Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #19,351 of 42,765
  I have a little problem  with my current setup.

Setup:
LG G4 (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) running UAPP (2.7.1) ->
OTG Micro-B to Micro-B (0.5M) ->
Mojo

Problem:
The first 0.5 secs of any manually-selected song (vanilla 16bit 44Khz WAV) is clipped and occasionally I hear a loud pop. The next song queued starts normally and otherwise, quality is perfect.
The problem does not appear when I have the same setup but I am using the AQ Dragonfly Red DAC (different cable). Ditto for my old Headroom Bithead (different cable, but also 0.5M in length).

This sounds to me like some kind of buffer issue - as if the Mojo is quicker to convert than the DAP can deliver... .

Anyone else had / have this issue? It's a minor detail but annoying all the same.

EDIT
Very interesting:
http://www.extreamsd.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=311
User: "
roughly the 1st second of every track is fading in​
"

ExtreamSD: "
It's a 'feature' of Chord devices​
They fade in the sound when the USB alt setting is changed​
..."

I haven't experienced a loud pop.
However, since upgrading my Xperia Z3 to Android 6, I get the occasional "click". This NEVER happened on Android 5.
UAPP couldn't see a reason when I sent logs. Tweaking UAPP settings hasn't made it stop.
What causes this (on my phone) is anything Google. So, Chrome, Google+ etc.
If I use other Apps over WIFI, not clicks.
It seems that Android 6 (on the sony, maybe your LG too) has a resource priority favouring Google own apps at the expense of all else which causes the audible glitch. Annoying

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #19,353 of 42,765
how do you know if your getting bitperfect output over usb from phone to mojo?
uapp bit perfect but other players sounds as good.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #19,354 of 42,765
...Setup: LG G4 (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) running UAPP (2.7.1) -> OTG Micro-B to Micro-B (0.5M) -> Mojo
Problem: The first 0.5 secs of any manually-selected song (vanilla 16bit 44Khz WAV) is clipped and occasionally I hear a loud pop. The next song queued starts normally and otherwise, quality is perfect. The problem does not appear when I have the same setup but I am using the AQ Dragonfly Red DAC (different cable). Ditto for my old Headroom Bithead (different cable, but also 0.5M in length).
... EDIT
Very interesting:
"

..."

Kudos to the Extreamsd Team
cool.gif

Might want to try looking at the tweaks available in the UAPP settings.

Very good recommendation, thank you! I unfortunately couldn't find anything "obvious". However...
...thanks to Extremsd's instant feedback (via forum) there is ineed an option that removes / avoids the problem:
Uncheck the "Free USB bandwidth after playback" option

Now again to be clear, this "fade in" only happens to the first song in the playlist. In real-world usage, no one will ever notice (or be really bothered by it). However during A/B testing, it is annoying as one can very well imagine. So I will disable the option during my A/B testing and I will leave it enabled during normal usage as I am sure it is a wanted option for the rest of DAPs functions
wink.gif

And this, just in... the same problem cropped up with my office workstation running Windows 7... ! 
eek.gif
So the issue is clearly generalized and not specific to the UAPP App.
wink.gif
Why Chord programmed the Mojo (/Hugo/ ...) that way is beyond my understanding of USB protocols... .

I found USB audio player pro is very clear with Mojo. ... For me Onkyo player sounds more V or U shaped sound. You can hear more details with USB audio player. At least that is true in my case.

Very interesting! All my friends are Onkyo addicts (they love the UI for the most part) - I may have to buy Onkyo too, just to compare. Interface Jitter issues aside, It's hard (for me) to understand the potential effect of the DAP's software in the audio chain... .
confused.gif

I haven't experienced a loud pop.
However, since upgrading my Xperia Z3 to Android 6, I get the occasional "click". This NEVER happened on Android 5.
UAPP couldn't see a reason when I sent logs. Tweaking UAPP settings hasn't made it stop.
What causes this (on my phone) is anything Google. So, Chrome, Google+ etc.
If I use other Apps over WIFI, not clicks.
It seems that Android 6 (on the sony, maybe your LG too) has a resource priority favouring Google own apps at the expense of all else which causes the audible glitch. Annoying

Interesting AND unfortunate. No one wants / needs to hear annoying clicks / pops distracting us from the music, much less the occasional pain the louder ones inflict on our eardrums
frown.gif
To be honest, when I go "all audiophile" with my phone, I am usually busy on another device (like my office PC). I will have to give it a test though on my G4. Do you use any other App?
So here's another reason for me to try out Onkyo as well... .

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #19,355 of 42,765

...Setup: LG G4 (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) running UAPP (2.7.1) -> OTG Micro-B to Micro-B (0.5M) -> Mojo
Problem: The first 0.5 secs of any manually-selected song (vanilla 16bit 44Khz WAV) is clipped and occasionally I hear a loud pop. The next song queued starts normally and otherwise, quality is perfect. The problem does not appear when I have the same setup but I am using the AQ Dragonfly Red DAC (different cable). Ditto for my old Headroom Bithead (different cable, but also 0.5M in length).
... EDIT
Very interesting:
"

..."

Kudos to the Extreamsd Team
cool.gif

Might want to try looking at the tweaks available in the UAPP settings.

