Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #30,916 of 42,765
my conclusions so far on platforms: for hugo/mojo/hugo 2/ desktop users. (from someone with no technical background)

1) intona offers great isolation but regardless of how effective it is the point still remains that it can shed an artificial veil over the true sound signature of a mojo/hugo. the audible benefits may not truly reflect the finely tuned sound signature of very fine electronic pieces such as hugo/mojo. it is however bit perfect and ultimately does offer great improvements and benefits. however i want the hugo/mojo to sound purely as Chord intended with nothing added or substracted in between.

2) optical again is great as it is truly isolated not worrying here about all the issues mentioned above. it is also a direct link from pc/player to hugo/mojo. the problem here is that as an spdif transmission protocol control of data timing by mojo/hugo is effectively compromised and mojo/hugo dac "clocks" (in very simple terms) no longer control the flow of information/data to and from pc or device used. unlike asynchrous usb. even though this outsourcing of data timing and the audible differences are very small, extracting data information from the embedded clock is unacceptable to me. i paid 1K plus for hugo and so i want hugo to be "in control". Im sure even Rob said that due to usb timing it very slightly outperforms spdif when implemented correctly.

3) my ipad mini retina 2 is a great platform but the screen is way too small for home use.

4) that leaves my macbook air 2014 with 512gb ssd. when run on battery alone Rob has kindly advised me that this offers total isolation. a direct usb connection from hugo to laptop ensures a direct signal as Chord intended with nothing in between to "pollute" it. pure 100% asynchrous usb. the macbook air with very fast 512 gb ssd hard drive would be a very solid platform. on enquiring i was told streaming lossless tidal over wifi is not a problem. i have a 150 Mbps service. ideally hugo would be unplugged as reports from the hugo thread indicate better performance. however it seems that when charging no effect on sound quality should be present as hugo takes it power from the internal battery. (there is an answer confirming this which i have been trying to find but still cannot if anyone can point me. max said third post but still no luck). the only drawback to this is the lack of a large 27 inch imac screen (i own an imac, macbook air and mini ipad retina 2 which i use for differing situations) and the inconvenience of having to worry about laptop battery and charging. if my conclusions are correct then this is a small price to pay. a nice laptop desk stand and im away with no worries. just to finally enjoy my music. the macbbook air would be dedicated to music only here.(constructive criticism much appreciated if im wrong on anything.)

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #30,917 of 42,765

i have a 150 Mbps service. ideally hugo would be unplugged as reports from the hugo thread indicate better performance. however it seems that when charging no effect on sound quality should be present as hugo takes it power from the internal battery. (there is an answer confirming this which i have been trying to find but still cannot if anyone can point me. max said third post but still no luck). 

The answer is listen for yourself. If you hear a difference, then there is a difference if not, no. You are the only person who can answer this.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #30,918 of 42,765
I just heard about the poly. That seems the best solution and worth paying for if it ain't too pricey. I haven't read anything in this thread about it yet...but then it's a big thread and I'm a slow reader. Web site says it due in April.

I'm pretty sure Jude mentioned in the preview video that it would be available for demo at Canjam SG. Which is just 3.5 days away!!!

So excited :D

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #30,919 of 42,765
Having second thoughts on the Meenova cable. I've had random blasts of static or digital noise that only clear when I disconnect and reconnect the cable from the iPhone. I'm guessing it's the cable as I never had this with the CCK.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #30,920 of 42,765
I'm pretty sure Jude mentioned in the preview video that it would be available for demo at Canjam SG. Which is just 3.5 days away!!!

So excited :D
Yes we are excited too, looking forward to seeing Jude and all the guys. Myself, Rob W , Colin,Tom, and Robert Wong are all flying to Singapore tomorrow for the CanJam show bags full of Hugo2's and Polys, Mojos and other stuff too. Those that can, please come along for a demo and say hello!

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #30,922 of 42,765
  strange i use a phone charger to keep the mojo always on when it connected to my computer which is connected to my home system , and after few hours I find the mojo turned off.

I thought I can have the mojo always running without it turning off.

You should start with a fully charged mojo and then keep the charger plugged in from there and it wont shut off but in another case for example i have plugged in a charger to mojo at roughly half battery and it will eventualy lose power and shut off even though it lasted a fair bit longer than if i left it on battery maybe 6 hours instead of 4. The usage will beat the charging speed when its done like that so its why i advise to plug it in and let it trickle charge after a full charge.

what i do though is just let it charge while im asleep and then its happy to run on battery only for 8 hours + at my pc 
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #30,923 of 42,765
Rob has advised me to go optical on hugo ending all uncertainty so can someone recommend a really good quality mini toslink cable from my imac that fits the hugo perfectly and is available in the UK? (i will be getting my hugo 2nd week in april. how do i know if it is a unit with the tight connectors? ie before improvements were made?)  thanks to all

1. WIREWORLD SUPERNOVA™ 7 - 3.5MM TOSLINK TO MINI-TOSLINK OPTICAL CABLE

if someone can confirm this fits all hugo's (hugo's before and after adjustments to connections were made by Chord) that would be fantastic.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #30,924 of 42,765
As long as I am understanding the question... You can't change the line out setting, everytime you hit the two balls on startup it always reverts to 3V. If you want it to start up in 1.9 all you need to do is switch the Mojo on

Yes is the short answer.

