Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #17,882 of 42,765

May 20, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #17,883 of 42,765

I have both but can't really recognize the difference between using and not using the JitterBug with Mojo

These things (jitterbug) are sub-tractive (noise) and also additive ( dynamics, sound-stage) right ?

May 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #17,884 of 42,765

These things (jitterbug) are sub-tractive (noise) and also additive ( dynamics, sound-stage) right ?

Not sure what is the working theory inside JitterBug but, before Mojo, I used the JitterBug with a desktop DAC which the JitterBug made a significant difference. With my Mojo, the very same set of setup does not show any difference (at least I cannot tell) on using JitterBug.

May 20, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #17,885 of 42,765
OK so you used the laptop as well I guess. I was meaning to ask what source you where using together with Mojo :wink:

I could send you a link with a Lampizator GG review where a certain USB cable is also highly praised :)
Can you maybe give a short comparison between Mojo and the Lampi?
BTW maybe you can get a high quality adapter and use the Synergistic Research cable.
Cheers

Comparing the Lampizator Lite 7 and Mojo is a little unfair since the Lite 7 is more than 10X the price.

But if you wanna know how they compare I can mention a few things I noticed when listening in a stereo environment.

The Lampi used an Analysis plus balanced cable

Mojo used an audioquest cinnamon Cable.

Mojo: More forward, kind of in your face, very detailed,good depth, very good base, great imaging,great depth doesn't sound like typical digital.

lampizator: Wider and more laid back soundstage ,Much more detailed,more body, harder and meatier base, sounds very analogue. Instruments have more weight and heft to them. Drums and trumpets sound surreal! (It sounds as if a person is playing right in front of you)

Knowing all that there are reason why I still love to use Mojo.
For one, if I wanted to lay in bed and shut my eyes and listening to music there is no way I can do that with the lampi. Two, Mojo can transport me directly to a live performance anywhere at any time.

I find that by using the Mojo as purely as possible (Headphone or IEM to Mojo) I can achieve a similar level of immersion as compared to the Lampi.

So in short,the Mojo shows a lot it's magic in a quite, isolated environment with headphones and IEM's.

May 20, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #17,886 of 42,765
ok, I'd like to discuss the only issue I have with the Mojo, and it's something I've noticed 8-10 times now. Been through the whole thread and the 3rd post and if I missed a mention of it, forgive me. Try this scenario: 
Mojo runs out of juice while using it. You want to keep using it there and then, so you plug the power cable in. You keep using it until it's time to call it a night. You switch off and leave it to charge. You wake up in the morning, disconnect the charging cable and start listening again. BUT then it runs out of juice in the next 2 min. Looks like it didn't charge overnight then. I'm using an Anker 60W 6-port charger. Different charging cables too. What gives? Never bothered to check charging lights etc but I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Anyone else notice that?

May 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #17,887 of 42,765
Hey max thanks for this comparison.
I know it's not fair and kind of silly to compare the two, but I had to ask.
And like I said, please keep us updated if you get hold of a better cable to connect Mojo.

Cheers

May 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #17,888 of 42,765
  ok, I'd like to discuss the only issue I have with the Mojo, and it's something I've noticed 8-10 times now. Been through the whole thread and the 3rd post and if I missed a mention of it, forgive me. Try this scenario: 
Mojo runs out of juice while using it. You want to keep using it there and then, so you plug the power cable in. You keep using it until it's time to call it a night. You switch off and leave it to charge. You wake up in the morning, disconnect the charging cable and start listening again. BUT then it runs out of juice in the next 2 min. Looks like it didn't charge overnight then. I'm using an Anker 60W 6-port charger. Different charging cables too. What gives? Never bothered to check charging lights etc but I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Anyone else notice that?

It could be that you accidently plugged the Micro usb cable into Usb data input port instead of the Usb charging port. It happend to me a few times in the beginning. Now I check to make sure it's charging before I leave my Mojo charging overnight. 

