Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #34,621 of 42,765
  • Battery life has dropped to about half in the course of 1 year. Nice.
  • Cannot really leave it plugged in all the time due to coil whine. Nice.
So what options do I have? Seems this thing is loosing value in my eyes by the day.

Try what was suggested on Post #34560 of 34620. I confirmed in that post, a fix for battery life.

To add to some of the complaints being listed here, I've had my Mojo for about a month, and I've been pretty disappointed with the battery life. I'm lucky to get 4-5 hours play time, using a moderately efficient sent of headphones like the Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd gen.

To add to that, I simply can not get it to play nicely in Windows 10 using either of the drivers from Chord's site (the regular or the "creators" drivers). I tried two different versions of JRiver (20 and 23), using kernel streaming, Chord ASIO, and ASIO4ALL. Ironically, ASIO4ALL is the only driver in JRiver that provides reliable playback, but it unfortunately doesn't support DSD. So I am stuck having to go back into the settings and change from ASIO4ALL to kernel streaming every time I want to listen to a DSD album. I've tried all the different USB ports on my machine, to no avail. By contrast, my Dragonfly Red works without issue. The problems I am speaking of happen at random times while using other things within Windows, one of the biggest culprits being a web browser. The sound begins to break up, then gradually deteriorates until JRiver crashes completely. On top of that, if I try to use Tidal in exclusive mode, my entire PC crashes....yes a blue screen in Windows, something I haven't seen in a very long time. This is reproducible every single time I put Tidal into exclusive mode with the Mojo.

The fact that ASIO4ALL works ok but their own driver does not seems like an indication that they need to spend some more time on QA when they develop their drivers. All this being said, I still love the performance of the Mojo, but it is definitely very "rough around the edges" when it comes to stuff like this. I just hate having to work around all these issues to be able to enjoy it on my PC, as it puts a real damper on the whole experience.

Did you charge for full ten hours when taking it out of the box?

When I got my first mojo, I charged for a while. Then couldn't wait and started to listen and charge at the same time. Then when I played music I could not get a full eight hours; I think about five and was shocked. However I figured maybe I should condition the battery, and leave it on for a full ten hour charge. That fixed it.

Alternatively try the fix that Rudivanb posted. I recapped it on Post #34560 of 34620.

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #34,623 of 42,765
I read this thread so much (but not 2000 pages) and I didn't notice the shaking noise. Ok then!

Now, some negative things... I charged the battery out of the box for five hours (now it's again under charge...), and listened with my HD650 (iPhone/Tidal the source). They are the first impression so don't take so seriosly: I found it very musical and very detailed with those high that are very roll off (not a issue for me). But the impact, punch and "slam" is almost absent there. I didn't make an A/B test with my desktop Asus Xonar Essence One USB dac but it seem that the Asus is more more dynamic and that it "fills" the HD650 absolutely better.

I hope I am wrong, tonight it will finish the total charge and I also will made an AB test with it.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #34,624 of 42,765
But the impact, punch and "slam" is almost absent there. I didn't make an A/B test with my desktop Asus Xonar Essence One USB dac but it seem that the Asus is more more dynamic and that it "fills" the HD650 absolutely better.

It it what it is, and you heard what you heard. I think that the Asus is an excellent DAC. I believe it costs more than the Mojo. Did you expect it to sound worse than a Mojo?

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #34,626 of 42,765
It it what it is, and you heard what you heard. I think that the Asus is an excellent DAC. I believe it costs more than the Mojo. Did you expect it to sound worse than a Mojo?

If, in the end, I will find the Mojo too "thin" for my HD650 what is the best scenario you would choose:

- return it and buy another desktop dac (even another E1 that I find excellent too)

- sell my HD650 and buy the new HD660S that should be better "driveable" and keeping the Mojo

PS: My need is to have TWO setups for headphone, that's why I bought the Mojo, for the bedroom... but... if is the situation is that, I will buy another laptop and connect a desktop amp for the HD650 if necessary.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #34,627 of 42,765
Why do people keep calling Mojo's sound signature as warm? Mojo seem to have even frequency response with very little amount of variation in it (+/- 0.2 dB? from 20 Hz to 20 kHz) and no measured clockwise tilt.

I don’t know, when I compared with iDSD black label it was not rolled off in the treble or sub bass it had the same extension. But the iDSD had more agrreisve sub bass and treble so the slightly hard bass and treble gave the impression of more excitement. Mojo is not rolled off at all to my ears but I also don’t think it’s relaxed I think it’s in the middle.

Now does the mojo actually sound thin or is it the lack of distortion giving the sense of thinner bass and less impact? Vinyl is full of distortion and if you compare it to digital file of the same master and same amp, speakers etc the vinyl is very bass heavy and impactful in comparison.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #34,628 of 42,765
Why do people keep calling Mojo's sound signature as warm? Mojo seem to have even frequency response with very little amount of variation in it (+/- 0.2 dB? from 20 Hz to 20 kHz) and no measured clockwise tilt.

If you can call a lack of aggression warmth, then the Mojo is warm. It has has more to do with how it presents high frequencies, rather than frequency response. These days frequency response for electronic gear is a non issue, since anything that is any good has a flat frequency response in the human hearing range.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #34,629 of 42,765
Yes, Mojo can be shaken around and used as a Maraca. But it’s best left static to produce music :)
bCa26uh.gif
mine lightly shakes too

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #34,630 of 42,765
If, in the end, I will find the Mojo too "thin" for my HD650 what is the best scenario you would choose:

- return it and buy another desktop dac (even another E1 that I find excellent too)

- sell my HD650 and buy the new HD660S that should be better "driveable" and keeping the Mojo

PS: My need is to have TWO setups for headphone, that's why I bought the Mojo, for the bedroom... but... if is the situation is that, I will buy another laptop and connect a desktop amp for the HD650 if necessary.

