Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 27, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #33,196 of 42,765
So far, I enjoy Chord products for pairing with IEMs, but for headphones, or as part of a string of speakers is a different story.

For reference, could you share which headphones you've driven from the Mojo? Was this extended listening as opposed to brief auditions? What did you dislike about the sound?

Here's my list. (All headphones I used to have and lived with.)

Audeze LCD-2F Rosewood
Audeze LCD-X
AudioQuest NightHawk
Focal Elear
Fostex TH900
HIFIMAN HE500
JVC HA-MR77X
JVC HA-SZ2000
Koss KTXPRO1
Koss Porta Pro KTC
Koss UR55
Sennheiser HD 600
Sennheiser HD 800
Sennheiser PX 100-II
Yamaha HPH-MT8
Yamaha HPH-MT220

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #33,197 of 42,765
The O2 have the capabilities as well, and there was a difference in being driven through an O2 and a Beta22(as I have owned both and tried it out on both amps). Planars like the LCD2 are not driven properly by the small amps. I've also owned the HE-6 and on paper, it can be driven by decent amp such as an O2, but really there is a difference when it's driven and listened to. It get's loud, yes, but doesn't mean it sounds right. And that's what I mean by being driven to it's potential.

Have you actually heard it out of several different types of amps including Mojo or are you just putting numbers out? Those numbers can apply to a lot of small amps, not only the Mojo. Why should he go with a Mojo exclusively if there are other output devices out there that can meet the numbers?

If you want more details check the other threads on the amps. Old, but it's documented.

I had the Oppo HA-1 (4W max balanced) and I absolutely found it worse than the Mojo with my LCD-2.2. The Cavalli Liquid Gold (9W) and Chord DAVE I have sound better to me with the LCD-2.2 than the Mojo, sure, but I attribute that to the amp tuning for the Liquid Gold (sweet warm sound, at all volumes not just loud power 'demanding' volumes), and the overall leaps and bounds improvement from the DAVE over the Mojo. The O2 has it's followers but I was never impressed with it every time I auditioned it, even with very efficient IEMs, so I wouldn't use it as a benchmark.

Again, generalizations and marketing biases regarding power don't help anyone. Preferences are of course a different story, so if one wants to save money and use full sized headphones that are well within the Mojo's spec then give it an audition and maybe save from overpaying for the max power label on the side of the box of other gear. Conversely, try different amp gear and see if it has synergy with one's headphones. I don't think anyone is debating if one likes or dislikes a pair of headphones from the Mojo. The issue is that you are making statements that are simply untrue regarding the drive ability of the device.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #33,198 of 42,765
I actually have not tried Mojo with any cans yet, but only with my CIEM. I got rid of my headphones, so won't be trying any headphones with the Mojo. Only Chord product I've tried full sized headphones was with Hugo, but it drove it potential, but there was better performing pairings. I didn't like the 6khz peak on the HD800, got rid of that. Didn't like LCD's sound signature, so got rid of that. I did like HE-6, but eventually let that go.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #33,199 of 42,765
I actually have not tried Mojo with any cans yet, but only with my CIEM. I got rid of my headphones, so won't be trying any headphones with the Mojo. Only Chord product I've tried full sized headphones was with Hugo, but it drove it potential, but there was better performing pairings. I didn't like the 6khz peak on the HD800, got rid of that. Didn't like LCD's sound signature, so got rid of that. I did like HE-6, but eventually let that go.

So, it would be wise not to comment on the drive ability without first hand experience. :)

Every one of my headphones in my signature is driven just fine (to me) with the Mojo and I never go past double yellow on the volume with any of my full sized headphones. Is there better gear out there (in different price tiers) to my ears? Yes. Does that mean the Mojo is incapable of driving full sized headphones? No.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #33,200 of 42,765

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

We probably have similar taste in headphones. The most prominent peak on my HD 800 was at 5,500 Hz. (I analyzed it with frequency sweeps.)

I've read good things about those Spiral Ears. If I ever need something for long-term portable use, it's on my short list. (But for the time being, I only listen to music at home.)

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #33,201 of 42,765
I may give HD800 with the 6k correction a try.

