Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 7, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #38,731 of 42,765
So, I just need to say how awesome Mojo is, even after using for 3.5 years primarily with headphones. My TT2, which I bought to drive Omega SAM speakers, as well as headphones, had to be sent for a repair. I’ve been using Mojo with one output driving the Omegas and the other connected to an active sub, and it’s been pretty incredible. The connections are pure Frankenstein, but the sound is still glorious.

I remember when I got my Hugo 2, and thought what a great upgrade it was. Then recently just for a short time I put Mojo back on desktop duty. Mojo still puts on a great show; pretty much faultless really.

That's an ingenious way to feed a sub.

(I have TT2 myself too. I think it's a very special DAC.)

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #38,732 of 42,765
I remember when I got my Hugo 2, and thought what a great upgrade it was. Then recently just for a short time I put Mojo back on desktop duty. Mojo still puts on a great show; pretty much faultless really.

That's an ingenious way to feed a sub.

(I have TT2 myself too. I think it's a very special DAC.)

TT2 is definitely better, but nice to see that Mojo is credible if necessary!

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #38,734 of 42,765
There are various connection options, and Ray-Dude has posted about his experiences in other threads with Voxative units, but for max transparency, find one that has connections and controls where you don’t have to use the sub crossover to the main speakers.

Copy that and thanks again for the helpful information. Cheers.

Jun 9, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #38,736 of 42,765
My Mojo won’t connect to my iPhone but connects fine to my MacBook.

I need a new Camera Connection Kit, right? Things seems really cheaply made.
You can use a camera connection kit or a cable like the Meenova. I have better experience with the Meenova.

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #38,738 of 42,765
The early Mojos had the USB sockets on one side of the PCB, but then they were relocated to the other side of the PCB.
I don't remember any other changes being mentioned.
I am curious as to why you are so fascinated by the PCB version numbers.
Would this give a difference in sound? I have an older version, is there a way to see if it's relocated or not?

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #38,739 of 42,765
Would this give a difference in sound? I have an older version, is there a way to see if it's relocated or not?
No one has mentioned a difference in sound. Look at the early photos of the mojo, and I think the usb sockets are on the top of the circuit board, but after that they were relocated to the bottom surface. Just look at your mojo, and it is easy to tell how the usb sockets are oriented.

Jun 10, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #38,740 of 42,765
No one has mentioned a difference in sound. Look at the early photos of the mojo, and I think the usb sockets are on the top of the circuit board, but after that they were relocated to the bottom surface. Just look at your mojo, and it is easy to tell how the usb sockets are oriented.
So would that mean the USB sockets of the newer versions stick out more in the casing, as compared to the older config?

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #38,742 of 42,765
Hi! I start to seek for DACs for one month ago , and I became a lot disappointed with the dragonfly red + jitterbug that I own.
First of all I only use IEMs and they sound already pretty nice for me , but I was wondering if there is more that I could hear with them . So yesterday I received my DFR , put in my Mac and the sound that I hear become bright, the vocals were not so pleasure to listen anymore. So I jut stay confused .. is that worth to spend more to test chord mojo if my IEMs are already pretty good ? My only concern is sound quality , if I don’t like the DFR , it’s probably that I don’t like the mojo too ?

I m just too disappointed because I read so many reviews about DFR (good reviews) and I know it’s a excellent portable Dac, but don’t work well with my IEMs , it’s a chance that I get disappointed with the Mojo too ?

(Talking exclusively about sensitivity IEMs that are easily driven with my MacBook .

EDT 1: I think one thing is important to say too, I don’t listen to MQA files , only YouTube , because music that I enjoy is just there (some covers etc) and if the dac put difference in this files better than YouTube source , so it’s a (don’t going) for me

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #38,743 of 42,765
Hi! I start to seek for DACs for one month ago , and I became a lot disappointed with the dragonfly red + jitterbug that I own.
First of all I only use IEMs and they sound already pretty nice for me , but I was wondering if there is more that I could hear with them . So yesterday I received my DFR , put in my Mac and the sound that I hear become bright, the vocals were not so pleasure to listen anymore. So I jut stay confused .. is that worth to spend more to test chord mojo if my IEMs are already pretty good ? My only concern is sound quality , if I don’t like the DFR , it’s probably that I don’t like the mojo too ?

I m just too disappointed because I read so many reviews about DFR (good reviews) and I know it’s a excellent portable Dac, but don’t work well with my IEMs , it’s a chance that I get disappointed with the Mojo too ?

(Talking exclusively about sensitivity IEMs that are easily driven with my MacBook .

EDT 1: I think one thing is important to say too, I don’t listen to MQA files , only YouTube , because music that I enjoy is just there (some covers etc) and if the dac put difference in this files better than YouTube source , so it’s a (don’t going) for me

IMO the Mojo is very smooth and provides the perfectly clean and detailed signal for my IEMs. For comparion I also have the Cayin N3, HiBy R3 and Sony ZX2. The Mojo is my clear favorit.
One thing I found the Mojo to do particularly well is to extract the best possible SQ from normal files. I use mostly FLAC, a few HiRes files and few MP3s.
IMO the Mojo is the perfect source for IEMs.

But if the DFR sounds too bright it might be that your IEM has a lot of treble and maybe it would be better to change the IEM.
What are you using?

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #38,744 of 42,765
IMO the Mojo is very smooth and provides the perfectly clean and detailed signal for my IEMs. For comparion I also have the Cayin N3, HiBy R3 and Sony ZX2. The Mojo is my clear favorit.
One thing I found the Mojo to do particularly well is to extract the best possible SQ from normal files. I use mostly FLAC, a few HiRes files and few MP3s.
IMO the Mojo is the perfect source for IEMs.

But if the DFR sounds too bright it might be that your IEM has a lot of treble and maybe it would be better to change the IEM.
What are you using?

It’s a neutral custom IEM, don’t have a name sorry, their sound are pretty focused in a neutral response and detailing a lot the records . So they don’t have problem with trebles I think.
But again the question that I am fighting in my head all the time :
Is the mojo a big upgrade in terms of SQ than the DFR for *sensitive IEMs* or the difference is so subtle that you almost don’t perceive ?
Because if is the second response the answer , than for me it’s not worthy the mojo, I already spent a lot of money in the dfr combo
An A/B comparison would save me a LOT!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #38,745 of 42,765
IMO the effect of a DAC is in some way subtle, but in another way fundamental. It’s not like switching between different IEMs or HPs.

I can listen to my IEMs from the phone or the HiBy R3 for a little while and it sounds good, but just does not have the power, expression and life in it that it has with the Mojo.
With Mojo I sometimes listen for hours, with other sources I don’t enjoy the music that much and typically stop after max 1/2 hour.

But if you hear little differences with the DFR then maybe better save the money, or at least buy used to limit the loss in case you don’t like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back