Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 29, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #26,656 of 42,765
  I have problem with my Chord Mojo if I fully charge it during the evening and leave it off during the night, then next day morning  try to use it flashes red light and turns itself off. Is this a defect in unit or should I request to get it repaired if so how much it will cost.

Thanks..

How did you get to know that it's fully charged ?

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #26,659 of 42,765
All devices will change depending on the load. All of them.

Not sure where you got the mA measurements, but it's been stated that the Mojo delivers 0.5A RMS. Anyway, I'm tired of this constant back and forth. The simple fact is the Mojo is a little wonder box with incredible engineering that measures incredibly, sounds incredible, and is winning awards and music lovers hearts for a reason. I love it, others love it, and yet soooo many people just seem to want to lay false claims about extension and drive ability. Been at this for over a year with the Mojo and to be honest if someone doesn't like the little thing that's fine. If someone wants to point out measurements other than the designers, cool. Have fun. I'll just leave Rob's comments below about the current delivery of the Mojo. Have fun.

I never said it was bad. That being said.....why does the hugo sound more open and transparent with more highs if the mojo treble is measured the same? Because the lower noise modulation floor it sounds smoother? there is treble roll off. The whole dac chip, is a bit midcentric without much air at the top and a bit of emphasis on midbass. Sure if this was tuned for iems, sure, i guess the more bassier sound is good because there is so much noise out. Midbass emphasis doesn't allow for bass extension to go as far. Sure it might measure that way, but doesn't sound that way. Even @Duncan said that the qp1r has more extension on the top and bottom(albeit not controlled), so yes the mojo does not extend as far. Detail retrieval is great. There is also weird imaging which I found and I was glad that another member @Whitigir heard it and pointed out. Instead of a sphere its more of an X with some weird soundscaping. Also with added depth, comes narrow soundstage and less height.

If Mojo was such a transparent amp/dac with such driveability, there doesn't need to be any amps. This is untrue. I followed this forum and tried to drive my he-560 and it sounded far worse from the mojo than the ifi micro idsd, only because of lack of power. I like the DAC section of the mojo better. The mojo while being a marvel in engineering has short comings. I would never dissuade anyone from getting an amp for a HD800 or HE1K and tell them the mojo drives it well enough there will be no increase in sound quality. In a blind test I'm sure people would choose mojo with an amp with many of those headphones.

These are just characteristics of the dac, and if you like it, then you like it. If you don't, then you don't. Just because the masses like something, and award it doesn't mean its great. That reminds me of when my friend berated for not liking beyonce............ I think you know this. This forum is for honest opinions so that people who are looking for impressions can purchase. We aren't looking to fight and put down the mojo. Just try to give an honest opinions and impressions instead of hyperboles.

I read a lot of opinions and bought the QP1R.....people saying it is equal to or much better than the mojo. I find this for myself completely false and prefer the mojo by a mile. Everyone outside the ZX2 thread here said the mojo and qp1r is a step above the ZX2. I do not think so having heard all of them and think for iems, the ZX2(trrs) is better, with much better soundstaging, microdetail retreival(nuances), etc. The mojo does sound punchier and cleaner so it does sometimes make the music feel more alive. For headphones and my studio monitors....the mojo.

People's opinions can different from my own.....but i still respect them and it is their choice of what to think. If they want an amp, let them use the amp instead of being......the mojo has enough power...you just haven't had brain burn in to understand the sound....or you like distortion that is leading to a worse sound. Don't refuse to acknowledge someone else's opinion and keep regurgitating Rob Watt's words like the gospel. Everyone hears differently. If they didn't, CHORD would be the only dac maker and everyone would be left in the dust. Just be happy we have choices.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #26,660 of 42,765
  Yes indeed when I see light is off than I assume it is fullyl charged, I test it also for few minutes to see if it is working, then leave it off overnight but next morning it is completely drained.

We may progress troubleshooting if you may answer or test the following, please:

1. Off overnight means all color balls Off ?
  2. Off overnight with or without any other coaxial or USB cables plugged in ?
  3. If Off overnight with cables plugged, pls repeat overnight test without any cables
  4. From completely drained , how long does it take to fully charge again?
  5. How long do you have Mojo?
  6. Was Mojo purchased new?

Rgds.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #26,661 of 42,765

I never said it was bad. That being said.....why does the hugo sound more open and transparent with more highs if the mojo treble is measured the same? Because the lower noise modulation floor it sounds smoother? there is treble roll off. The whole dac chip, is a bit midcentric without much air at the top and a bit of emphasis on midbass. Sure if this was tuned for iems, sure, i guess the more bassier sound is good because there is so much noise out. Midbass emphasis doesn't allow for bass extension to go as far. Sure it might measure that way, but doesn't sound that way. Even @Duncan said that the qp1r has more extension on the top and bottom(albeit not controlled), so yes the mojo does not extend as far. Detail retrieval is great. There is also weird imaging which I found and I was glad that another member @Whitigir heard it and pointed out. Instead of a sphere its more of an X with some weird soundscaping. Also with added depth, comes narrow soundstage and less height.

If Mojo was such a transparent amp/dac with such driveability, there doesn't need to be any amps. This is untrue. I followed this forum and tried to drive my he-560 and it sounded far worse from the mojo than the ifi micro idsd, only because of lack of power. I like the DAC section of the mojo better. The mojo while being a marvel in engineering has short comings. I would never dissuade anyone from getting an amp for a HD800 or HE1K and tell them the mojo drives it well enough there will be no increase in sound quality. In a blind test I'm sure people would choose mojo with an amp with many of those headphones.