SE5U performs really well, but it's not without flaws. Mid range can be upped slightly, and would be just right. It's very finicky with sources, but with Mojo performs well for the most part. There are other sources I've had better results with other IEMs that it just doesn't work well with and it's the midrange shows it's ugly side. AK380 and the Mojo are the two out of several I've tried that it performs at it's best.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #33,202 of 42,765
Im using Mojo + ALO CDM, pretty sweet with IEMs. You get all the detail of Mojo with the spaciousness, image separation, image solidity and massive stage and dynamism of the CDM.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #33,203 of 42,765
You may have to uninstall UAPP then reinstall it. Then when you connect your mojo a popup will show up for UAPP just make sure to cancel and don't select use as default. Then in the future if you want to play through UAPP hit ok. If you want to play through another app hit cancel.

Uninstalled UAPP, still nothing. Worse yet when fiddling with the USB settings with Mojo connected the phone will often lock up and then restart and sometimes get stuck while booting.

The problem is it sasys "USE USB FOR...charge connected device" I tried to select transfer media files but it wont let me.

I have tried:

prevent automatic usb audio routing in developer options
setting usb to MTP in developer options

nothing.

Seems that Android System keeps reconfiguring Mojo to suck power from the phone, making it a device to be charged by my S8.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #33,204 of 42,765

Pic I took tonight of the most recent configuration. (Notice the falling apart Alienware with DAVE wallpaper. lol)

It's difficult to capture what those colored balls actually look like..

What the toilet paper...? Does it help with the room aoustics or something? :wink:

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #33,205 of 42,765
I may give HD800 with the 6k correction a try.

I did much more extensive EQ than that. Sonarworks, others' settings, my own experiments... Getting it to be more neutral wasn't too difficult, but you can't change the weird things the drivers do to the sound. Comes off as overly tight and dry to me. I much prefer virtually any STAX, personally. (It's too bad I was never able to use a Chord DAC with any of the four STAX systems I owned.)

What the toilet paper...? Does it help with the room aoustics or something? :wink:

The paper towels are just on the table because it's old and nasty. lol

The position of the speakers in the room affects the sound, though. Each position sounds different, and this one may be the best I've found so far. I haven't bothered with room treatments or EQ yet.

I see you have an Elear! That's one of my favorite headphones, and I did use it with the Mojo when I owned it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #33,206 of 42,765
The paper towels are just on the table because it's old and nasty. lol

The position of the speakers in the room affects the sound, though. Each position sounds different, and this one may be the best I've found so far. I haven't bothered with room treatments or EQ yet.

I see you have an Elear! That's one of my favorite headphones, and I did use it with the Mojo when I owned it.

I would love to try it with the Hugo 2 or even the TT someday. One can have dreams :) But it already sounds pretty nice with the Mojo.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #33,207 of 42,765
I would love to try it with the Hugo 2 or even the TT someday. One can have dreams :) But it already sounds pretty nice with the Mojo.

The prices of the higher-end Chord DACs make my plans more complicated than they otherwise would be. I bought a 2Qute for $1,300 even though I only spent $250 on the speakers...and now I'm back to the Mojo, which makes more sense financially for the moment. If I were to go for the Hugo 2 as my next DAC, I'd have to take other factors into consideration, such as whether to get better speakers first, and if so, how far to take that. I'd eventually upgrade to flagship Chord (DAVE & Blu MkII or whatever their best is when the time comes), making the Hugo 2 ultimately redundant, though potentially still relevant depending on the timing. It looks like all the American dealers still don't have the Hugo 2 in stock.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #33,208 of 42,765
Need help after 7month of use mostly plug in, the battery led blink red for a minute and the mojo just turn off
Should I replace the battery and what type to use?

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #33,209 of 42,765
Need help after 7month of use mostly plug in, the battery led blink red for a minute and the mojo just turn off
Should I replace the battery and what type to use?

Battery LED blinking red means less than 10% remaining. My experience is that it shuts off shortly after it starts to blink red. Remove the charging cable for a while (maybe 30 minutes) and then try to charge it checking for the solid white light until it goes completely out. The only real reason to replace the battery is shortened play time.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #33,210 of 42,765
Some more AK380, Hugo comparison.

AK380 is slightly brighter than the Hugo, and the treble is finer on the AK380. Hugo's treble can come off grainy on some vocal tracks. The AK380's stage seems to depend on the track, but Hugo just seems to open up the stage in general. Bass is definately tighter sounding on the AK380, but can come off unnatural sounding, but Hugo's bass sounds more natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back