Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 7, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #20,987 of 42,765
I'll speak for myself when I say that Tidal with my iPod touch/Mojo into my Alclair CIEMs is absolute bliss!!!! No issues whatsoever.

From reading a few pages back, it appears the issue is with offline Tidal files not working due to encryption issues. This, unfortunately, is a deal breaker for me since my music would strictly be offline files from Tidal (streaming would not be ideal since I'd be using this setup at work) .

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #20,988 of 42,765
Reading about all of these issues makes me want to forget the whole idea of using a separate DAC/amp!

Fair. But might I also suggest an alternative before you give up on the Mojo. You could get an iPod touch which takes care of the EMI/RF issues. And for the Apple Camera Adapter, apple stores offer 14-Day return policy and few stores offer 30-Day return policy. So even if the first unit doesn't work, highly likely the second unit might. You don't have to take this advise. But I thought I should let you know that there are options.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #20,989 of 42,765
Fair. But might I also suggest an alternative before you give up on the Mojo. You could get an iPod touch which takes care of the EMI/RF issues. And for the Apple Camera Adapter, apple stores offer 14-Day return policy and few stores offer 30-Day return policy. So even if the first unit doesn't work, highly likely the second unit might. You don't have to take this advise. But I thought I should let you know that there are options.

Thanks. I've also considered this. I don't want to give up on the Mojo as well! Unfortunately, I think what I'm asking for is technically impossible: using offline Tidal/Spotify music with an external DAC.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #20,990 of 42,765
From reading a few pages back, it appears the issue is with offline Tidal files not working due to encryption issues. This, unfortunately, is a deal breaker for me since my music would strictly be offline files from Tidal (streaming would not be ideal since I'd be using this setup at work) .

All I'm using is offline to, that's the only way I listen to Tidal.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #20,991 of 42,765

Let me explain. Android devices do not output bit-perfect signal through USB out. So android owners who use Tidal, use an app called UAPP to stream Tidal music so that it can output bit-perfect signal. Now Tidal does not allow allow other apps/clients to access its Tidal-Offline tracks. As long as you are using the Tidal app itself to play Tidal-Offline files, you should be fine.

iOS outputs bit-perfect signal. So you can just use the Tidal app to stream and play Tidal-Offline files.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #20,992 of 42,765
Let me explain. Android devices do not output bit-perfect signal through USB out. So android owners who use Tidal, use an app called UAPP to stream Tidal music so that it can output bit-perfect signal. Now Tidal does not allow allow other apps/clients to access its Tidal-Offline tracks. As long as you are using the Tidal app itself to play Tidal-Offline files, you should be fine.

iOS outputs bit-perfect signal. So you can just use the Tidal app to stream and play Tidal-Offline files.

Sorry for my ingnorance. So to clarify, the only way to get bit perfect data passed to the Mojo for OFFLINE Tidal songs is with an iOS device, correct? And this would also apply to Spotify offline?

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #20,993 of 42,765
Sorry for my ingnorance. So to clarify, the only way to get bit perfect data passed to the Mojo for OFFLINE Tidal songs is with an iOS device, correct? And this would also apply to Spotify offline?

To the extent of my knowledge, Yes. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #20,996 of 42,765
I use Spotify with IPhone 6+ and the USB3 camera connector with Mojo and have no problems. The added lightning receptical in the connector allowing charging while outputting audio works great. The only sounds not related to the music are an occasional slightly lowering of volume when I think, email is being received, need to varify that, and a very low level, sort of oscillating, almost mechanical tone, that repeats intermittently while charging with no music playing, and is not audible during play.

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #20,997 of 42,765
I use Spotify with IPhone 6+ and the USB3 camera connector with Mojo and have no problems. The added lightning receptical in the connector allowing charging while outputting audio works great. The only sounds not related to the music are an occasional slightly lowering of volume when I think, email is being received, need to varify that, and a very low level, sort of oscillating, almost mechanical tone, that repeats intermittently while charging with no music playing, and is not audible during play.

Here's my game plan: my wife is the only iPhone user, so I buy her a new one with the condition that I can use her old one as a source. We then go to Barney's.. I buy her a pair of shoes, with the condition that I can buy this $600 black box that looks like something my kid would have in his room. Let do this.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #20,998 of 42,765
Here's my game plan: my wife is the only iPhone user, so I buy her a new one with the condition that I can use her old one as a source. We then go to Barney's.. I buy her a pair of shoes, with the condition that I can buy this $600 black box that looks like something my kid would have in his room. Let do this.
Looking at the big picture, she will lose respect for you if you think that way. Do what leading men do in action movies.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #21,000 of 42,765
  Ok, i tested again a Note 3 and S6 phones....

S6 has a native support, note 3 does not. both Lollipop

problems are still there,for both phones, there's a subtle distortion, clicks and pops during playback, but even in background
with mate 7 distortion is much more hearable, so that should be a phone problem.

Anyway, mojo is definately NOT and android phone friendly DAC.
even my DAC1 of many years old can work with android, that doesn't mean it's an android dac.

just making more tests, the Fiio E18 pc mode out works with the otg adapter, but not with the included micro to micro cable.
this means 2 things:

E18 micro to micro cables are not really otg cables, or are made to work with fiio E18 phone mode only.

then, MOJO is just an USB DAC made for pc, with wanna be android compatibility mode, and that means it draws power from battery phone or it's prone to noise .
it may be prone to glitches, even very very subtle glitces, difficult to hear when on the go and without a carefull listening session.

with galaxy S6 and a longer cable and airplane mode, glitches and digital noise are still really subtlelty hearable, and accurately comparing the sound quality when connected to pc, it's evident.
with pc the mojo is smoother and better sounding. and it is a funny finding knowing that it is not galvanically isolated.

fiio E18 is really an android/mobile dac and well engeneered for portable use with USB devices.

MOJO is not, and it sucks when usb connected to phones.
that's the end of the story

I 've recently purchased a Chord Mojo upgrading from a Fiio E18.
I totally agree in everything you wrote, congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back