Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 31, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #40,322 of 42,765
I don't think it makes much sense to use a Mojo with high end headphones like the Elear. You would probably get a better sound by spending more on the source and less on the headphones.

I disagree. Mojo has scaled very well for me and is a credible stand-in for when I’m away from the Chord TT2.

May 31, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #40,323 of 42,765
I don't think it makes much sense to use a Mojo with high end headphones like the Elear. You would probably get a better sound by spending more on the source and less on the headphones.

Mojo is a perfectly fine source for a large number of headphones spanning a large price/performance range.

I don't think it makes sense to limit your experiences based on narrow-minded perceptions like this.

May 31, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #40,324 of 42,765
I ask myself that question every day, ever since becoming an audiophile.
I am also curious about upgrading my Mojo to a dedicated DAC, in terms of enjoying the Chord signature is the Qutest the logical step? My use case would be to eliminate the headphone amplifier and have a static DAC connected to an OTL amplifier.

May 31, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #40,325 of 42,765
I have other sources and headphones. Mojo is just for portability purpose, which fits for me, considering the rest are just desktop amps and dacs.

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #40,327 of 42,765
Was a bit concerned to get one before I got the Mojo. Mostly because I heard there is hums and what not using usb, even worse when charging. So far mine didn't have any of that when using it while charging.

Only complain I have so far is, that I need to unplug the battery when I'm using on the desktop to make the battery last longer without replacing it, and plugging it back when I use it on the go. Else pretty good. Most likely will be using it as a portable only solution tho at some point.

Edit: The charging is a bit too hot to my liking as well. But apart from that I'm happy with my Mojo purchase.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #40,328 of 42,765
Hiby makes a coax to usb c that works well with the Mojo.
Mechanically the best solution, but when I use this cable to connect to my HibY R3 I get a high pitched buzz for a while before it becomes quiet.
Asked Rob Watts about it and he recommended to use the USB input for best SQ if you can't use optical.

For that, I like the Shanling L2 cable, but FIIO also has a micro-USB to USB-C cable that works well and is easier to find.

Jun 1, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #40,329 of 42,765
Mechanically the best solution, but when I use this cable to connect to my HibY R3 I get a high pitched buzz for a while before it becomes quiet.
Asked Rob Watts about it and he recommended to use the USB input for best SQ if you can't use optical.

For that, I like the Shanling L2 cable, but FIIO also has a micro-USB to USB-C cable that works well and is easier to find.
Woah that's strange. I have this cable as well as the Fiio one and haven't had any problems with either. Wonder if it's repeatable by anyone else.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #40,330 of 42,765
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #40,332 of 42,765
Only complain I have so far is, that I need to unplug the battery when I'm using on the desktop

How do you power the Mojo when using on the desktop?

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #40,333 of 42,765
Use a timed charger to charge for 2-3h over night to avoid charging and playing at the same time, because that heats up the battery, reducing life time.
Of course that means you can only listen as long as the battery lasts each day.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #40,334 of 42,765
Use a timed charger to charge for 2-3h over night to avoid charging and playing at the same time, because that heats up the battery, reducing life time.
Of course that means you can only listen as long as the battery lasts each day.

But Rei7 is saying he 'unplugs' the battery when using the Mojo in desktop mode, hence the question.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #40,335 of 42,765
You connect the charger port for power. That's basically it. Kinda the same like using it normally when you're out of battery. Just that this time you won't charge the battery or degrade the life of the battery, and it runs cooler since it doesn't charge the battery or us it anymore.

Edit: I was watching this video, and it was pretty easy to do. Basically I'll remove the connector from the battery when using on the desktop, and connecting it back when using it on the go, a little hassle but worth it.

Just use an allen key to open it up. Open it up slowly upside down so the marbles parts won't fall off like in the video, and just remove the connector slowly, and close it up.

You can also replace the battery easily, if you ever want to change it, or just remove it completely if you're using it for desktop only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back