Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #32,746 of 42,765
I used quite a few different DACs before getting Chord Mojo, I always thought the difference was very subtle and I still think it is with them DACs... not with Mojo though it's been a big difference and stopped me from having pre Mojo thoughts of "I wonder if there's anything a bit better I could have chose" I'd happily live with Mojo for the rest of my days.

:hearts::headphones:
I totally agree. While I'm sure there are better sounding DAC's, in my system the Mojo sounds so musical I am not even curious about how much better DACs can be ......and am TOTALLY satisfied with my system, thanks to Chord Mojo and Grado's, particularly my GS!000i's.

This coming from an audiophile with many decades of experience and a bit of a perfectionist.

The consistent enjoyment that the small Mojo brings is amazing at its relatively modest price!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #32,747 of 42,765
I think in that use case, it'll be transferring the file rather than streaming as audio over IP (effectively)

If it's connected to the PC then it's communicating digitally - but iTunes is the one responsible for retrieving the information from the Shuffle. The built in OS has no idea how to connect to another device (other than a PC), so yeah, it won't work.

Yep, I was thinking it would be sending bits to the PC.

The Shuffle is only 4GB which isn't great anyway. However you operate the Shuffle manually by its remote control. I guess if it's connected to a PC then it knows to send bits. When not PC connected then it sends analogue, (to headphones).

I was wondering though if I could trick it to send data to the Mojo. By attaching a USB OTG, between Shuffle and Mojo. Anyway I won't know until I try. I assumed as said, I'd need a female OTG USB C to male micro usb, like this one. https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7229 It has to be worth £1 to try, don't you think?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #32,749 of 42,765
I am thinking about getting an LG G5 or LG G5 SE.

The G5 is listed in its specs as HD- audio playable. However the G5 SE does not list that. Whereas the opinion between the two is that the G5 SE has a less powerful processor, and 1GB less RAM.

Anyway I am thinking of buying the G5 SE, and want to use it with the Mojo. However I don't know if it will play HD-audio through the Mojo if I get the USB Audio Player Pro. While 98% of my entire music collection is CD, I do mean to buy some more HD-audio. Meaning I really want to be able to have a phone that will play HD-audio.

Does anyone know for sure if the LG G5 SE would be OK for me please?

(NB. I have my mind made up on the G5 (or SE).)

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #32,750 of 42,765
Some smart chargers detect when the battery is nearly fully charged, and change to trickle charge mode, in order to avoid overcharging the battery.
Maybe this is happening in your case.
The only indicator of a fully charged battery, is that the light switches off.

What is the exact model of your charger.

I am having this exact same issue. I am using an anker powerline usb cables (both power and data) with an anker "elite" powerport 2 wall charger.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #32,751 of 42,765
I am thinking about getting an LG G5 or LG G5 SE.

The G5 is listed in its specs as HD- audio playable. However the G5 SE does not list that. Whereas the opinion between the two is that the G5 SE has a less powerful processor, and 1GB less RAM.

Anyway I am thinking of buying the G5 SE, and want to use it with the Mojo. However I don't know if it will play HD-audio through the Mojo if I get the USB Audio Player Pro. While 98% of my entire music collection is CD, I do mean to buy some more HD-audio. Meaning I really want to be able to have a phone that will play HD-audio.

Does anyone know for sure if the LG G5 SE would be OK for me please?

(NB. I have my mind made up on the G5 (or SE).)

