Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 22, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #37,876 of 42,765
I bought a second Mojo, because I love it so much and I said to have a spare one, just in case.
Anyway, I noticed some really strange behaviour with this one: whenever I turn off a light somewhere in the house, the playing stops! The software continues to play, the Mojo stays on, it's just that there is no sound anymore!
Is this some kind of sensitivity to RFI?
It happens only when the notebook the Mojo is connected to is powered from the mains. When the notebook is on battery, everything is fine.
This doesn't happen with the first Mojo, which is older.

And another thing: when playing 44 - 48 khz files and I dim Mojo's leds, the red led turns from red to orange. Is this normal?
Again, this doesn't happen with the first Mojo I got.
It’s normal for mojo to turn orange when the source file is 48khz.
Are you playing through speakers/extra amp or anything that is connected to the lighting circuit in your house? Sounds bad whatever it is.

Dec 22, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #37,877 of 42,765
Update on my Mojo soap opera: after removing the battery The Mojo works fine and there are no more random shutdowns. The weirdest thing is even the humming / buzzing also stops in 15-30 seconds after I start it. Al in all - I'll keep using it. Less than happy with Chord (on my black list) but so be it, I'll use Mojo as a desktop DAC/ headphone Amp.

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #37,878 of 42,765
I purchased my Mojo (also the first Chord product) two years ago and I had no issues with battery or any other thing; it work perfect until now.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #37,879 of 42,765
I purchased my Mojo (also the first Chord product) two years ago and I had no issues with battery or any other thing; it work perfect until now.

My Mojo is 3 years old and gets used at least 5 of 7 days a week. I haven’t been overly fussy about the battery but also don’t leave it plugged in all the time. I’m seeing about 4-5 hours vs the 8-9 originally, which is noticeably compared to Poly. When it gets worse, or there’s a Mojo2, I’ll put this one into desktop use without a battery and get a new Mojo. Still sounds so great, but we’ll see what TT2 has to say about that.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #37,880 of 42,765
Today marks the day I am moving on from MOJO, and I thought I would share my final impressions as I get my final listening sessions in.

First off, I have owned the Mojo for about a year and a half now, and have never had a problem with it (Excluding Poly!). It is 100% plug and play, and idiot proof. It will be passed on at Christmas to my brother, I couldn't really bring myself to sell it. The reason for moving on is I bought I Qutest for my home system, and now that I don't have roommates I can play the stereo anytime I want, so the Mojo gets very little use.

I am still amazed at the sound this thing puts out.

My biggest takeaway from the Mojo is that amps, speakers, and headphones of all quality levels are capable of a lot more than people realize. A quality DAC is very often overlooked. So much so that I believe my next purchase when I can afford it in a couple years will be an Mscaler. Forget the amp and speakers, the ones I have are very sufficient (Qutest, full recapped Sansui au-717 and Vandersteen 3a Signatures). Mojo, as a proof of concept to the power of a quality signal, has pushed me in the direction of pursuing a million tap signal through Qutest/Mscaler.

Thanks for the wonderful thread and for reading.

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #37,882 of 42,765
My Mojo is 3 years old and gets used at least 5 of 7 days a week. I haven’t been overly fussy about the battery but also don’t leave it plugged in all the time. I’m seeing about 4-5 hours vs the 8-9 originally, which is noticeably compared to Poly. When it gets worse, or there’s a Mojo2, I’ll put this one into desktop use without a battery and get a new Mojo. Still sounds so great, but we’ll see what TT2 has to say about that.

Mine has been during 3 years 95% of time permanently plugged. Batteries were also still in the 4-5 hours working range. But at the end the white light and humming/buzzing were quite long to stop in most of cases. For safety reasons I removed the inflated cells. Mojo is now still working in desktop mode without battery.
I am lately/finally joining :wink: @x RELIC x and @Matt Bartlett in their recommendation to not keep Mojo permanently plugged.

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #37,883 of 42,765
Mine has been during 3 years 95% of time permanently plugged. Batteries were also still in the 4-5 hours working range. But at the end the white light and humming/buzzing were quite long to stop in most of cases. For safety reasons I removed the inflated cells. Mojo is now still working in desktop mode without battery.
I am lately/finally joining :wink: @x RELIC x and @Matt Bartlett in their recommendation to not keep Mojo permanently plugged.

