Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #30,166 of 42,765
  Maybe @Torq will add the Hugo 2 to his dac auditioning list since the process to get a Hugo 2 won't be that difficult and returns won't be bothersome either. His write-ups are pretty entertaining and on point

Not impossible, but also not terribly likely.

While there are a few DACs in the original list I want to audition still (e.g. dCS, MSB, which I'll be hands/ears-on with this week) my focus this year is on a major turntable upgrade.

If a Hugo 2 happens across my path I'll certainly give it a listen, but it's not something I'm going out of my way to do.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #30,167 of 42,765

I'm going through similar thought processes now. I'd really like a Hugo 2 but from a cost/SQ view is the Hugo 2 worth 4.5x more than the Mojo, especially if I only drive Shure SE846 IEMS's (at the moment). The Hugo 2 is a lot of money to me too, but its my 50th in a few weeks and want to treat myself
wink.gif

My 50th is coming up in a couple weeks as well...my treat for myself was a pair of custom Noble Katanas to go with my Mojo (week 6 and counting...the wait is gruesome).

I'm very excited with the Hugo 2, but I'll likely be looking at it for my 2 channel set up (replacing an Oppo HA-1).  When a Davina/Dave 2 combo or digital amp setup is eventually available, the Hugo 2 would replace my Mojo in my portable set up.

As they say, may we all be blessed with 1st world problems like these :wink:

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #30,168 of 42,765
I think your are brave, in early headfi days I would have dropped a lot of money on a custom without even hearing it, these days after being disappointed by so many flagships I wouldn't put them on wish list without spending more than a week with them. #headfiwisdom

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #30,169 of 42,765
I think your are brave, in early headfi days I would have dropped a lot of money on a custom without even hearing it, these days after being disappointed by so many flagships I wouldn't put them on wish list without spending more than a week with them. #headfiwisdom

talk about crazy priced flagships:

US$2700 for Empire Ears Zeus XR Adel

http://www.empireears.com/product/custom-zeus-xr-adel/

Custom Zeus-XR Adel™

$2,729.99
and then you add the custom moulds ($100-150) and taxes, delivery.
wow!
..and this summer Audeze is coming out with the LCD i3 (?) iems: $2500!
supposedly has the same sound/tech as in their $4k LCD 4 cans

but we're not finished ...to get the best sound let's also talk about better sounding $$$$ cables, shall we....

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #30,170 of 42,765
talk about crazy priced flagships:

US$2700 for Empire Ears Zeus XR Adel

http://www.empireears.com/product/custom-zeus-xr-adel/

Custom Zeus-XR Adel™

[COLOR=515151]
$2,729.99

and then you add the custom moulds ($100-150) and taxes, delivery.

wow!

..and this summer Audeze is coming out with the LCD i3 (?) iems: $2500!

supposedly has the same sound/tech as in their $4k LCD 4 cans

[/COLOR]

but we're not finished ...to get the best sound let's also talk about better sounding $$$$ cables, shall we....

IV got one that's even better

64 audio Tia fourte

Quad driver iem $3,600

I'm looking forward to flagship iems in 2019 $5,800!

PS no really

If you look at the price to performance ratio of iems it's vary poor compared to a full size headphone

For example someone compared 64 audio A12 (£1200) and hd650 (£233) and they couldn't decide if the A12 was actually better or not. This is how much you have to pay to match it in quality.

I really enjoy the akg k612 sound but it only cost £126 if I wanted to match that with an iem I'm looking at £500-600+

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #30,171 of 42,765

64 audio Tia fourte

Quad driver iem $3,600

PS no really

If you look at the price to performance ratio of iems it's vary poor compared to a full size headphone

For example someone compared 64 audio A12 (£1200) and hd650 (£233) and they couldn't decide if the A12 was actually better or not. This is how much you have to pay to match it in quality.

I really enjoy the akg k612 sound but it only cost £126 if I wanted to match that with an iem I'm looking at £500-600+

i still remember this from Ty of Innerfidelity, when he was reviewing the 2016 RMAF:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf2016-day-2

''Day two in the big top. Man there's a lot of IEM makers in here. Maybe it's because the barriers to entry are low,
but I sure wouldn't want to be in that business...the competition is fierce. Worse, each manufacturer has
numerous products in the line, oft times touting a different tuning for each product. Headphones have
gotten a lot better over the last few years, but I don't see the same progress on the in-ear side...
or not as much anyway. Too many bright IEMs, it seems to me. I want to see someone who has a line
that's nicely tuned throughout...and guess what, I did find a company with such a line. We'll get to that down the page.''
(He was referring to Radius' lineup, as in link review)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf2016-day-2

now i don't know his thoughts on the current popular heavy hitters, (campfire etc) or his thoughts on $$$ iem pricing.
but hey if people want to pony up that coin and feel they're getting a good product, vs others, than who am I to say.
I'd love to listen to some of these boutique iems, of course...(esp after the rave reviews from canjam)
...and who knows, I just might just do that at my local headphone bar this wkend.
but there is no way i'd pony up that kind of coin (our cdn dollar sucks: 30% below US greenback)
...but I do fully respect others' rights to do as they please with their cash. if it makes them happy, then....

just wish prices would come back down to earth a bit for everyone involved.
at least 'mr speakers' is trying such with his new Aeon closed planar headphones @ $700, to be released in a few months.
beerchug.gif

to each their own.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #30,172 of 42,765

64 audio Tia fourte

Quad driver iem $3,600

PS no really

Anyways, I'm happy with my FAD FI-BA-SS and Audio Technica Ck100pro, those $3000+ iems ain't going to be 10 times better than my rigs, right?!

