Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #33,226 of 42,765
I tried it with my friends who are into hi-fi quite seriously, we tested it on 10K audionote system, and we couldn't detect any difference. Its hard to believe that people wow'ing this dac so much and i cant hear a thing. I bought it second hand. First dac was faulty, and this one is replacement (also used), so maybe something was done to it, not sure what to think.

You either have incredibly high expectations (understandably) and youre underwhelmed or you just cant hear the difference.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #33,227 of 42,765
After exhausting all the test option and try all the chargers and leaving mojo overnight I came to the conclusion that either my battery is dead or the charging circuitry is defective.. I will contact my dealer in about 2 weeks when I get home. Anyone got the battery replacement done? After 1 and a half years it should be covered by warranty but if that's the battery life under heavy use(10-12h/day) maybe I should consider another option?

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #33,228 of 42,765
After exhausting all the test option and try all the chargers and leaving mojo overnight I came to the conclusion that either my battery is dead or the charging circuitry is defective.. I will contact my dealer in about 2 weeks when I get home. Anyone got the battery replacement done? After 1 and a half years it should be covered by warranty but if that's the battery life under heavy use(10-12h/day) maybe I should consider another option?
Return your Mojo to Chord via your dealer.
Your issue may not be caused by your battery. Several months ago @Mojo ideas posted that Chord had tested the Mojos that had been returned because of 'battery issues', and virtually all of them had fully working batteries, but one of the components in their charging circuitry had failed.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #33,229 of 42,765
Just reporting that on iOS 10.3.3 using the older lightning camera connection kit that I've had no dropouts at all with the Mojo. Solid as a rock from my iPad Pro for the past hour. Typically I don't use iOS devices to the Mojo but I just had to stream the BBC PROMS in binaural.

Excellent quality... highly recommended thanks to @Christer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0594zng

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #33,230 of 42,765
I find myself having to explain why I think the Mojo is better than so-and-so DAC and how this is supported by measurements and technical performance rather frequently nowadays. It's tiresome...and sometimes fruitless, since there are always going to be those who prefer a different sound signature or just don't test things properly.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #33,231 of 42,765
Has anyone tried various optical TOSLINK cables with the Mojo? Got links to impressions/comparisons? (Or you can post new ones.)

I'm just using a dirt cheap Monoprice cable at the moment and would like to experiment with better ones. (Many say pricier ones sound better and are worth buying.)

This $119 one has my curiosity piqued: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Mapleshade-Clearlink-Optical-Cable-Standard-Toslink/productinfo/OPTICAL-ST/

Also, should I get a better source that outputs TOSLINK? (I'm just using a Behringer UCA202 now.)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #33,232 of 42,765
Logically, the transmition of light is not affected by interference and impedance so the quality of the cable should only come down to light dispersion within the cable which would only affect the amount of data that ends up at the other receiving end (not able to transmit 24/192). Jitter may be a factor but I'm uncertain if the cable has any effect or more to do with the source and receiver than it has to do with the cable itself.

Glass typically reduces inter-modal dispersion of the light but also has a terrible bend radius (glass breaks). There are plastic cables like the ones from Sysconcept that use thousands of micro strands which significantly reduce inter-modal light dispersion and have a very tight bend radius and still transmit up to the 24/192 S/PDiF spec.

Many cheap plastic optical cables only allow up to 24/96kHz and that's about where the 'improvement' of a good optical cable can be had, regardless of marketing, IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #33,233 of 42,765
Has anyone tried various optical TOSLINK cables with the Mojo? Got links to impressions/comparisons? (Or you can post new ones.)

I'm just using a dirt cheap Monoprice cable at the moment and would like to experiment with better ones. (Many say pricier ones sound better and are worth buying.)

This $119 one has my curiosity piqued: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Mapleshade-Clearlink-Optical-Cable-Standard-Toslink/productinfo/OPTICAL-ST/

Also, should I get a better source that outputs TOSLINK? (I'm just using a Behringer UCA202 now.)

Personally I'd only bother with getting a more expensive TOSLINK cable if you're having problems with drop outs at higher bit depths and sample rates. I'm using just a cheap "shop own brand" TOSLINK cable and have zero issues with it, and IMO it sounds just a touch smoother than the USB connection (probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test though).

That said virtually all of my material is at 16/44, so I wouldn't expect many, if any issues, with a cheap TOSLINK cable in my setup.

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #33,235 of 42,765
I'm looking for impressions based on direct experience, not theory.

Well, my direct experience is that I've never heard a difference with different optical cables no matter the quality. One glass optical cable I own I paid $200 for and to my ears it sounds exactly the same as a cheap $10 cable I have. The difference I noted was the cheap cable only transmits up to 24/96kHz and that's about the only difference to me. Of course I'm sure others may chime in with their own opinions but that's my unbiased opinion based on experience.

Edit: Regarding your second question of a different source, in my experience, I've heard worse sound from the AK100 mk2 than the AK240 using the same optical cable. I really wanted the AK100 mk2 to sound the same as the whole reason I purchased it was to stack with the Mojo. So, in my opinion/experience, a different source can make a difference, but don't ask me to explain why there was a difference.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #33,236 of 42,765
Well, my direct experience is that I've never heard a difference with different optical cables no matter the quality. One glass optical cable I own I paid $200 dollars for and to my ears it sounds exactly the same as a cheap $10 cable I have. The difference I noted was the cheap cable only transmits up to 24/96kHz and that's about the only difference to me. Of course I'm sure others may chime in with their own opinions but that's my unbiased opinion based on experience.

Thanks for clarifying. For what it's worth, here's a post I tracked down with impressions of that Mapleshade cable:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-233#post-12691548

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #33,237 of 42,765
Jul 30, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #33,239 of 42,765
So, the cable differences he heard were more subtle than the differences with the washing machine pads...... hmmmmmm, think about that.

:thinking:

True, but these things tend to be in the subtle category.

So which upgrades for the Mojo that cost under $200 would you personally recommend?

mojo battery ...anyone know how many mAh it has?
i have 2 rechargers: 2500 and 5000

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/supp...ct-battery-mojo-hugo-hugo-tt/usb-charger-buy/

All our USB charged devices require a minimum of 5v 1amp to charge the internal battery. However, we recommend purchasing a 2amp charger because, although some may be listed with an output power of 1amp, they may in fact be delivering less than this.

There is not a problem with purchasing a charger that can deliver more than 2amps of current with our USB charged devices as the internal charger circuit is protected against this. Please note, that for optimal performance we recommend using a USB to Micro USB cable no longer than 1.5m for play and charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back