Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #33,181 of 42,765
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #33,182 of 42,765
Did that, even force closed UAPP. Still nothing.
You may have to uninstall UAPP then reinstall it. Then when you connect your mojo a popup will show up for UAPP just make sure to cancel and don't select use as default. Then in the future if you want to play through UAPP hit ok. If you want to play through another app hit cancel.

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #33,183 of 42,765
Maybe not cheap enough for you, but the quality is very good.

This is the cable that I use to connect my Shanling M1 (usbC OTG) to either my mojo or hugo 2 http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=98

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2210#post-13618633
Thanks, but I found one within a reasonable budget on Ebay for others that are interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Right-Ang...494457&hash=item46505fe3cc:g:hrQAAOSwNuxXbo63

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #33,184 of 42,765
I tried it with my friends who are into hi-fi quite seriously, we tested it on 10K audionote system, and we couldn't detect any difference. Its hard to believe that people wow'ing this dac so much and i cant hear a thing. I bought it second hand. First dac was faulty, and this one is replacement (also used), so maybe something was done to it, not sure what to think.
That is surprising....I have a non-os battery powered dac with a transformer outputs (aka it cost a bunch) and I'm afraid to listen to it vs the Mojo because I think the Mojo is probably better. For the money I think its stunning. Actually even without cost as a consideration.
Weird.

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #33,185 of 42,765
Wow, this thing takes a very long time to charge. I think it's been charging for 3hrs and still charging, and this is through a wall charger.

I use a 5V 2A wall charger and would recommend letting it charge to full while off, then leaving the charge cable connected at all times. (If you don't need it for portable use, that is.) This way, you won't need to wait for it to charge much in the future.

Hi all. Getting ready to pull trigger on the Mojo and I see a few sellers on Amazon: FatWyre, Audio Advice, Audio Advisor, etc. Do you (U.S-based) folks recommend a particular seller (preferably one that is flexible with returns, repairs, etc)? If they're not on Amazon, that's fine too, just wanted to find a good, reputable seller. Thanks!

I bought my first Mojo from Sonic Electronix on Amazon (my second one, which I am currently using, was purchased used), but any of the ones you listed should be fine. I bought an AudioQuest NightHawk from Audio Advisor and now they send me magazines all the time. haha

Supervisor, indicators color is not the main issue. The main issue is that theres is a very slight or near no difference between mojo or no mojo when playing flac and 320mp3. Is your point is that theres no point of using mojo with flac and mp3, only with higher resolution files?
With that said, I tried Hugo as a preamp(or LO or whatever have you) for full sized also, pretty lousy if you tell me. Save your monies for a nice amp for a full sized.

I adore the Mojo with everything, from low bit rate lossy to hi-res files, from cheap portable headphones to full-size open-backs that cost four figures. (See profile.) I'm even more impressed with how much better it sounds (than more affordable DACs) when paired with my pro studio speakers.

My general advice for those who don't hear a difference would be to try to ensure the rest of your chain is high quality—so good recordings, lossless files, high fidelity headphones/speakers, and so on. And be sure to test with all the different types of music you can, for extended periods too.

To my ears, Chord DACs give me a very different, far more natural sound than any other DACs I've heard. They're like the electrostats of the DAC world. :grinning:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #33,186 of 42,765
I'm quite sensitive to too much volume, too much treble & high-end frequencies (as such, I listen at relatively low volumes).

I'm on a quest to achieve my "end-game" set-up, which will ultimately have to be a very "non-fatiguing" set-up.

My current set-up is as follows:
  • Tidal offline (aka: CD quality) -> iPhone 6 -> Fiio Q1 -> HD 600

My future upgrade goals are as follows (I've done my research and have come to the conclusion that these 2 headphones will likely be my best options re: "non-fatiguing"):
  • HD 650
  • LCD-2

I'm wondering which is the best portable dac/amp option for driving both of these headphones (HD 650 & LCD-2):
  • iDSD Micro Black Label?
  • Chord Mojo?
  • Any other options that I'm maybe unaware of?

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #33,187 of 42,765
This is one of my favorite tracks to compare DACs with. (Click here for the pretty anime version!)