'Line out' is just a short cut to the 3V output voltage (it is the same components and signal path as the normal headphone out, but with the voltage selected to 3V).
So you switch your Mojo on and then press the two balls to get 3V correctly.
You are then using the -ve volume to get to 1.9V correctly.
You are then switching off, and the Mojo will remember 1.9V correctly.

If you now just switch the Mojo back on, your Mojo will output 1.9V. This will be the Mojo in headphone out mode, but the voltage will be the same as you were previously using for Line out.
What you are doing wrong, is switching on the Mojo, and then holding down the volume balls, because you reset the line out voltage to 3V again

Okay, thanks for that clarifications.

Somehow i was getting my wires crossed about what's actually being saved.

So, it's the (headphone output) volume that get saved from previous (whether previously in lineout mode or not) is what's used when you just turn on the unit (without holding down the two volume balls).

The lineout turn on, will "always" start out at 3Vrms output.

So, something like

a) out of the box
b) headphone turn on, two clicks on volumes down,
c) turn off
d) turn on with lineout mode, 3V output,
e) four presses of volumes down,
e) turn off
f) headphone turn on, output at four volumes down level

Thanks again.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #30,925 of 42,765
Any thoughts on how the LCD-2F and HE500 sound from external amps compared to just the Mojo?

Both should arrive very soon. I don't have anything more powerful than the Mojo. I know the Mojo has plenty of power, but I also read about some people liking headphones like these more from amps that happen to have a lot of power. I think it's related to the design of the amps instead of the power itself, especially since the headphones use a set amount of power to reach any given SPL level anyway. (Meaning that any power beyond that is not used.)

Rob has advised me to go optical on hugo ending all uncertainty so can someone recommend a really good quality mini toslink cable from my imac that fits the hugo perfectly and is available in the UK? (i will be getting my hugo 2nd week in april. how do i know if it is a unit with the tight connectors? ie before improvements were made?)  thanks to all

1. WIREWORLD SUPERNOVA™ 7 - 3.5MM TOSLINK TO MINI-TOSLINK OPTICAL CABLE

if someone can confirm this fits all hugo's (hugo's before and after adjustments to connections were made by Chord) that would be fantastic.

Since some of your posts (and their subsequent replies) about the Hugo were moved to the Hugo thread, it may be a good idea to ask about the Hugo there.

But since we're on the topic...I got a magazine from an audio dealer today. It had a few pages with Chord DACs. I thought it was funny how one was about the Hugo, but they mistakenly pictured the Hugo TT.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #30,926 of 42,765
  Any thoughts on how the LCD-2F and HE500 sound from external amps compared to just the Mojo?

Both should arrive very soon. I don't have anything more powerful than the Mojo. I know the Mojo has plenty of power, but I also read about some people liking headphones like these more from amps that happen to have a lot of power. I think it's related to the design of the amps instead of the power itself, especially since the headphones use a set amount of power to reach any given SPL level anyway. (Meaning that any power beyond that is not used.)

It's not about power. I haven't listen directly from Mojo from last 3/4 months, may be i can't even listen directly from Mojo anymore. Now i use Mojo only as my portable DAC.
Once your mind is aware of the shortcomings, it's very hard to go back :D My 2 cents... !!

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #30,927 of 42,765
  It's not about power. I haven't listen directly from Mojo from last 3/4 months, may be i can't even listen directly from Mojo anymore. Now i use Mojo only as my portable DAC.
Once your mind is aware of the shortcomings, it's very hard to go back :D My 2 cents... !!

Now I'm even more curious!

Which headphones, amps, DACs, etc. are you referring to?

What differences do you hear compared to direct from Mojo?

What do you think accounts for the differences?

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #30,928 of 42,765

So, it's the (headphone output) volume that get saved from previous (whether previously in lineout mode or not) is what's used when you just turn on the unit (without holding down the two volume balls).

So, something like

a) out of the box
c) turn off
e) turn off

Thanks again.

Yep! You got it

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #30,929 of 42,765

So, something like

a) out of the box
c) turn off
d1) turn off
d2) turn on, output at two clicks volume down
e) turn off

Thanks again.

I added d1 and d2 lines to make sure all cases are covered. The only time volume is not remembered is when you start in line out mode, and turn off without having changed the volume at all.

Happy listening!

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #30,930 of 42,765
I have tried two DAPs (Shanling M1 and Hidizs AP60 as USB transports) and some apps with the Mojo and here is my findings about them. Any comments will be very welcomed!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820595/hidizs-ap60/510#post_13323067

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820595/hidizs-ap60/510#post_13323174

P.S.: BTW I've got the best sound from the Mojo with an Audiolab 8200CD/V12 outputting optical Toslink stream to the optical input in the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back