Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #20,356 of 42,788

it's a power thing, USB 1 only puts out 500ma maximum, so not enough to fuel the mojo.

Sorry,not doubting but wondering...
Eager to learn.
Do you need more than 500mA in order to establish protocol communication ?
Unclear for me since Mojo is powered by a dedicated usb power input.

I made a post to answer this but it's not here. Maybe a mod deleted it.

I will try again though because I think it is relevant to the Mojo.

This is what the What Hi-Fi review of the Meridian Explorer says about requiring USB 2.0.

Quote, "
Furthermore, the Explorer employs USB audio class 2.0, which allows full native playback of high-resolution 192kHz sample rates. This is opposed to audio class 1.0 –as is found in the HRT microStreamer, for example – which limits the sample rate to 96kHz, with higher sample rates having to be downsampled."

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/meridian/explorer-dac/review#q2iX4Kesd3TtEP32.99

The Mojo will still get a 5V signal on it's audio data line in, on a USB 1.0 hub.

It seems more likely that the issue is with bandwidth, as stated in the What Hi-Fi review of the Meridian Explorer.  

Anyway @Arpiben found it in the manual.

Quote from Arpiben's post. (Post 20297 on page 1354.)
" Nevertheless,that is the reason why Chord in Mojo's manual is writing the following:

Connect Mojo to the host computer, phone, or tablet by inserting a USB lead into any available USB
socket. To support high sample rates (96Khz and above) the USB socket on the computer must be USB
2.0 or above."

No, it's still there, 4 pages back:

I found the point they made on the What Hi Fi of why the Meridian Explorer needs USB 2.0. (This must be why it doesn't work on my USB 1.0 hub even with CD FLAC files.)

Quote, "Furthermore, the Explorer employs USB audio class 2.0, which allows full native playback of high-resolution 192kHz sample rates. This is opposed to audio class 1.0 –as is found in the HRT microStreamer, for example – which limits the sample rate to 96kHz, with higher sample rates having to be downsampled."

http://www.whathifi.com/meridian/explorer-dac/review

I guess the Mojo sees the same reasoning.

I could buy a 2.0 hub and try the Mojo on it, but I'd rather not spend until someone confirms it. Thanks folks.

------------
Or of course I could use a USB extension cable. Hub or USB extension cable though will kind of defeat the object. If I end up buying a quality shielded USB cable for the Mojo that is. (Am thinking about buying a shielded cable to try stops random clicks on playback.)

A hub or extension cable will however make it easy to disconnect the PC from the Mojo. Thus allowing for input selection of optical easily; which is where this started.

beerchug.gif

PS: if you'd like to be singled-out for unfair treatment by the mods, with random un-called-for post-deletions, I can find out if that could be arranged! 
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #20,357 of 42,788

DAB tuner streams at 48KHz. 

I need to try again n that station. Classical music allows us to turn up the volume without being blasted out. Thus we can hear quiet clicks. Major issue though if it's the Mojo. I just don't get it, because I have listened to Classic FM before and not noticed it. 

That is the downside of using equipment with such a very low noisefloor. Small noises that before would have been lost in the noisefloor, can now be heard.

With my phone, I added ferrite chokes, then stopped using Foobar and Hiby, and switched to uapp - and all the main clicks/pops etc disappeared. There is still some low level noise audible on quiet passages of music, which is irritating, but hopefully I will find a cure. Part of me does suspect that this residual noise will only be removed, when chord release the add-on modules.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #20,358 of 42,788

No, it's still there, 4 pages back:

beerchug.gif

PS: if you'd like to be singled-out for unfair treatment by the mods, with random un-called-for post-deletions, I can find out if that could be arranged! 
wink_face.gif

Oh yeah, post 20306. I looked and looked and for it.

PS I am stuck in (Youtube) loop listening to I Love It - Icona Pop. (I have heard sounds in it that I never heard before.)

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #20,359 of 42,788
Oh yeah, post 20306. I looked and looked and for it.

PS I am stuck in (Youtube) loop listening to [COLOR=800080]I Love It - Icona Pop[/COLOR]. (I have heard sounds in it that I never heard before.)
Heard that song in a movie.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #20,360 of 42,788
Yes Mython, there seems to be a lot of messing about on this thread, perhaps some of us are not taking our addiction seriously enough? 
wink_face.gif

Enjoy your weekend guys and be careful playing with the fish!
eek.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #20,361 of 42,788
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if the mojo works with the Samsung Galaxy S1? I happen to have this as a spare unused phone, and it seems like a good size to pair both. Also can anyone compare the sound of the mojo to the ak300?
Thanks in advance.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #20,362 of 42,788
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if the mojo works with the Samsung Galaxy S1? I happen to have this as a spare unused phone, and it seems like a good size to pair both. Also can anyone compare the sound of the mojo to the ak300?
Thanks in advance.

The launch Galaxy S had Android version 2.1, but OTG was not introduced until Android version 3.1 - so you need to check what version on Android is on you phone.

[edit] the Galaxy S2 had Android version 2.3, so I think that you are unlucky, unless you had Android updated to version 3.1.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #20,363 of 42,788
Sorry - Maybe I misread the original post that I quoted...

For powering the mojo, USB1 isn't enough, also - for playback, I also believe there are issues, and that it can only be USB2 that carries audio (can run driverless), or - USB3, albeit for the newer, higher bitrate files - a driver is required.

Sorry for confusion.

No worries at all @Duncan.
Since I am technically stubborn, i will try to find an old laptop with USB 1.0/1.1 and connect Mojo to it just for knowledge. For sure personnaly I will never use USB1.x with Mojo.
Chord's manual is not so crystal clear regarding the USB1.x compatibilty and on only specifies USB2.0 minimum for higher rates.
Mojo's USB description at protocol level is showing USB2.0, but I am lacking experience in USB protocol for knowing if it is exclusive or not.

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #20,364 of 42,788
  Not sure if that's the best album to test anything, I remember reading somewhere and the higher frequency on this album was completely cut off due to some technical error.

So I read a little bit on this from the link shared by Relic. It appears that there is no data above 22kHz. This shouldn’t matter if you have the album in Red-Book format(Audio CD) or MP3 downloads as those formats would not anyways have any information above that frequency mark.

Even if you have the Hi-Res version of the album, which has the ability to hold information beyond the 22kHz, it still shouldn’t matter as the human hearing is limited to 20kHz. Not meaning to start a debate on Hi-Res topic. Just something to think about.

All that argument aside, all I can say is that the album is a really good one. One that could be used for testing.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/808665/popular-classical-music/60#post_12619945

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #20,367 of 42,788
What I was just listening a song and just middle of the song Mojo cuts out. I was using optical and it doesn't work anymore I dont get it I didn't touch anything. USB input works but What

Users who are viewing this thread

Back