Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 9, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #30,181 of 42,765
  People start spending on cables or power adapters once they audition them or compare them side by side with stock ones.
Till then "Ignorance is Bliss".

Coming to Network Audio Adapter(NAA), i am thinking of getting microrendu or SOtM sms-200 with a good power supple like sbooster or uptone.

I do intend on buying all sorts of things; just not right now.

The SOtM sMS-200 with the Paul Hynes SR7 linear power supply seems to be the best in that category...but is not cheap.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #30,182 of 42,765
Hey guys, just joined the crew. I'm going to be using mine in a transportable style setup with my LCD-2F and TH-X00 Purple Heart for now. I haven't read through this thread yet... but I'm going to give it a go. Quick question... is the Optical a better sounding input than the USB? Just wondering if I should look up a USB to Optical adapter.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #30,183 of 42,765
  Hey guys, just joined the crew. I'm going to be using mine in a transportable style setup with my LCD-2F and TH-X00 Purple Heart for now. I haven't read through this thread yet... but I'm going to give it a go. Quick question... is the Optical a better sounding input than the USB? Just wondering if I should look up a USB to Optical adapter.

Try both. Then come back and tell us what you think.

USB is prone to interference and noise but has a small benefit in timing vs optical. Optical is isolated so it isn't prone to interference, your source and Mojo aren't electronically connected.

Optical will only go to 192khz and will play DSD64, USB will also play DSD128 and 256.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #30,184 of 42,765

I agree with @MartynB85 

I described my recent experience in a PM [to a different member] a few days ago:

"Rob Watts has posted several times about individual preferences for a type of sound - describing the various trade offs.
I have [recently] compared using optical and usb inputs for mojo, when using choral music files. It is noticeable that optical sounds clean, with no electrical noise that I can detect, but overall it feels just like listening accurately to a recording. In contrast when using usb, i can hear intermittent patches of electrical noise during the quieter periods, but overall the music sounds brighter, just like being there at the performance. I can understand how such a level of brightness can be preferred by people - for myself, I am finding that this level of brightness is enjoyable.

I used the mojo settings the same for both inputs, and my pair of AKT8t mk2, so I think that there should be no issues with level matching to remove bias. Overall it does concern me that I may be preferring usb with a slight amount of electrical noise, and subsequent distortion, to the more accurate but drier sound achieved using optical inputs."

So try both inputs, and let us know how you felt. 
regular_smile .gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #30,185 of 42,765
I've got my HD 650 today and I must say I'm blown away by it, getting better by the minute
smily_headphones1.gif
. (although they're still somewhat uncomfortable)

What I'm wondering about is, maybe other HD 650 + Mojo owners can help me out here, what Volume do you set your Mojo?

I calculated 80 dB to be 33 clicks below the Line Level Preset, which puts me in the dark red area, close to one of the Orbs locking its colour.
I found this level to be somewhat quiet (Windows 10 and Spotify both at 100% volume), but was astonished that the music lost none of its detail.
This is quite a discovery, compared to my previous headphones (Shure SRH 840).

I also did a quick check with a smartphone sound measurement app by pressing the mic of my phone into one of the pads, the app read a constant 60-65 dB.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #30,186 of 42,765
  I've got my HD 650 today and I must say I'm blown away by it, getting better by the minute
smily_headphones1.gif

What I'm wondering about is, maybe other HD 650 + Mojo owners can help me out here, what Volume do you set your Mojo?

I calculated 80 dB to be 33 clicks below the Line Level Preset, which puts me in the dark red area, close to one of the Orbs locking its colour.
I found this level to be somewhat quiet (Windows 10 and Spotify both at 100% volume), but was astonished that the music lost none of its detail.

I also did a quick check with a smartphone sound measurement app by pressing the mic of my phone into one of the pads, the app read a constant 60-65 dB.

You found HD 650 uncomfortable? O.O

I mean, I found them to be some the most comfortable headphones ever made... HD800S will be more comfortable tho. But HD650 is supposed to be quite comfortable. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #30,187 of 42,765
smily_headphones1.gif

I have never tried the 650's myself, I would like a set as everyone raves about them. One thing I have never heard them described is uncomfortable however. 

I'm sat here now, with the Elears on volume at 'light blue'. I have had a few glasses of wine so no doubt the volume is far too loud and shall be turned down soon. I listen to my iems above double dark red so your volume is right down low. Great if you enjoy that volume, personally I prefer it to edge on the high end which isn't good for my hearing but great for being submerged in my music without a care for anything else.

