Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #38,746 of 42,765
Hi! I start to seek for DACs for one month ago , and I became a lot disappointed with the dragonfly red + jitterbug that I own.
First of all I only use IEMs and they sound already pretty nice for me , but I was wondering if there is more that I could hear with them . So yesterday I received my DFR , put in my Mac and the sound that I hear become bright, the vocals were not so pleasure to listen anymore. So I jut stay confused .. is that worth to spend more to test chord mojo if my IEMs are already pretty good ? My only concern is sound quality , if I don’t like the DFR , it’s probably that I don’t like the mojo too ?

I m just too disappointed because I read so many reviews about DFR (good reviews) and I know it’s a excellent portable Dac, but don’t work well with my IEMs , it’s a chance that I get disappointed with the Mojo too ?

(Talking exclusively about sensitivity IEMs that are easily driven with my MacBook .

EDT 1: I think one thing is important to say too, I don’t listen to MQA files , only YouTube , because music that I enjoy is just there (some covers etc) and if the dac put difference in this files better than YouTube source , so it’s a (don’t going) for me

Get Mojo, you will be wondering why you tortured yourself this long not getting it.

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #38,747 of 42,765
I know this has been discussed for a while, but based in your hands-off experience... any good DAP that I can pair with Mojo?

For now I will use my iPhone X, but I want a DAP . I read about HiBy R3 (and I love the 3D case) but lack of Spotify may be a problem for me.

So... any advise here?

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #38,749 of 42,765
I know this has been discussed for a while, but based in your hands-off experience... any good DAP that I can pair with Mojo?

For now I will use my iPhone X, but I want a DAP . I read about HiBy R3 (and I love the 3D case) but lack of Spotify may be a problem for me.

So... any advise here?
This digital transport is currently being recommended on the MScaler thread, principally because it can connect via optical, and avoid any issues with usb transmitting electrical noise.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dap-...hz-dsd256-interface-usb-to-spdif-p-13490.html

Jun 14, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #38,750 of 42,765
It’s a neutral custom IEM, don’t have a name sorry, their sound are pretty focused in a neutral response and detailing a lot the records . So they don’t have problem with trebles I think.
But again the question that I am fighting in my head all the time :
Is the mojo a big upgrade in terms of SQ than the DFR for *sensitive IEMs* or the difference is so subtle that you almost don’t perceive ?
Because if is the second response the answer , than for me it’s not worthy the mojo, I already spent a lot of money in the dfr combo
An A/B comparison would save me a LOT!

Its not something your really gonna hear in a quick AB its when you soley use it for a long time and then change it to something else, within 2 weeks youd want your Mojo back because music just doesnt sound right anymore.

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #38,751 of 42,765
Its not something your really gonna hear in a quick AB its when you soley use it for a long time and then change it to something else, within 2 weeks youd want your Mojo back because music just doesnt sound right anymore.

It’s interesting this position . Actually I think this is a mistake that I and everyone does when deciding what stuff to buy because it works for everything in our life right? This A/B comparisons that we do all the time. But now I think that with music, maybe is not that easy because the difference are subtle and important at the same time ( what is crazy !)
I have a story to tell about it.. The same thing happens to my first IEMs , when I started to seek for more sound quality I used to listen only to EarPods from apple (which is not bad , I still hear them for some genres) and then when I listened to the IEMs for the first time I just don’t liked it , because I was not used to , it feels strange ! All that soundstage and detail that I never heard before , seemed like ”interceptions “ in my record .
So I just say for myself that listen to music is not so complicated , I thought : just listen whatever gear .. is all the same.

But I give a chance to my IEMs and I started to enjoy all that immersion and clarity , I was just surprised that I could listen to them for real ! In a nutshell I discover a lot of new songs that fitted really well with them and I just can’t listen in my apple EarPods.
Now I use both , for different genres and as you said.. it take time for us to perceive this differences , but they are so great at the same time

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #38,752 of 42,765
It’s interesting this position . Actually I think this is a mistake that I and everyone does when deciding what stuff to buy because it works for everything in our life right? This A/B comparisons that we do all the time. But now I think that with music, maybe is not that easy because the difference are subtle and important at the same time ( what is crazy !)
I have a story to tell about it.. The same thing happens to my first IEMs , when I started to seek for more sound quality I used to listen only to EarPods from apple (which is not bad , I still hear them for some genres) and then when I listened to the IEMs for the first time I just don’t liked it , because I was not used to , it feels strange ! All that soundstage and detail that I never heard before , seemed like ”interceptions “ in my record .
So I just say for myself that listen to music is not so complicated , I thought : just listen whatever gear .. is all the same.

But I give a chance to my IEMs and I started to enjoy all that immersion and clarity , I was just surprised that I could listen to them for real ! In a nutshell I discover a lot of new songs that fitted really well with them and I just can’t listen in my apple EarPods.
Now I use both , for different genres and as you said.. it take time for us to perceive this differences , but they are so great at the same time

I drink coca cola regularly and for a long time, my friends and family dont, they couldnt tell apart coke and pepsi to save their life but i can tell without even tasting it, just by the smell. Ive used Mojo since its launch and it makes everything else ive tried sound congested and flat. They could have easily sold this thing double its rrp its that good. The only way i could best it is buy getting a Hugo2 at £1,800.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #38,755 of 42,765
The only downside of the Mojo, is that you need so much more additional gear like Jitterbugs, a shielded USB cable, a galvanic isolator (like the Hifime USB Isolator) that take up way more space, to really get the most out of the Mojo with USB, since without all these things, the Mojo sounds lean and thin with little bass impact, with USB

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #38,756 of 42,765
The only downside of the Mojo, is that you need so much more additional gear like Jitterbugs, a shielded USB cable, a galvanic isolator (like the Hifime USB Isolator) that take up way more space, to really get the most out of the Mojo with USB, since without all these things, the Mojo sounds lean and thin with little bass impact, with USB

Noisy sources make a lot of dacs sound brighter and thinner this is already well known, if you reduce the noise with usb or eliminate it with with optical you will find you can turn up the volume more and its easier to listen to for longer but this is not going to apply to everyone it just depends on how youre feeding Mojo and many other DACs.

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #38,758 of 42,765

I only used JItterbug on my Mojo, and it was complete. I could even have used optical, and saved on the cost of Jitterbug.

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #38,759 of 42,765
I only used JItterbug on my Mojo, and it was complete. I could even have used optical, and saved on the cost of Jitterbug.
While the Jitterbug, when I got it the first time, did make an improvement as compared to nothing, it was clear that the Mojo could improve a lot more when I bought the other gear.

But yeah, it depends on how noisy your source is. I thought that my laptop would be fairly noise free, since it's an expensive one from 2017, however it turned out that there was more improvement to the Mojo to be made than when I had thought.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #38,760 of 42,765
While the Jitterbug, when I got it the first time, did make an improvement as compared to nothing, it was clear that the Mojo could improve a lot more when I bought the other gear.

But yeah, it depends on how noisy your source is. I thought that my laptop would be fairly noise free, since it's an expensive one from 2017, however it turned out that there was more improvement to the Mojo to be made than when I had thought.

Horses for courses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back