If you don't like the Mojo, then get something that you do like.

You may at some stage wish to get the 660S, but if you do, then get it for the right reasons. Not as a band aid for something else.

Why not give something like the idsd black label a try?

I mostly listen in my living room and I am fairly demanding with respect to sound quality there. I use a proper DAC there, both for headphones and my speaker setup. For bedroom listening I use a Samsung S6 connected directly to HD600 headphones. I play at low levels to relax before I go to sleep. I don't really feel the need or inclination to mess around with cables and extra equipment there. At the end of the day it is about enjoying music, not equipment.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #34,631 of 42,765
If you can call a lack of aggression warmth, then the Mojo is warm. It has has more to do with how it presents high frequencies, rather than frequency response. These days frequency response for electronic gear is a non issue, since anything that is any good has a flat frequency response in the human hearing range.

That's a great way to put it - I don't know all of the words, but to me it's a great sound that's noticeably different than other DACs - I call it "light" but it's more that when I listen to say the Mimby or ifi BL, it's more of sit up and pay attention that's ultimately a little fatiguing versus the Mojo which is more relax into a chair. That said, I don't find it to be a huge difference between much of any of these DACs and either my equipment or ears are bad, but I do notice it, sometimes after the fact as a "that just felt better" that I can't specifically point to or articulate.

I'd also say that, for me, I need at least a week between devices to come to a conclusion; almost always when I A/B something I can hear small differences, but do I prefer one or the other? That's a much tougher question. I usually find I have a gut reaction and then slowly change to the opposite position :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #34,632 of 42,765
That's a great way to put it - I don't know all of the words, but to me it's a great sound that's noticeably different than other DACs - I call it "light" but it's more that when I listen to say the Mimby or ifi BL, it's more of sit up and pay attention that's ultimately a little fatiguing versus the Mojo which is more relax into a chair. That said, I don't find it to be a huge difference between much of any of these DACs and either my equipment or ears are bad, but I do notice it, sometimes after the fact as a "that just felt better" that I can't specifically point to or articulate.

I'd also say that, for me, I need at least a week between devices to come to a conclusion; almost always when I A/B something I can hear small differences, but do I prefer one or the other? That's a much tougher question. I usually find I have a gut reaction and then slowly change to the opposite position :)

Mojo can be relaxing to listen to, or 8ncredibly rewarding if you are paying attention. It doesn’t add aggressiveness to my ears, but I wouldn’t call it light. I might say delicate, intricate, or detailed. The lack of distortion and great musical timing is responsible for this.

I also totally agree with you on the time it takes to evaluate something subtle like a DAC. @RiseFall123 i would give it at least 10 days to 2 weeks to get accustomed to the sound before deciding, if that works with your return window.

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #34,633 of 42,765
Sure, I have 14 days to decide.

The main issues seem a not difference in driving the hd650 between mojo and iPhone 8 plus (at 80% volume).

Also that the Asus E1 adds more low end and “fullness”.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #34,634 of 42,765
Sure, I have 14 days to decide.

The main issues seem a not difference in driving the hd650 between mojo and iPhone 8 plus (at 80% volume).

Also that the Asus E1 adds more low end and “fullness”.

I would say take all the time that you can to audition the Mojo. Use your full fourteen days.

I say so because it took me a week before I started to like the Mojo. Then it just got better every day from then on. (This was mostly using it to drive active desktop speakers, and some headphone listening.) .... At first I found the Mojo thin, cold, and metallic sounding. However it was noticeably more detailed that the Meridian Explorer DAC that I was previously using. Only because of that fact, I kept listening for general day to day music. Then around a week later I noticed that the Mojo was smooth by being detailed. (The Mojo was not having hiccups or seeming to miss detail. The Mojo seemed to lay everything out.) As opposed to being smooth by having a thick warm sound, like my Meridian Explorer.

I think soon after one week when I notice the smoothness, I noticed it starting to sound warm. Or at the least it didn't sound so cold anymore. ... The Mojo detail seemed to be tacked on to side of sounds that I would hear with my Meridian Explorer. By about seven-to-ten days, the Mojo was sounding completely whole. ... It was all uphill from there with the Mojo.

The Mojo is praised for its organisation. That's what you hear after some time. Everything appearing to sound where it should, and sounds having the right timbre. .... For me I would have sworn it was burn-in. However Rob Watts calls it brain-burn-in. Getting used to more detail in the right places I guess.

Another thing I found was that the Mojo filled the soundstage. It was quite tall and reasonably wide, and all of it was used. ... Whereas the soundstage in my Meridian Explorer (ME) was quite different. The ME was not as tall. While the ME's soundstage was almost as wide, it used it completely differently. Sounds were more centrally focused. They appeared in a triangle shape. Some sound at the sides but not height at the sides. Sound in the middle, with a fair amount of height. .. I very quickly grew to appreciate the Mojo.

N.B. By the way, that's not say I don't like or would condescend, the Meridian Explorer DAC. I was listening to it last night, with new amp and desktop speakers. (My Mojo was doing something else last night.) However I would not like to be without at least the Mojo, from Chord.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #34,635 of 42,765
I will take the advice and I will listen to the Mojo everyday, iPhone, Tidal, HD650.

My afraid is about its "power" on the HD650 300ohm that maybe is not too much to drive them as they want to be.

Just initial thoughts yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back