The attack and echo of the drums, the energy of the guitars, etc. are presented differently, for example. The Modi Multibit was tubey and emotional, the 2Qute was more resolving and aggressive, and the Mojo is somewhere in-between. (Though the MMB can be more aggressive than the Mojo, but in a way that I'd describe as crude.)

This song has sentimental significance for me and often brings me to tears. "We looked up from the pitch-dark world and the stars in the night sky were ready to fall. I wonder when it was that I started chasing after you."

Here's a crazier track that I also like to use for testing.

(I do listen to virtually all types of music, but audiophile-quality acoustic recordings tend to sound good on most gear, so I think it's important to test with "lesser" recordings as well.)

If anyone wants to compare DACs they have on-hand to the Mojo with these tracks, I'd be interested in others' thoughts. (Though the lossless files sound a little better, so you're missing out on some of the experience with these links.)

I'm wondering which is the best portable dac/amp option for driving both of these headphones (HD 650 & LCD-2):

You're asking in the Mojo thread, so don't be surprised when we (or at least I) say: Mojo all the way!

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #33,188 of 42,765
This is one of my favorite tracks to compare DACs with. (Click here for the pretty anime version!)

The attack and echo of the drums, the energy of the guitars, etc. are presented differently, for example. The Modi Multibit was tubey and emotional, the 2Qute was more resolving and aggressive, and the Mojo is somewhere in-between. (Though the MMB can be more aggressive than the Mojo, but in a way that I'd describe as crude.)

This song has sentimental significance for me and often brings me to tears. "We looked up from the pitch-dark world and the stars in the night sky were ready to fall. I wonder when it was that I started chasing after you."

Here's a crazier track that I also like to use for testing.

(I do listen to virtually all types of music, but audiophile-quality acoustic recordings tend to sound good on most gear, so I think it's important to test with "lesser" recordings as well.)

If anyone wants to compare DACs they have on-hand to the Mojo with these tracks, I'd be interested in others' thoughts. (Though the lossless files sound a little better, so you're missing out on some of the experience with these links.)

You're asking in the Mojo thread, so don't be surprised when we (or at least I) say: Mojo all the way!

I figured as much :)

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #33,189 of 42,765
Look for reviews and comparisons. Read enough of them to figure out if what people saying is biased or not(you got the whole thread). I doubt that Mojo can drive an LCD-2 to it's potential.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #33,190 of 42,765
I doubt that Mojo can drive an LCD-2 to it's potential.

The LCD-2F (latest version I owned) is rated at 101 dB/mW @ 70 ohms.

The Mojo, Hugo, and Hugo TT all have the same maximum output power specs:

8 ohms: 720 mW
32 ohms: 600 mW
56 ohms: 320 mW
300 ohms: 70 mW
600 ohms: 35 mW

(The output current is 500 mA.)

Now take a look at the LCD-2F's power requirements:

Audeze LCD-2F power requirements.png

Even for high SPL dynamic peaks, it doesn't come close to pushing the limits of the Mojo. I can attest to this from experience.

Some people prefer the coloration of external amps, but Chord gets you as close as you can get to listening to the direct output of the DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #33,191 of 42,765
The O2 have the capabilities as well, and there was a difference in being driven through an O2 and a Beta22(as I have owned both and tried it out on both amps). Planars like the LCD2 are not driven properly by the small amps. I've also owned the HE-6 and on paper, it can be driven by decent amp such as an O2, but really there is a difference when it's driven and listened to. It get's loud, yes, but doesn't mean it sounds right. And that's what I mean by being driven to it's potential.

Have you actually heard it out of several different types of amps including Mojo or are you just putting numbers out? Those numbers can apply to a lot of small amps, not only the Mojo. Why should he go with a Mojo exclusively if there are other output devices out there that can meet the numbers?

If you want more details check the other threads on the amps. Old, but it's documented.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #33,192 of 42,765
I've driven ultra-high-end headphones such as the HD 800 from the Mojo, 430HAD, and HDVD 800. Those vastly more expensive DAC/amps were barely better. In fact, I may still prefer the Mojo. I drove an HE400i from a little Schiit Fulla and honestly thought the HE1000 driven by the 430HAD (which outputs up to 8 watts at 50 ohms) was only slightly better. I prefer the HE500 from the Mojo over either of those overall, but admit the HE6 (which has far lower sensitivity than the others!) may be my favorite HIFIMAN.

