Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 8, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #42,271 of 42,765
I have been using a Belkin Soundform Connect as an Airplay receiver to connect to my Mojo through the optical input. Is there any reason to think that the audio quality would be better if I purchased a Poly instead? Airplay is the most convenient option for me at my work so that I can quickly switch between several Apple devices.
Don't know what that is so I cannot say but bluetooth is bluetooth.... you will notice I am using SPDIF which is fiber optic cable and harder to bend vs the very short almost made for this AUX jacks, because SPDIF is digital signal... When it comes to bluetooth and other wireless tech if you can pass digital signal into the Mojo all that matters is the quality of the wireless transmission, in my case SBC does suck but passing it to the Mojo their is no quality loss because digital signals are lossless... The information contained in it itself may be lossy or compressed but digital signals are 0's and 1's and input and output can be error checked with most devices setup to make them error free... However these are errors and the signal itself is made to be received the exact way it was transmitted TL: DR go with LDAC/AptX HD if you want the best as far as bluetooth and pass the signal to your Mojo don't use Aux...

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #42,272 of 42,765
Don't know what that is so I cannot say but bluetooth is bluetooth.... you will notice I am using SPDIF which is fiber optic cable and harder to bend vs the very short almost made for this AUX jacks, because SPDIF is digital signal... When it comes to bluetooth and other wireless tech if you can pass digital signal into the Mojo all that matters is the quality of the wireless transmission, in my case SBC does suck but passing it to the Mojo their is no quality loss because digital signals are lossless... The information contained in it itself may be lossy or compressed but digital signals are 0's and 1's and input and output can be error checked with most devices setup to make them error free... However these are errors and the signal itself is made to be received the exact way it was transmitted TL: DR go with LDAC/AptX HD if you want the best as far as bluetooth and pass the signal to your Mojo don't use Aux...
Airplay is wifi not Bluetooth.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #42,273 of 42,765
Airplay is wifi not Bluetooth.
what is the bandwidth? I am curious why so many wireless network audio solutions have such high bandwidth tbh, most usb stick methods seem to be lossless but I wouldn't count on it with apple, I actually think I might have heard of this one before and there was some controversy that it wasn't completely over the the maximum bitrate needed to be called truly lossless capable IIRC

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #42,274 of 42,765
what is the bandwidth? I am curious why so many wireless network audio solutions have such high bandwidth tbh, most usb stick methods seem to be lossless but I wouldn't count on it with apple, I actually think I might have heard of this one before and there was some controversy that it wasn't completely over the the maximum bitrate needed to be called truly lossless capable IIRC
Google “AirPlay”.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #42,275 of 42,765
How much do you care about sound quality while using mojo as a background music device?
I work long days with my headphones on for many hours so most of my music listening is done at work these days. There are other advantages of the Poly such as portability and the sd card slot. If there is no real improvement is sound quality though, these other advantages might not be enough for me to justify the price.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #42,276 of 42,765
I work long days with my headphones on for many hours so most of my music listening is done at work these days. There are other advantages of the Poly such as portability and the sd card slot. If there is no real improvement is sound quality though, these other advantages might not be enough for me to justify the price.
poly sounds slightly better than optical. So you can decide if that’s worth it.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #42,277 of 42,765
This is what I saw on apple airplay

"AirPlay 2 only officially supports the lowest lossless tier of 16-bit/44.1kHz"
So you would have to settle for that bitrate, there is a small difference going above this, some people can hear it and think it's huge some claim they cannot so the best way to find out if you want a poly is to hookup the Mojo to your PC, listen to music at 16bit/44kHz then try a few rungs above that and decide for yourself. The only benefit BTW is lossless Wi-FI, if you continue using airplay there are few to no benefits, as far as bluetooth and using airplay it is literally exactly the same as any other device of the same version(this is ruling out how good the signal receiving is btw, but at that point you are paying $600 for possible better signal recieving, you can probably find better for much cheaper) all digital signals are exactly the same from output to input, no other device that is to spec will do a different job as long as the input is via a digital port like the SPDIF or micro USB. Saying the Poly does a different job than any other to spec item on a digital information medium that is hard capped per spec is like claiming a different brands USB drives have superior quality when your copy movie files to them..... Does some silicone do a better job than others, yes that is why it's expensive but it is still capped, for USB by connector and by spec, does some silicone do a very crappy job, yes but if it's too low then it's below spec and shouldn't be manufactured and the amount of product this makes up is slim to next to none and you probably got it on Aliexpress for half the price or less of the nearest mainstream competitor.