These are just characteristics of the dac, and if you like it, then you like it. If you don't, then you don't. Just because the masses like something, and award it doesn't mean its great. That reminds me of when my friend berated for not liking beyonce............ I think you know this. This forum is for honest opinions so that people who are looking for impressions can purchase. We aren't looking to fight and put down the mojo. Just try to give an honest opinions and impressions instead of hyperboles.

I read a lot of opinions and bought the QP1R.....people saying it is equal to or much better than the mojo. I find this for myself completely false and prefer the mojo by a mile. Everyone outside the ZX2 thread here said the mojo and qp1r is a step above the ZX2. I do not think so having heard all of them and think for iems, the ZX2(trrs) is better, with much better soundstaging, microdetail retreival(nuances), etc. The mojo does sound punchier and cleaner so it does sometimes make the music feel more alive. For headphones and my studio monitors....the mojo.

People's opinions can different from my own.....but i still respect them and it is their choice of what to think. If they want an amp, let them use the amp instead of being......the mojo has enough power...you just haven't had brain burn in to understand the sound....or you like distortion that is leading to a worse sound. Don't refuse to acknowledge someone else's opinion and keep regurgitating Rob Watt's words like the gospel. Everyone hears differently. If they didn't, CHORD would be the only dac maker and everyone would be left in the dust. Just be happy we have choices.

You NAILED it with those comments about the Mojo!

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #26,662 of 42,765
it's very surprising people find high impedance headphones difficult to drive with mojo. I don't have any problems with mojo driving dt880 600ohm. as far as sound signature of mojo is concerned, as per chord mojo has more noise filtering which makes the sound signature warm which actually is not a roll off of treble. hugo has less filtering but might have better transients making it sound more open.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #26,663 of 42,765
We may progress troubleshooting if you may answer or test the following, please: can I ask what colour was the battery indicator light under the USB charging port when you indicated it was charged.

• Off overnight means all color balls Off ?
  • Off overnight with or without any other coaxial or USB cables plugged in ?
  • If Off overnight with cables plugged, pls repeat overnight test without any cables
  • From completely drained , how long does it take to fully charge again?
  • How long do you have Mojo?
  • Was Mojo purchased new?

Rgds.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #26,665 of 42,765

Konstantins is a very knowledgeable guy :wink:

I got my Lavricable that failed back from Konstantins.
He said he couldn't tell what was wrong but he replaced the electronics inside anyway.
It all works now. I'm a happy customer.

I'm pleased to hear it's now working for you.

Are you feeling in a helpful mood?

There is someone in the Hugo thread who might appreciate some help from you, if you could spare the time:

Are you sure it was Russia?    Could it have been Latvia?     (Konstantin at Lavricables)

If it was Lavricable, then you should contact Konstantin and he may update your cable for you, so that it works with the latest version of iOS.

If it wasn't that cable maker, then you can find some alternative cables in post #3 of the Mojo thread.

I've listed several there, but the most popular one seems to be the PenonAudio cable (it's not the cheapest, though...)

I think it was Lavricable.  It has red sleeve.  Unfortunately, the eBay vendor's page is no longer available.  Thanks.

Here is a picture of what the Lavricable CCK cable looks like:

Does that look the same as your cable?

If it does look identical, then the following, very recent, conversation, from the Mojo thread, may be of interest to you:

My Lavricables Lightning to micro-USB cable stopped working on my Chord Mojo when I upgraded to iOS 10.1.1 on my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm kinda disappointed as it was working perfectly on iOS 9.x.

The Mojo is fine. With iOS 10.1.1, I've confirmed it works fine with an official Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter plus a generic USB-A to micro-USB cable.

(I've tried rebooting the iPhone and the Mojo many times to no avail. Even when the power button on the Mojo displays in red, the Mojo is not recognized by the iPhone 6 Plus. Using the Apple cable works.)

I've sent Lavricables a Facebook message/post. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sandiway

Same iPhone version. Same Lavricables. Same iOS. Same Mojo.
All works perfectly.

Thanks for letting me know!

Looks like the electronics inside the cable died. Konstantins Lavriks asked me to send it back to Latvia...

I suggest you try contacting one of these head-fiers for further advice, and/or contacting Lavricable via Facebook (but obviously, only if your cable does look to be an identical cable made by Lavricable)

Good luck, and remember, there are lots of other cables available, many of which are conveniently listed in the iDevices section of post #3, in the Mojo thread.

beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #26,666 of 42,765
I'm getting my Mojo next month and have ordered the optical cable to hook up to my X7 Fiio.

Most of my files are in Flac format. From this thread I've gathered that the best format is RBCD redbook CD. 16bit/44.1KHz.
Does it make a difference if the files were in .wav or .flac ? I've gone through most of post#3, but I might have missed that info...

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #26,667 of 42,765
I'm getting my Mojo next month and have ordered the optical cable to hook up to my X7 Fiio.

Most of my files are in Flac format. From this thread I've gathered that the best format is RBCD redbook CD. 16bit/44.1KHz.
Does it make a difference if the files were in .wav or .flac ? I've gone through most of post#3, but I might have missed that info...

Thanks.
ask Warrior1975, he has that stack.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #26,668 of 42,765

Thanks.

Flac is a file conversion that reduces the file size of a wav file without losing quality (unlike mp3), so you are good to go with flac.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #26,669 of 42,765

Thanks.

I do not recall reading that the Mojo is best with Redbook files. Any Redbook quality or above would be fine.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #26,670 of 42,765

Thanks.

.wav and .flac are both lossless so there's no quality loss in either one. FLAC is better for tagging

Users who are viewing this thread

Back