Yep, my Mojo is also now "desktop" mode having had to have removed a swollen battery - The battery appears to be a dual cell affair coming from a Dutch company - CPS Battery, just in case anybody's interested.

In my case the battery probably failed through lack of use rather than being plugged in all the time, and this is why I hate inbuilt LiPo batteries as you have to charge and then use, charge use, charge use to keep them in good order. Keep the device connected to the charger all the time and then the battery will get screwed. Leave the device unused for a few months and then the battery will get screwed.

It's a saving grace that the Mojo will still function, and function well sans battery, but honestly I feel this is more by accident than by design.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #37,884 of 42,765
I sold my first Mojo when I upgraded to the Qutest, as I was mainly using the Mojo as a desktop device.

Recently I got myself a Shure SE846 and was wondering what to use, my AK70s sounded veiled and restrained.
I got the Mojo again today, but with a 6 year refundable warranty thing with Richer Sounds in the UK.

Massive massive improvement over the AK70. I wonder what Mr Watts has in line for a successor.. for the interim the Chord Mojo + SE846 combo is astoundingly beautiful.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #37,885 of 42,765
I sold my first Mojo when I upgraded to the Qutest, as I was mainly using the Mojo as a desktop device.

Recently I got myself a Shure SE846 and was wondering what to use, my AK70s sounded veiled and restrained.
I got the Mojo again today, but with a 6 year refundable warranty thing with Richer Sounds in the UK.

Massive massive improvement over the AK70. I wonder what Mr Watts has in line for a successor.. for the interim the Chord Mojo + SE846 combo is astoundingly beautiful.

Congrats! Oh how I wish I could have a listen to that combo!
I am using the Mojo primarily with the AudioQuest NightOwls, and really like the result. I asked around for a recommendation for IEMs with a similar sound and the SE846 seem to be the best option. Too much for me though...
I have some Moondrop Kanas Pro on the way, will report how that works out.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #37,887 of 42,765
KKK. It happened the same to me. They usually check my bag much more carefully than others at airport. Most memorial time is at Los Angeles Airport last year. Quite embarrassed!
Why be embarrassed? Airport security were alert and checking bag contents.
I would be far more concerned if security was lax, and was letting through all bags with only occasional, cursory checks!

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #37,888 of 42,765

You do know that 6 year warranty is free ?

Store’s are conning people into buying 6 year warranties when european and uk consumer laws state that certain electrical devices must last atleast 6 years and during that time they have consumer law on their side should the device fail.

You probably didn’t know it but, apart from a battery change, mojo was fully covered already without needing to buy the warranty.

All the stores are at it, they word it in such a way that it looks like they are doing you a favour, by saying “no hassle replacement” etc, but infact it’s european consumer law, which next year will be english and scottish consumer law, 6 years for england and 5 years for scotland.

Maybe come in handy for your next purchase. ?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #37,889 of 42,765
Dear friends,

I use Chord Mojo as desktop dac.
My system is Chord Mojo > Naim Nait 5i-2, Dali Ikon 1 MK2 speakers.
XzHWwbF.jpg

I know that Mojo has line level output (~3v volume setting). But should it sound the same or different when feeding external amplifier lets say at 1V (green or yellow colour or any else which is much lover than line level)? Maybe @Rob Watts or anyone else from Chord could explain or share their experience on this. Is line-level output volume level is best sounding when Mojo is used as dektop DAC.

Another question, do you think that listening at very low levels Mojo driving straight external speakers shoud sound better than through my for ex. Naim Nait 5i.?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #37,890 of 42,765
@Amberlamps wasn't aware of this! Thanks for the heads up

@Vyyy I used my Chord Mojo on my Naim Nait 3 before I sold it, and used the default output. I didn't realise there to be an impact in the sound quality in terms of distortion. My other DAC was 2v so I just kept the volume slightly lower when playing stuff. One thing that was a nice difference was a 3.5mm to DIN cable. I got a really good quality one from Ebay some years ago, but I am sure there are still people who make them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back