Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #30,692 of 42,775
@Rob Watts

"There are two problems that USB has against toslink - and one benefit. The benefit is that timing comes from Mojo - but with toslink the incoming data has to be re-timed via the digital phase lock loop (DPLL) and this is not quite as good - but you will only hear the difference via a careful AB test, so it's in practice insignificant.

The downside with USB is the common ground connection."

But Rob, what if none of my electrical devices are grounded? In my room the only AC-powerplug there is in my room is a 2-pin-no-ground, so my computer and everything is not-grounded. So that means there is no common ground (right?), and this should mean that there is no downside for me with using USB, right?
Or can there be "internal grounds" (whatever that is?) within electrical systems even if there is absolutely no connection to any "real" Earth/ground? 

I would really appreciate an answer, as I'm wondering if a optical toslink cable from my onboard RealtekALC1150 to my Mojo will be more "musical" than the usb cable I have from my computer to my Mojo currenty.... Thanks!

EDIT: But yes litterally, my computer is 100% ungrounded... Wonder if it's a problem. Have no apparant problems and I have used it like this for 2 years now.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #30,693 of 42,775
Feb 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #30,695 of 42,775
  @Rob Watts

"There are two problems that USB has against toslink - and one benefit. The benefit is that timing comes from Mojo - but with toslink the incoming data has to be re-timed via the digital phase lock loop (DPLL) and this is not quite as good - but you will only hear the difference via a careful AB test, so it's in practice insignificant.

The downside with USB is the common ground connection."

But Rob, what if none of my electrical devices are grounded? In my room the only AC-powerplug there is in my room is a 2-pin-no-ground, so my computer and everything is not-grounded. So that means there is no common ground (right?), and this should mean that there is no downside for me with using USB, right?
Or can there be "internal grounds" (whatever that is?) within electrical systems even if there is absolutely no connection to any "real" Earth/ground? 

I would really appreciate an answer, as I'm wondering if a optical toslink cable from my onboard RealtekALC1150 to my Mojo will be more "musical" than the usb cable I have from my computer to my Mojo currenty.... Thanks!

EDIT: But yes litterally, my computer is 100% ungrounded... Wonder if it's a problem. Have no apparant problems and I have used it like this for 2 years now.

I use optical from my desktop, and the sound from the Mojo is very clean and precise.
If i use usb from my desktop, I can occasionally hear short bursts of low level electrical noise (a bit like the sound of a record stylus being dragged 1mm across a record) during very quiet passages - however just as Rob Watts predicts in his posts, this electrical noise makes the music sound slightly brighter.

Mostly I stick with optical, but occasionally I like to try usb for some albums.
You will only find out if you prefer optical by trying it, and all you need is a $5 cable - so it will not be an expensive experiment. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #30,700 of 42,775
has anyone used AudioQuest Forest USB cable to connect Mojo with the laptop.
I am planning to get one so wanted to know if any one has something good or bad to say about it.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #30,702 of 42,775
  has anyone used AudioQuest Forest USB cable to connect Mojo with the laptop.
I am planning to get one so wanted to know if any one has something good or bad to say about it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/30600#post_13288651

It is a very "stiff" cable, keep that in mind.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #30,704 of 42,775
Feb 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #30,705 of 42,775
Should I go for the Mojo + Poly for portable use or get the Hugo 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back