What software are you using to play your music? I'd advise to use an 'exclusive' mode like wasapi or asio, just to ensure nothing is being altered, then the volume control in windows will have no affect and will be controlled by Mojo.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #30,189 of 42,765

I have never tried the 650's myself, I would like a set as everyone raves about them. One thing I have never heard them described is uncomfortable however. 

I'm sat here now, with the Elears on volume at 'light blue'. I have had a few glasses of wine so no doubt the volume is far too loud and shall be turned down soon. I listen to my iems above double dark red so your volume is right down low. Great if you enjoy that volume, personally I prefer it to edge on the high end which isn't good for my hearing but great for being submerged in my music without a care for anything else.

What software are you using to play your music? I'd advise to use an 'exclusive' mode like wasapi or asio, just to ensure nothing is being altered, then the volume control in windows will have no affect and will be controlled by Mojo.

Would love to try the Elears one day =D. Enjoy your wine
o2smile.gif

I'm exclusively using Spotify Premium at the moment and I've been quite happy with it. Didn't look into something like wasapi and asio therefore.

You found HD 650 uncomfortable? O.O

I mean, I found them to be some the most comfortable headphones ever made... HD800S will be more comfortable tho. But HD650 is supposed to be quite comfortable. 

I've just received them today and they're factory new, so I guess I just have to give them some time to adjust to my head and loosen up a bit. At the moment their clamping force feels a little high, but the cushions are quite nicely soft.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #30,191 of 42,765
  I have heard many people say they are the most comfortable cans they have ever tried.....650's that is.

HD800S is far more comfortable for my head 
etysmile.gif

But HD650 is also some kind of comfort king. 

Here's my approximate comfort ranking of a few headphones. Slashes mean I'm not totally sure which is more comfortable since I owned them at different times.

Koss Porta Pro > Koss KTXPRO1 > Philips SHP9500 / Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 > Elear / HD 700 > HD 800 > HD 650

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #30,192 of 42,765

Here's my approximate comfort ranking of a few headphones. Slashes mean I'm not totally sure which is more comfortable since I owned them at different times.

Koss Porta Pro > Koss KTXPRO1 > Philips SHP9500 / Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 > Elear / HD 700 > HD 800 > HD 650

That's surprising to say the least 
biggrin.gif

But I found Audio Tehnica's offerings to be quite comfy as well! 

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #30,193 of 42,765

Would love to try the Elears one day =D. Enjoy your wine
o2smile.gif

I'm exclusively using Spotify Premium at the moment and I've been quite happy with it. Didn't look into something like wasapi and asio therefore.

I've just received them today and they're factory new, so I guess I just have to give them some time to adjust to my head and loosen up a bit. At the moment their clamping force feels a little high, but the cushions are quite nicely soft.

I've now progressed to brandy 
biggrin.gif
  It's late Friday night here so would be rude not to have a little tipple.

I would take a look at Tidal if you like to stream, you're not limited to 320kbps. Plus then you get to try MQA.

Yeah they may just be a little light, they should settle down or you could try stretching them if they are tight after a week or so.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #30,194 of 42,765
I've now progressed to brandy :D   It's late Friday night here so would be rude not to have a little tipple.

I would take a look at Tidal if you like to stream, you're not limited to 320kbps. Plus then you get to try MQA.

Yeah they may just be a little light, they should settle down or you could try stretching them if they are tight after a week or so.

You guys are making me feel like pouring a bourbon when I get home from work...en route now. I guess that's better than making me feel like buying.a Hugo2, but that will probably come, too!

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #30,195 of 42,765
Hi all, 

I got really late to party here... but, I just bought a Chord Mojo after reading all the reviews ranting about how good, smooth, and musical this little box is. Unfortunately my experience so far has been a big frustration...I mean, are my ears, really that different than anyone else???...this thing is far from smooth or musical....

I've tested it with a MacBook Pro and an iMac, through optical and USB, with Audirvana and Roon, with an AK120II through toslink, on a Beyer T5p gen 2, LCD2 fazor and a HD800 and the results are pretty much the same give or take....dry, thin, laid back, hollow, cold and quite grainy!...My reference system is an Auralic Vega + Aries and a Violectric V281 and the Mojo is light years behind...I really hope the Mojo benefits from burn in or something, although the only similar experience to mine was by someone 1000 pages ago... :frowning2:

Regarding pairing/synergy with the Mojo, the T5p has the worse, the Audeze a bit better and the HD800 the best so far....

I hope will get better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back