The benefits of powerful amps are highly exaggerated. (For any given SPL, the same amount of power is being sent into the headphones as long as the amp meets the basic requirements, so if it does sound different, it's not due to extra power in most cases. It may come down to the design of the amp and have nothing to do with power.)

I'd suggest trying a headphone on the Mojo before assuming it can't handle it. (And bear in mind I was referring to the LCD-2F, not necessarily older versions.)

As for your question of why would someone buy the Mojo... For the superior sound quality of Chord, of course!

So who else uses speakers with their Mojo?

DSCN5949.2.jpg

Pic I took tonight of the most recent configuration. (Notice the falling apart Alienware with DAVE wallpaper. lol)

DSCN5950.JPGDSCN5951.JPG
It's difficult to capture what those colored balls actually look like.

These studio speakers paired with Chord DACs give me the best sound I've had in my bedroom. I'm finally getting close to the sensation that the performers are in the room with me.

The Mojo and 2Qute are like mellow and aggressive versions of each other, with the latter having noticeably better resolution, dynamics, and so on.

I enjoy the ability to use the Mojo as a digital preamp. With the 2Qute, I had to use a passive preamp (Schiit SYS) with RCA and RCA to XLR cables. As with many cheap things with volume knobs, it made a scratching sound when I adjusted the volume. With the Mojo, I just use a 3.5 mm to dual XLR cable and the volume control is totally silent. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to adjust the volume quickly enough, but thankfully, there are no issues.

I'm using a $30 Behringer UCA202 audio interface (not pictured, as it's at the back of the table) to output optical TOSLINK to the Mojo. I haven't compared enough to be able to say whether I hear a difference from USB. I know that others have reported improvements with optical here. One benefit (setting aside sound quality) is that it electrically isolates the DAC, which (in theory) fixes computer noise issues. It removed ground loop noise for me. (But I usually use a cheater plug on my laptop power cable for that anyway. I know that ground loop isolators are safer.) The Behringer can't output anything above 24-bit / 48 kHz, but it's not a major issue for me since most of my music is in Red Book (16-bit / 44.1 kHz) resolution and I can always switch back to USB.

Attachments

• DSCN5950.2.jpg
    DSCN5950.2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5951.2.jpg
    DSCN5951.2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #33,193 of 42,765
I'm quite sensitive to too much volume, too much treble & high-end frequencies (as such, I listen at relatively low volumes).

I'm on a quest to achieve my "end-game" set-up, which will ultimately have to be a very "non-fatiguing" set-up.

My current set-up is as follows:
  • Tidal offline (aka: CD quality) -> iPhone 6 -> Fiio Q1 -> HD 600

My future upgrade goals are as follows (I've done my research and have come to the conclusion that these 2 headphones will likely be my best options re: "non-fatiguing"):
  • HD 650
  • LCD-2

• iDSD Micro Black Label?
  • Chord Mojo?
  • Any other options that I'm maybe unaware of?
I have both iDSD Micro Black Label and Chord Mojo (and also HD600). SQwise, both are excellent and more or less a personal preference. However, iDSD has lot more features, e.g., it plays DSD and SACD files in real native form with amazing sound and dynamic range. Mojo only plays in DoP form which can not compete with iDSD. Actually, I spend more time with iDSD which I purchased for $380 when it was on sale in Adorama. Hope this'll help.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #33,194 of 42,765
Mojo only plays in DoP form which can not compete with iDSD

DoP (DSD over PCM) is DSD just contained in a PCM wrapper. It was created to deal with the lack of audio drivers over USB for DSD formats (USB standard only includes PCM for audio) and at the DoP capable DAC it plays the DSD file contained in the wrapper. DoP is not, in any way, a conversion to PCM and the data played is exactly the same as Native DSD.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #33,195 of 42,765
I actually like the Mojo with my SE5U. I've been comparing Mojo with the AK380, and Mojo tend to have a more natural tones to the sounds, and bass sound more realistic. But, I find that AK380 can output slightly better details, and resolution. Both perform well on separation of sound, but Mojo tend to have more of spacial sound to it. This is my impression of it's performance for CIEM. So far, I enjoy Chord products for pairing with IEMs, but for headphones, or as part of a string of speakers is a different story.

Of course Mojo has the edge when it comes to performace per pricing ration in comparison to AK380.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back