Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #34,592 of 42,765
I just ordered the mojo for a stand alone use with my iPhone (no external amp) and reading around I read many comments that says that it’s good or less good with high impedance headphones like H650s and above (300ohm).

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #34,593 of 42,765
I don't think that it matters much to the the battery whether the Mojo is playing music or not. Most of the energy usage is by the fpga decoding the data input, even if there is no music (so the data is just bytes with a zero value), and the power usage driving headphones is just a few milliwatts. So playing music will deplete the battery slightly faster, than just leaving the mojo switched on, and presumably playing music stops the auto-shutdown operating on newer mojos.

Obviously it matters, and that's what I was saying. The method that Rudivanb mentioned works for me, when no cables are attached. It restores battery life. When other cables connected and battery depletes didn't. Why not read what we were saying?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #34,594 of 42,765
Haven’t stopped listening to Mojo/Poly/HD6xx since MassDrop delivered them Friday night. Such an awesome combo...no worries. And my main hp are the HE-6, which ARE notoriously the definition of hard to drive (and with which I do use a hp amp, or even a speaker amp.

If HD6xx is the same impedance of HD650 (and so it should be) I am happy to hear that.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #34,596 of 42,765
When the mobile phone communicates with the cell tower, it modulates the RF carrier - its this modulation that you hear as the chirping noise. This generates two components - the RF at whatever MHz, and a low frequency magnetic component, which falls away quite rapidly away from the mobile phone. This low frequency magnetic field is simply the nett current flowing within the phone from the battery, and is only at audio frequencies. The problem that Mojo has is it's strength - the small size, which means the unit gets closer to the magnetic field. If the mobile phone has a small magnetic loop internally, there are no problems.

To be honest, we have spent two years chasing our tails assuming it was RF - but now I am reasonably certain I have been looking in the wrong area (it's not RF) then we can look at other possible solutions. I am posting my findings about magnetic screening so others can experiment or offer suggestions.

Thank you, i see, well at least i think i do. The Samsung S5 may be particularly bad, it was end on to the Mojo at the OTG cable length, about 3" Although it will not effect me, i use it only as a source with no sim card, i will try anything that pops into my head and feedback to the forum. As you are now seemingly on the right path having chased RFI to death, the Mojo 2 will no doubt incorporate magnetic shielding in its construction when you identify the range of frequencies that are problematic.
I guess there are components that can be replaced / changed in favour of components that fare better under such conditions? Stands to reason there will be, how it impacts your design I suppose is the concern.

I appologise for my poor choice of words in that post, although it will not effect me I feel the fustration/bewilderment of others

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #34,597 of 42,765
For those using their Mojo with a Fiio X5iii via coax, where is a good place to order an affordable coax cable? Moon Audio can custom make one I see, but it's rather expensive for what I am looking for. Was hoping to stay under $30.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #34,598 of 42,765
Hi,

the mojo alone can really compete with desktop amps hwen driving high impedance headphones?

I read opposite thoughts about it around...

I think the question is less "can the mojo create pressure" - yes.

The more interesting question is, with a given set of headphones, what about the soundstage? Micro dynamics? macro dynamics? slam? clarity? speed? blackness?

Right now I'm using the Mojo into the Jotunheim and I really like it - there are various opportunities for improvement and I will pursue them in a few months or more, but for now it's a good pairing of the mojo's "relaxed" sound and the Jot's slam and fire. I'm using HD600s and TH-x00s (and a few others that don't matter). Next year i'll add some ZMFs and a few other amps and may 1 or 2 DACs, but first I want to get really used to the mojo alone, and with the Jot. I was going to throw a mimby and ifi BL into the mix but I've decided against it as I want some deep experience with what I have.

So back to your question, what is it you're looking for in a sound signature? I'd say figure that out and go from there.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #34,600 of 42,765
I think the question is less "can the mojo create pressure" - yes.

The more interesting question is, with a given set of headphones, what about the soundstage? Micro dynamics? macro dynamics? slam? clarity? speed? blackness?

Right now I'm using the Mojo into the Jotunheim and I really like it - there are various opportunities for improvement and I will pursue them in a few months or more, but for now it's a good pairing of the mojo's "relaxed" sound and the Jot's slam and fire. I'm using HD600s and TH-x00s (and a few others that don't matter). Next year i'll add some ZMFs and a few other amps and may 1 or 2 DACs, but first I want to get really used to the mojo alone, and with the Jot. I was going to throw a mimby and ifi BL into the mix but I've decided against it as I want some deep experience with what I have.

So back to your question, what is it you're looking for in a sound signature? I'd say figure that out and go from there.

What gives you the impression mojo is “relaxed”

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #34,601 of 42,765
What gives you the impression mojo is “relaxed”

Mostly the sound that comes out of it versus, say, the iFi BL or the Mimby, but also Rob said he rolled the sound for mobile versus the hugo.

Relaxed is what everyone else calls it, and I'm not an audiophile and don't know words like "microdynamics" or phrases like "frequency response extension", so I'm just repeating their words.

I'd call it "light" and for my ear and my equipment it's a better "get to know ya" sound than, say, the mimby, so that's why I picked the Mojo for the next 4-6 months.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #34,603 of 42,765
If HD6xx is the same impedance of HD650 (and so it should be) I am happy to hear that.

Mojo should be good for most headphones out there. I have very-easy-to-drive headphones though, so I don't feel the need to add anything to my chain for the moment.
If I pick up LCD-3s in the future, I might have consider getting an separate amp too. But that's not a headache for the time being.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #34,605 of 42,765
Mojo should be good for most headphones out there. I have very-easy-to-drive headphones though, so I don't feel the need to add anything to my chain for the moment.
If I pick up LCD-3s in the future, I might have consider getting an separate amp too. But that's not a headache for the time being.

The Mojo is perfectly compatible with probably about 95% of headphones out there and there is no doubt that it is capable of driving most headphones. The question is NOT, can the Mojo drive the headphones? The question is, what does the Mojo sound like, and is that a sound that you like?

My advice is not to bother with a separate amp. If the amp is good it will just tell you what the Mojo sounds like. If the amp is bad it will add it's own coloration, which can hardly be good if you like the Mojo.

Finally, in my humble opinion the LCD-3 and Mojo belong in an entirely different league and if you are paying that kind of money for headphones you should get something that does them justice. A Mojo does not. If you pick up LCD-3s, don't get an amp for a Mojo. Get a better DAC, Chord Hugo2 is by many accounts a good choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back