I mean, keep in mind, anything above 16/44.1 is 100% irrelevant sonically (and there's a strong case to be made that higher freq range is actually bad for sound). So I wouldn't really stress it.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #32,753 of 42,765
I mean, keep in mind, anything above 16/44.1 is 100% irrelevant sonically (and there's a strong case to be made that higher freq range is actually bad for sound). So I wouldn't really stress it.
HIgher sample rated material can be sonically and vastly better if it was mixed, mastered and later decoded (converted to analog) correctly with very low digital errors. That's where the quality Digital to Analog Converters (DACs) shine.
There are some online tests where you can pick A or B for each track and see if you can really hear the differences. Even with my mediocre setup in the past I got around 80% - 90% correct results depending on the tests. Those tests mean a lot because if you cannot hear then why the heck you are even trying to upgrade your setup? That is another question though.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #32,754 of 42,765
HIgher sample rated material can be sonically and vastly better if it was mixed, mastered and later decoded (converted to analog) correctly with very low digital errors. That's where the quality Digital to Analog Converters (DACs) shine.
There are some online tests where you can pick A or B for each track and see if you can really hear the differences. Even with my mediocre setup in the past I got around 80% - 90% correct results depending on the tests. Those tests mean a lot because if you cannot hear then why the heck you are even trying to upgrade your setup? That is another question though.

Nope.

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

As long as both were coming off of the exact same master track, the higher sample rate and bit depth at best sound the same, but can also sound worse. This isn't even anecdotal, it's about the literal properties of the human ear.

And as for "why are you trying to upgrade," stick with me here because this might sound crazy, but... upgrading your gear is about a hell of a lot more than hearing extra nonexistent details.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #32,755 of 42,765
Nope.

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

As long as both were coming off of the exact same master track, the higher sample rate and bit depth at best sound the same, but can also sound worse. This isn't even anecdotal, it's about the literal properties of the human ear.

And as for "why are you trying to upgrade," stick with me here because this might sound crazy, but... upgrading your gear is about a hell of a lot more than hearing extra nonexistent details.

Sorry but I don't get it why am I getting oranges when I was asking for apples.

I got a look at the site you linked and it reminded me the first year at my audio engineering class. Nice read anyways but pretty basic stuff and there are some parts which are dated and not true anymore, well that is another talk, let's get back to my previous reply.

I was talking about properly mixed mastered material which are let's say 96/24 at studio. If you have decent ears -and I believe most of the human beings have but just doesn't know how to listen analytically- you WILL hear the difference between the downsampled and dithered 44/16 version. I am not saying it is always the higher the better, because people have tastes, the extra smooth and detailed representation may not be everyone's taste. And the scope of the difference changes with the index of the material, what genre it is, how it is mixed and mastered ..etc.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #32,756 of 42,765
Sorry but I don't get it why am I getting oranges when I was asking for apples.

I got a look at the site you linked and it reminded me the first year at my audio engineering class. Nice read anyways but pretty basic stuff and there are some parts which are dated and not true anymore, well that is another talk, let's get back to my previous reply.

I was talking about properly mixed mastered material which are let's say 96/24 at studio. If you have decent ears -and I believe most of the human beings have but just doesn't know how to listen analytically- you WILL hear the difference between the downsampled and dithered 44/16 version. I am not saying it is always the higher the better, because people have tastes, the extra smooth and detailed representation may not be everyone's taste. And the scope of the difference changes with the index of the material, what genre it is, how it is mixed and mastered ..etc.

No.

You won't. And that article explains why.

Damn I thought people who claim to be able to tell 320 from FLAC were bad enough, but now you're claiming to tell 16/44.1 from 24/96? Sure. Suuuuuure pal. Of course you can. :beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #32,757 of 42,765
[Mod Comment]

Discussion on bit-rate / hi-res etc has no place in this thread. I would invite you both to take the discussion to Sound Science where it can be properly discussed.

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #32,759 of 42,765
I don't know if it is meaningful or not but a few days ago I tested my Apogee One for several hours with its own proprietary OTG cable connected to my 10.3.2 iPhone 5s. There were no pauses nor anything. First, I thought the issue might be the CCK itself. Then I switched the OTG cable with the USB-A type cable and added the CCK. I have tried to replicate the issue people having with CCK but I had no luck. I am now not sure what is causing the problem and if it depends on multiple variables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back