Very good recommendation, thank you! I unfortunately couldn't find anything "obvious". However...
...thanks to Extremsd's instant feedback (via forum) there is indeed an option that removes / avoids the problem:
Uncheck the "Free USB bandwidth after playback" option

Now again to be clear, this "fade in" only happens to the first song in the playlist. In real-world usage, no one will ever notice (or be really bothered by it). However during A/B testing, it is annoying as one can very well imagine. So I will disable the option during my A/B testing and I will leave it enabled during normal usage as I am sure it is a wanted option for the rest of DAPs functions
wink.gif

And this, just in... the same problem cropped up with my office workstation running Windows 7... ! 
eek.gif
So the issue is clearly generalized and not specific to the UAPP App.
wink.gif
Why Chord programmed the Mojo (/Hugo/ ...) that way is beyond my understanding of USB protocols... .

No kudos needed for anyone. Rob, himself, has openly explained the reason for sometimes muting a tiny portion of certain tracks (including the first track in a playlist)

The problem of muting the initial start is due to certain OS and apps - when the sample rate changes, the data in the buffers get sent out at the wrong rate. When you switch from DSD to PCM you then get a loud bang, or track played at the wrong rate for a period. Now this fault is in the app, its absolutely nothing to do with the DAC.

So to fix the apps problem, if the sample rate changes, I force a mute for 0.5 seconds, so that you do not hear these noises. On some apps, you can force a small silent period at the beginning and this solves the issue.

If I didn't do this I would have people complaining about bangs thumps and music being played at the wrong rate. Better silence than shots being fired off!  

Rob

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #19,356 of 42,765

No kudos needed for anyone. Rob, himself, has openly explained the reason for sometimes muting a tiny portion of certain tracks (including the first track in a playlist)

Thanks for that very interesting piece.Well done Chord! Like I said, I won't begin to pretend to understand USB protocols.
confused.gif

As for the "Kudos", I never suggested anyone did something wrong... only that I have (make that had) no clue why Chord does it. Furthermore, I find it amazing that anyone can build an App like UAPP that works with a multitude of DAP and DACs - so yeah, they do deserve recognition for being aware of "features" implemented by DAC developer X
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #19,357 of 42,765

Thanks for that very interesting piece.Well done Chord! Like I said, I won't begin to pretend to understand USB protocols.
confused.gif

As for the "Kudos", I never suggested anyone did something wrong... only that I have (make that had) no clue why Chord does it. Furthermore, I find it amazing that anyone can build an App like UAPP that works with a multitude of DAP and DACs - so yeah, they do deserve recognition for being aware of "features" implemented by DAC developer X
biggrin.gif

LOL - just made me laugh, that's all
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #19,358 of 42,765
Keywords: Loud Pop | Foobar2000 | FB2K | WASAPI | Loud Pop | Loud Click | Seek Bar | Seeking | Windows 7

Talking about Loud Pops: I am using Foobar2000 on my Windows 7 machine with the WASAPI component / plugin. I get loud pops when I try to seek within a track using the seek bar, I get loud pops/clicks. After a bit of research and experimentation, I figured I get the loud pop, only when I use the WASAPI component. When I switch the output to Windows Default or ASIO, I don’t get the loud pop. ASIO seems to mute the first 0.5 seconds, after seeking which I am guessing is a way to prevent this loud pop or click. Please let me know if there is a way to prevent this loud pop when using WASAPI.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #19,359 of 42,765
Any chance of a link to this cable, can't find a usb-c to micro anywhere...

@jimbojangles Penon Audio has a few selections of cables especially for Mojo. You should try contacting them directly from their site or send them a message on their aliexpress store if they're willing to make a custom type-C USB to micro USB cable. Some stores in aliexpress accept these kinds of requests. I've tried it from another store when I ordered a custom coaxial cable for my Mojo and X3ii. Here's the link to Penon Audio's USB cables available at their website:

Penon Audio
http://penonaudio.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=24_75

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #19,360 of 42,765
I need some advices on how to get the best from my Mojo on a Windows 10 64 bit and JRiver listening setup.

1) Which bit depth and sample rate should I set in windows-audio control panel? 24 bit (44 to 384000 Hz)? Or 32 bit and which sample rate?

2) In JRiver, as output should I use Chord ASIO driver or Chord Async USB [Wasapi]?

3) What buffering settings in JRiver?

I guess the same or similar settings also applies to Foobar. I just want to get the best possible sound out of my Mojo mainly with JRiver. I'm using it as a desktop DAC.

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #19,362 of 42,765
I am sorry if this has been addressed, I tried sera chin but could not find anything.  I am using the Mojo streaming Tidal from my iPhone, Lavricable silver cable direct connection from phone to Mojo with Noble K10u IEMs.  Sounds beautiful, however, the Mojo only registers the red color denoting 44 kHz sample freq, but Tidal is supposed to be higher.  Is it impossible to do this on the iPhone or am I missing something?  Thanks in advance.

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #19,363 of 42,765
  I am sorry if this has been addressed, I tried sera chin but could not find anything.  I am using the Mojo streaming Tidal from my iPhone, Lavricable silver cable direct connection from phone to Mojo with Noble K10u IEMs.  Sounds beautiful, however, the Mojo only registers the red color denoting 44 kHz sample freq, but Tidal is supposed to be higher.  Is it impossible to do this on the iPhone or am I missing something?  Thanks in advance.

TIDAL is 44.1 KHz, so what you're seeing is correct.

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #19,364 of 42,765

also  in your tidal 'settings'  ensure they're set to 'hi fi'
(under 'file' if on desktop) click on streaming, then click on hi fi

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #19,365 of 42,765

also  in your tidal 'settings'  ensure they're set to 'hi fi'
(under 'file' if on desktop) click on streaming, then click on hi fi

I have previously done this and it says hifi on all my streams.  However as someone mentioned above, Tidal maxes out at 44 kHz.  I think there may be plans to be more hi-res in the future.  If I am wrong can someone please correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back