Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #30,316 of 42,768
Good to know.
Is it worth the investment for the upgrade, since the v20 ahas a decent dac?
Also, what are you listeng with? (Iem, headphones?)

The V20 and Mojo have a completely different tonal balance. Mojo is more resolving, musical, and smooth. I listed my headphone inventory on my profile so check that out if you're interested. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #30,317 of 42,768
I have a V20 and Mojo too. While the V20 DAC is impressive for a phone, the Mojo's improvements are still discernible (and anyone telling you otherwise is in denial). If someone were looking at a $100-$200 DAC, I would say just use the V20; it's great for entry-level. It's detail is excellent, but sounds flat compared to the Mojo. Mojo has better dynamics, soundstage, and impact.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #30,319 of 42,768
Back in 2015 I drove a Yamaha HPH-MT220 with a Schiit Fulla DAC/amp. I was blown away by the impact and dynamics I got out of that headphone. With more aggressive music (like metal and hard-hitting electronic) it beat out any other headphone for me even though its overall sound quality can't compare to the best headphones.

Recently I got another MT220 and am driving it from the Mojo. With most headphones, I love the Mojo...but although I still like it, the MT220 doesn't have nearly as much impact and dynamics from the Mojo as it did from the Fulla. The only reason I bought the MT220 again was for that exciting sound I used to have...and no longer do.

So now I'm looking for an additional DAC/amp or amp to give me the most exciting sound. I might only use it with the MT220, though I'll test it with my other headphones.

The problem is, if I get something other than the Fulla, I won't be replicating the sound I used to have, and it could be riskier. (Unless someone knows of something that would give my MT220 an even more exciting sound.)

Any recommendations? I'd prefer to stay under $100 for this, but can go over if need be.

Update: Bought @maxh22's Fulla!

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #30,320 of 42,768
Feb 15, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #30,321 of 42,768
  Back in 2015 I drove a Yamaha HPH-MT220 with a Schiit Fulla DAC/amp. I was blown away by the impact and dynamics I got out of that headphone. With more aggressive music (like metal and hard-hitting electronic) it beat out any other headphone for me even though its overall sound quality can't compare to the best headphones.

Recently I got another MT220 and am driving it from the Mojo. With most headphones, I love the Mojo...but although I still like it, the MT220 doesn't have nearly as much impact and dynamics from the Mojo as it did from the Fulla. The only reason I bought the MT220 again was for that exciting sound I used to have...and no longer do.

So now I'm looking for an additional DAC/amp or amp to give me the most exciting sound. I might only use it with the MT220, though I'll test it with my other headphones.

The problem is, if I get something other than the Fulla, I won't be replicating the sound I used to have, and it could be riskier. (Unless someone knows of something that would give my MT220 an even more exciting sound.)

Any recommendations? I'd prefer to stay under $100 for this, but can go over if need be.

Gotta agree with you that Fulla has hard hitting bass that is super enjoyable and very fun. I actually still have mine tucked away in my drawer. Unfortunately, it has other problems that bother me. One of which is a high noise floor that doesn't go away regardless of what source or isolater/reclocker you use.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #30,322 of 42,768
  Gotta agree with you that Fulla has hard hitting bass that is super enjoyable and very fun. I actually still have mine tucked away in my drawer. Unfortunately, it has other problems that bother me. One of which is a high noise floor that doesn't go away regardless of what source or isolater/reclocker you use.

(I meant impact in other areas too.)

I'm gonna PM you!

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #30,323 of 42,768

Its funny you say that.
I have had the 846's on a couple of occasions really liked them, but this hobby is addicting.
I have just acquired a pair of the IE800's (ebay for $200) Sent them to Sennheiser to check for authenticity (no charge) and they ended up being 100% authentic. (lucky me)
I bought at the same time IE 80's for $81.00 sent them to Sennheiser, and they were fake. Was able to get refund from seller.
Anyway, I am listening to the IE800's through the V20 and sound really good. But I also wanted to mention to you that I recently purchased the Astell & Kern XB10 DAC/AMP which has the APTX HD.
So this matches up perfect with the V20, as you know this also is one of the only phones that have the APTX HD.

Soundstage is amazing with this set up.

What are your thoughts of the 2 iem's you have with the V20 with and w/o using the Mojo.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back