Only get poly if you need some features beyond/beside bluetooth and airplay, want to use Micro SD cards with audio loaded, like the way it looks, money doesn't matter or something else quality related, maybe there are some performance benefits but it's $600 so up to you but for bluetooth and airplay(of the same version) there is basically no benefit sound quality wise.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #42,278 of 42,765
This is what I saw on apple airplay

"AirPlay 2 only officially supports the lowest lossless tier of 16-bit/44.1kHz"
So you would have to settle for that bitrate, there is a small different going above this, some people can hear it and think it's huge some claim they cannot so the best way to find out if you want a poly is to hookup the Mojo to your PC, listen to music at 16bit/44kHz then try a few rungs above that and decide for yourself. The only benefit BTW is lossless Wi-FI, if you continue using airplay there are few to ne benefits, as far as bluetooth and using airplay it is literally exactly the same as any other device (this is ruling out how good the signal strength is btw, but at that point you are paying $600 for possible better signal strength, you can probably find better for much cheaper) all digital signals are exactly the same from output to input, no other device that is to spec will do a different job as long as the input is via a digital port like the SPDIF or micro USB. Saying the Poly does a different job than any other to spec item on a digital information medium that is hard capped per spec is like claiming a different brands USB drives have superior quality when your copy movie files to them..... Does some silicone do a better job than others, yes that is why it's expensive but it is still capped, for USB by connector and by spec, does some silicone do a very crappy job, yes but if it's too low then it's below spec and shouldn't be manufactured and the amount of product this makes up is slim to next to none and you probably got it on Aliexpress for half the price or less of the nearest mainstream competitor.

Only get poly if you need some features beyond/beside bluetooth and airplay, want to use Micro SD cards with audio loaded, like the way it looks, money doesn't matter or something else quality related, maybe there are some performance benefits but it's $600 so up to you but for bluetooth and airplay there is basically no benefit sound quality wise if they are the same Airplay version.
Roon endpoint. I agree Poly doesn’t make Mojo/Mojo2 sound better than other capable streamers using WiFi, BT, or Roon, but it does allow you to stream mobile, use the SD card and act as a very good Roon endpoint.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #42,279 of 42,765
Roon endpoint. I agree Poly doesn’t make Mojo/Mojo2 sound better than other capable streamers using WiFi, BT, or Roon, but it does allow you to stream mobile, use the SD card and act as a very good Roon endpoint.
Indeed, for pure usability as a standalone unit, form factor and such it is indeed OP. But I would still strongly suggest (again, sorry to be redundant or pushy) to listen to Mojo from your PC port at 16/44kHz and then knock it up a few notches in bits and kHz.... Also a good way to see the sound quality you will be getting even if it is a big difference to you and honestly just the best advice I can give on this if I had to sum it up in 1 sentence, which is hard for me as I am long winded :p

Hope something I said is useful or helps.

EDIT-sorry thought I was replying to original person I replied to, my bad, this is my advice for that person! I agree with this poster wholeheartedly BTW, not against Poly in the slightest just not for many people who buy it! For others that don't many of them should fork up the cash, it's a good unit!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #42,280 of 42,765
Indeed, for pure usability as a standalone unit, form factor and such it is indeed OP. But I would still strongly suggest (again, sorry to be redundant or pushy) to listen to Mojo from your PC port at 16/44kHz and then knock it up a few notches in bits and kHz.... Also a good way to see the sound quality you will be getting even if it is a big difference to you and honestly just the best advice I can give on this if I had to sum it up in 1 sentence, which is hard for me as I am long winded :p

EDIT-sorry thought I was replying to original person I replied to, my bad, this is my advice for that person!
Poly s also very quiet electrically, where your PC may not be unless running on battery.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #42,281 of 42,765
Poly s also very quiet electrically, where your PC may not be unless running on battery.
another great point! The Mojo may receive interference... I have had problems with this lately having so many amp/dacs hooked up right be each other, actually I made my original unit in the picture beccause 1. the iFi straps I have for phone didn't fit well at all for Mojo and 2. when right by phone, even thru a thick plastic case I was getting audible interference! The bluetooth unit uses little energy and I have next to none with it strapped, many other devices you may not be so lucky, so there is that to factor in and have to consider where you buy it from and if they have free returns and free return shipping vs knowing the poly unit is made to work flawlessly and you should expect it to! Good point

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #42,282 of 42,765

EDIT-sorry thought I was replying to original person I replied to, my bad, this is my advice for that person! I agree with this poster wholeheartedly BTW, not against Poly in the slightest just not for many people who buy it! For others that don't many of them should fork up the cash, it's a good unit!
Thanks for your input. I do use my Mojo from my pc at times, but I have been using Airplay so that I don't need to plug and unplug cables throughout the day. It sounds better to me from the MacBook or iPad through USB than through my Belkin optical out. I wish that the Mojo 2 had included a way to switch inputs instead of having to unplug the USB cable.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #42,283 of 42,765
Thanks for your input. I do use my Mojo from my pc at times, but I have been using Airplay so that I don't need to plug and unplug cables throughout the day. It sounds better to me from the MacBook or iPad through USB than through my Belkin optical out. I wish that the Mojo 2 had included a way to switch inputs instead of having to unplug the USB cable.
Poly is better than MacBook Pro usb out. So there is your answer.

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #42,285 of 42,765
:thumbsup:OK. I'm going to get off the fence and order one.
Before you jump, the difference is not large but can be easily heard. Buy poly for the DLNA/airplay/DAP function; don’t buy because you think it will bring Mojo to hi-end quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back