Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #30,301 of 42,765
Hi Rob @Rob Watts

I've read all the info about the reasons Toslink may have an advantage over the USB and SPDIF coax inputs for the Mojo (like galvanic isolation).

But in terms of the simplest path from input to the Mojo's FPGA, does the Toslink have the most direct path of all the Mojo's inputs, i.e. just wire from the Toslink connector to the FPGA?

Also, do you share the same concerns that companies like Roon, Sonore, Uptone Audio, Small Green Computer have with having powerful computers and wifi routers close to Dacs, in terms of RF and EMI and in particular the Mojo? Of course the metal housing helps with this. But have you found in your testing that having a powerful computer and/or a Wifi router right next to the Mojo had no effect on performance?

Love the technology packed into this little thing. A true classic.

@ChordElectronics

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #30,303 of 42,765
  Hi Rob @Rob Watts

I've read all the info about the reasons Toslink may have an advantage over the USB and SPDIF coax inputs for the Mojo (like galvanic isolation).

But in terms of the simplest path from input to the Mojo's FPGA, does the Toslink have the most direct path of all the Mojo's inputs, i.e. just wire from the Toslink connector to the FPGA?

Also, do you share the same concerns that companies like Roon, Sonore, Uptone Audio, Small Green Computer have with having powerful computers and wifi routers close to Dacs, in terms of RF and EMI and in particular the Mojo? Of course the metal housing helps with this. But have you found in your testing that having a powerful computer and/or a Wifi router right next to the Mojo had no effect on performance?

Love the technology packed into this little thing. A true classic.

@ChordElectronics

The various digital inputs go through the same modules within the FPGA so I would not worry about what is the simplest path.

Sure Mojo will be sensitive to RF as all electronics are; but I have implemented large levels of RF filtering and decoupling within Mojo, with separate regulators and RF filters for each digital part. Most of the development listening tests on headphones was in my lab - this is an RF hell, with routers, many PC's and test equipment around. I can't say that I have heard a benefit when I listen in other RF quiet areas though.

Rob  

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #30,304 of 42,765
  The various digital inputs go through the same modules within the FPGA so I would not worry about what is the simplest path.

Sure Mojo will be sensitive to RF as all electronics are; but I have implemented large levels of RF filtering and decoupling within Mojo, with separate regulators and RF filters for each digital part. Most of the development listening tests on headphones was in my lab - this is an RF hell, with routers, many PC's and test equipment around. I can't say that I have heard a benefit when I listen in other RF quiet areas though.

Rob  

Thanks Rob. Regarding the simplest path, I didn't mean within the FPGA. I meant the simplest path from the input to the FPGA. Is Toslink the simplest path to the FPGA? i.e. just wire from Toslink straight to the FPGA. As opposed to microUSB for example?

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #30,305 of 42,765
Thanks Rob. Regarding the simplest path, I didn't mean within the FPGA. I meant the simplest path from the input to the FPGA. Is Toslink the simplest path to the FPGA? i.e. just wire from Toslink straight to the FPGA. As opposed to microUSB for example?

See for yourself:
http://blog-imgs-89.fc2.com/f/i/x/fixerhpa/DSC_60482.jpg

Kinda hard to tell, huh?

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #30,307 of 42,765
  Hello,
just a quick question...
Can I run Tidal directly from my android device to the Chord Mojo?
OR must I use the USB Audio Player App?
I am running Android Nouget.

Thanks!

You can run direct from Tidal via USB connection but Android will upscale audio 24/192 I think rather than 16/44 of the audio tracks. Only way currently to play Tidal Offline tracks.

UAPP can only stream Tidal but will be bit perfect.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #30,308 of 42,765
Thanks for the quick response.
Just so I am clear,
When I was running my Samsung device, I believe it was marshmallow, I needed to run Tidal through the USB Audio Player pro to be able to even use Tidal.
Something to do with the class 2 drivers??

But now, I have a different phone running Nouget, so will the same apply? Must I run tidal through the USB app?
OR can I run directly from my phone? W/O using the USB App.

Thanks again,

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #30,309 of 42,765
  Thanks for the quick response.
Just so I am clear,
When I was running my Samsung device, I believe it was marshmallow, I needed to run Tidal through the USB Audio Player pro to be able to even use Tidal.
Something to do with the class 2 drivers??

But now, I have a different phone running Nouget, so will the same apply? Must I run tidal through the USB app?
OR can I run directly from my phone? W/O using the USB App.

Thanks again,

You can run direct from the Tidal app if you so choose. As was mentioned, the android audio system will then upsample to 192 before passing on to the Mojo. UAPP avoids this when set to "bitperfect", but only for streaming, not locally stored.

As far as I know, the only phones that don't do this are some Sony Xperia phones running 4.4.4 on which Sony put their own USB driver option to avoid the Android audio system. With this set on my Xperia Z3 Compact, the Mojo shows bitrate as "red" button from the Tidal app as well as UAPP.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #30,311 of 42,765
Certainly my Nexus 6P running Nougat works fine - Tidal app to Mojo (with Android upsampling), Tidal via UAPP to Mojo (without upsampling). The only issue is that UAPP doesn't release the USB port, so if you use that and then go to use something else like the Tidal app, you need to restart the Mojo.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #30,314 of 42,765
I had tge s7 edge and had to use the uapp.
Could not go direct.

Now i have the lg v20 which is running a different os than the V20.

V20 works with Mojo. I own a V20.
smile_phones.gif

You will be fine using either android natively or UAPP. Although UAPP does sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back