signature using those settings.

Yea. I haven't touched the DSP on the '2'. And I primarily listen on a 2 ch room setup so I don't touch crossfeed.

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #42,291 of 42,765
I think the point of the Mojo 2 honestly is to own both... For those who can afford it, which is honestly a lot of people as for a normal user and considering the cost of the new one, and the current old ones prices, anyone in the market for a new one can probably afford an older one too. Can you find better desktop amp/dac for the Mojo 2 price along with an original mojo? Sure but it's not some huge discrepancy, so it's like if you are a Corvette, Camaro, Charger, Mustang fan.... You can still own the 67-72 and enjoy that analog driving feeling, engine roaring and sputtering, stick etc... and also own the newest model for the reliability, features, automatic flappy paddles, everyday living etc. For like 70-90% of the time you will be using the new model and it's smart, it's more reliable(and for the car case only riding the older model may devalue something that is one of the few cars that is appreciating, each use case has it's benefits -> over time there will be less original Mojo's, eventually you won't be able to get it easily or the price will go back up, also new one has warranty, amp/dacs are somewhat wear items, they don't last forever better to use it as much as possible while protected) but sometimes you just want the older "worse" version because "worse" isn't the right word when referring to a subjective choice as opposed to strictly objective.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #42,292 of 42,765

I would not worry about it.

With every Chord DAC upgrade I thought the new one sounded bright. However it's the adjustment to the better soundstaging, timbre, and detail, that takes time.

Initially it is perceived as brightness. Although the Mojo 2 is said to be neutrally tuned, whereas the Mojo had a slight warmth. Meaning you have a double adjustment I suppose.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #42,293 of 42,765
Looks like we are on stage 2 of the 7 stages of grief.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #42,297 of 42,765
I upgraded from the Mojo 1 to this beauty, thought I'd mention it for the users out there. I was very suprised, but compared to my old mojo-poly combo this is a huge jump. The Hugo has a big wow factor, the sound is far more spread out and spacious, smoother...It's just a lot better as you'd expect.

But here's the thing, the Hugo 1 has aptx bluetooth, and in bluetooth it still sounds better than the mojopoly. Whatsmore it has 10 hours of battery life (compared to my mojo's 8 or so).

In terms of size, its light, the same weight as mojopoly combo (or so close I can't tell). It's footprint is about 20% bigger than my wallet and thicker, but it easily fits on the inside pocket of a jacket and a jean pocket, although the latter is a bit of squeeze.

Why do I mention this? If your use case is desktop dac wired into a PC, and a walkman style scenario where you use bluetooth or wire your mojo into a phone/player, the Hugo is a gigantic step up. I've been testing it for several days and it's taken the place of my mojo 1, easily, no shadow of a doubt, and the extra size is...Well, like I said, vs mojo poly its the same weight so I dont really mind.

£500 on ebay. Imo, if you like the mojo, hunt one down.

hugo.jpg

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #42,298 of 42,765
I upgraded from the Mojo 1 to this beauty, thought I'd mention it for the users out there. I was very suprised, but compared to my old mojo-poly combo this is a huge jump. The Hugo has a big wow factor, the sound is far more spread out and spacious, smoother...It's just a lot better as you'd expect.

But here's the thing, the Hugo 1 has aptx bluetooth, and in bluetooth it still sounds better than the mojopoly. Whatsmore it has 10 hours of battery life (compared to my mojo's 8 or so).

In terms of size, its light, the same weight as mojopoly combo (or so close I can't tell). It's footprint is about 20% bigger than my wallet and thicker, but it easily fits on the inside pocket of a jacket and a jean pocket, although the latter is a bit of squeeze.

Why do I mention this? If your use case is desktop dac wired into a PC, and a walkman style scenario where you use bluetooth or wire your mojo into a phone/player, the Hugo is a gigantic step up. I've been testing it for several days and it's taken the place of my mojo 1, easily, no shadow of a doubt, and the extra size is...Well, like I said, vs mojo poly its the same weight so I dont really mind.

hugo.jpg
And I got the Hugo2 from eBay for less than £900 in immaculate condition with case and warranty! but it took some perseverance.
The immediate character was indeed the vast stereo as you describe.
Have not even tried the BT.
I am thinking of getting a Topping BT device, with LDAC and Toslink.
it is tiny and cheap, to see what it can do.

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #42,299 of 42,765

hugo.jpg
I am almost interested in the Hugo 1 as something useful to move around, but another user here gave strong recommend of the Hugo 2 or TT2 with M Scaler for endame until going full DAVE....

But for me the biggest benefit of the Mojo is size, I could see going with Hugo 1 and if it was mobile would def. get it vs trying to do carry and not worry about dropping a Hugo 2, but the size is just to chonk. Even my iFi Black Label as long as it is, is width and height wise close to the Mojo.... Not to mention it clearly made as a portable desk dac/amp not a portable dac/amp or at least the Hugo 2 either clarifies that was the intent or became the intent.... With those edges on the Hugo 2 you won't need to carry a pocket knife with you, lol. If you tried to take it on an airplane pretty sure it would be confiscated....(ok I am exaggerating, but only a little bit, lol) Feel like the Hugo 2 was the dabbling and the Mojo perhaps was such a big hit for the Hugo 2 they didn't waste fussing with the smooth corners for carry... Not sure if it's machined or what but I am guessing those smooth corners might take more time, and that means money, and likely a lot more defects or B units as comes with increased complexity, or more attention at least if the processing is hashed.... I could be dead wrong and there is another, perhaps silicone or internal related reason, but IMO at the price it is, and knowing Chord, basically IMO everything in it and about it has clear and purposeful intent, and the square edges is whatever that reason we may not know I believe fulfill that intent, just guessing and giving my 2 cents... If that Hugo 1 moving price goes down a bit more though I doubt I will be able to help myself.

9758439.jpg

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #42,300 of 42,765
I am almost interested in the Hugo 1 as something useful to move around, but another user here gave strong recommend of the Hugo 2 or TT2 with M Scaler for endame until going full DAVE....

But for me the biggest benefit of the Mojo is size, I could see going with Hugo 1 and if it was mobile would def. get it vs trying to do carry and not worry about dropping a Hugo 2, but the size is just to chonk. Even my iFi Black Label as long as it is, is width and height wise close to the Mojo.... Not to mention it clearly made as a portable desk dac/amp not a portable dac/amp or at least the Hugo 2 either clarifies that was the intent or became the intent.... With those edges on the Hugo 2 you won't need to carry a pocket knife with you, lol. If you tried to take it on an airplane pretty sure it would be confiscated....(ok I am exaggerating, but only a little bit, lol) Feel like the Hugo 2 was the dabbling and the Mojo perhaps was such a big hit for the Hugo 2 they didn't waste fussing with the smooth corners for carry... Not sure if it's machined or what but I am guessing those smooth corners might take more time, and that means money, and likely a lot more defects or B units as comes with increased complexity, or more attention at least if the processing is hashed.... I could be dead wrong and there is another, perhaps silicone or internal related reason, but IMO at the price it is, and knowing Chord, basically IMO everything in it and about it has clear and purposeful intent, and the square edges is whatever that reason we may not know I believe fulfill that intent, just guessing and giving my 2 cents... If that Hugo 1 moving price goes down a bit more though I doubt I will be able to help myself.

9758439.jpg
There are some videos of Chord cases being machined:
Here is one of the Hugo 2
Here is one showing a few seconds of the MScaler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back