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #30,173 of 42,765

64 audio Tia fourte

Quad driver iem $3,600

PS no really

Actually K612 Pro is only £87.95 on Amazon at the moment!

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #30,175 of 42,765
At least a few of you were waiting for my impressions of the Focal Elear with the Mojo.

I am taking endless notes that may evolve into a full review, but this is the gist of it:

1. It is my new favorite headphone.
  2. Tonal balance is tuned like the HD 650. (Click here and here.)
  3. Technical performance is akin to the HD 800. It seems to have even better resolution and imaging. Picks up all the details the HD 800 does, but sounds far more natural and musical. Soundstage is a bit narrower, but more three-dimensional.
  4. Not as neutral or transparent as the STAX SR-207.
  5. EQ makes it pretty neutral. Just tone down the bass, bring up 3-8 kHz, and cut the peak around 9 kHz.
  6. With softer recordings, it's the most gorgeous thing I have ever heard. ❤️
  7. Has good microdynamic snap...
  8. ...but lacks macrodynamic power. When I want strong impact and dynamics for more energetic music (like metal and electronic), I easily prefer the Yamaha HPH-MT220.
  9. Comfortable for its size and weight, but the lightweight Koss Porta Pro is many times more comfortable.
  10. Build quality and aesthetics are superb. (But don't run over it with a tank. This isn't a Chord DAC.
    tongue_smile.gif
    )
  11. The cable is ridiculously long, but probably the sturdiest, nicest stock cable I've seen.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #30,176 of 42,765
  At least a few of you were waiting for my impressions of the Focal Elear with the Mojo.

I am taking endless notes that may evolve into a full review, but this is the gist of it:

1. It is my new favorite headphone.
  2. Tonal balance is tuned like the HD 650. (Click here and here.)
  3. Technical performance is akin to the HD 800. It seems to have even better resolution and imaging. Picks up all the details the HD 800 does, but sounds far more natural and musical. Soundstage is a bit narrower, but more three-dimensional.
  4. Not as neutral or transparent as the STAX SR-207.
  5. EQ makes it pretty neutral. Just tone down the bass, bring up 3-8 kHz, and cut the peak around 9 kHz.
  6. With softer recordings, it's the most gorgeous thing I have ever heard. ❤️
  7. Has good microdynamic snap...
  8. ...but lacks macrodynamic power. When I want strong impact and dynamics for more energetic music (like metal and electronic), I easily prefer the Yamaha HPH-MT220.
  9. Comfortable for its size and weight, but the lightweight Koss Porta Pro is many times more comfortable.
  10. Build quality and aesthetics are superb.
  11. The cable is ridiculously long, but probably the sturdiest, nicest stock cable I've seen.

Great review on the combo! 

You drive Mojo directly from Computer, no? 

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #30,177 of 42,765
  You drive Mojo directly from Computer, no?

Yup.

On that note, does anyone have recommendations for "smaller" things to further improve the sound of my system?

I have no budget limit, but for this, let's say...under $70?

I know many of you guys like to tinker around and it would be cool to hear your ideas.

I was thinking something along the lines of an ear pad upgrade and/or an entry-level network player.

What I've got so far:
http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin
http://www.rpimusicplayer.com
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-the-ultimate-music-streamer/

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #30,178 of 42,765

Yup.

On that note, does anyone have recommendations for "smaller" things to further improve the sound of my system?

I have no budget limit, but for this, let's say...under $70?

I know many of you guys like to tinker around and it would be cool to hear your ideas.

I was thinking something along the lines of an ear pad upgrade and/or an entry-level network player.

What I've got so far:
http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin
http://www.rpimusicplayer.com
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-the-ultimate-music-streamer/

Some people swear by ifi purifiers or jitterbugs 
biggrin.gif

I am yet to test either of them. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #30,180 of 42,765

Some people swear by ifi purifiers or jitterbugs 
biggrin.gif

I am yet to test either of them. 

Heh. I'd rather avoid spending money on cables and power-related things for the time being.

Really curious to try my first network player! Everyone raves about those improving the sound.

People start spending on cables or power adapters once they audition them or compare them side by side with stock ones.
Till then "Ignorance is Bliss".

Coming to Network Audio Adapter(NAA), i am thinking of getting microrendu or SOtM sms-200 with a good power supple like sbooster or uptone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back