May 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #17,890 of 42,765

I experienced that with Samsung 2A chargers. I think because they have aggressive energy saving built in, so charging a phone gets full power up to around 75 - 80% of the battery capacity, then it drops to a trickle.
With the 4 Samsung chargers (all less than 1 year old) I have, I can replicate the charger filling the battery, to a point, then the trickle drops below the minimum MoJo requires, and so MoJo runs flat.
Older chargers, or the Sony 1.5A charger I now use, this never happens as they deliver the charge MoJo needs, when required.

It's not about the max power, but how and when these power bricks deliver it. I can only suggest you use another charger

May 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #17,891 of 42,765

Experienced the same once. Can't remember what did I do beforehand when I discovered this but the White charging LED was flashing when I tried to pull the USB mains out from Mojo in the morning

May 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #17,892 of 42,765

I experienced that with Samsung 2A chargers. I think because they have aggressive energy saving built in, so charging a phone gets full power up to around 75 - 80% of the battery capacity, then it drops to a trickle.
With the 4 Samsung chargers (all less than 1 year old) I have, I can replicate the charger filling the battery, to a point, then the trickle drops below the minimum MoJo requires, and so MoJo runs flat.
Older chargers, or the Sony 1.5A charger I now use, this never happens as they deliver the charge MoJo needs, when required.

It's not about the max power, but how and when these power bricks deliver it. I can only suggest you use another charger

You could actually have a point. I'll try another charger and see if it makes a difference. Good to see others have experienced this issue

May 20, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #17,893 of 42,765
I got hold of an Auralic Vega to test a bit more with.

The Vega is having no issues at all with DSD128 via DoP, where as the Mojo still exhibits drop-outs.

Unfortunately the Vega I got hold of doesn't have the 2.x firmware, so there's no way to test it with DSD256 (and a firmware update requires returning the unit to the manufacturer).

I did a bit more reading, including refreshing my memory of the USB 2.0 Audio specs and then looking at the standards for DoP 1.0 and 1.1.  And the short version there is that the PCM channel is more efficient when used for PCM data than it is for DoP data.  In other words, DoP format data fits fewer actual sample bits per frame than standard PCM (this is because additional information has to be included for DoP to identify the stream).

The net effect of this is that the required, sustained, USB transfer rates for DoP signaling are rather higher than for PCM of the same equivalent bit rate/depth.  When you do the math (if I've done it correctly) DSD128 over DoP 1.0 is right at, and DSD256 over DoP 1.0 is beyond, the maximum sustainable transfer speed for USB 2.0 (which is somewhat lower than the theoretical 480 Mb/s.

With DoP 1.1 more sample bits per frame can be transmitted and it comes in at just under the USB 2.0 transfer speed limit.  It's very borderline and wouldn't take much in terms of cable, hub, USB chipset or software to upset it.

Obviously using a native driver that doesn't have to deal with the transmission (not processing) overhead over putting DSD data over a PCM stream, and the required USB transmission rate falls to a point where it's within the USB 2.0 spec for sustained transmission and has enough leeway that would give you some allowance for less-than-ideal hardware/software in the chain.

Since Mojo, officially, only seems to support DoP 1.0 that pretty much ends the mystery for me.

The interesting question would now be whether it's actually possible to get DSD128 or higher with a Mojo from a Mac.  The specs, strictly speaking, say "no".

It should be relatively easy to do so via Windows and a native, non-DoP interface, driver however.

May 20, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #17,894 of 42,765
Ok guys, my chordmojo arrived! Nice peace, and now the combo is complete for me!!!
The real deal!!! 
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

# MY GEARS COMBO
> shure se846 + blue filter
> silver litz ted
> chord mojo
> ipod touch 6g

# PICS OF MY GEARS

May 20, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #17,895 of 42,765
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I'm not clear on the value of pairing a DAP with the Mojo, if it's only going to be used as a transport. My understanding is that the transport will have no bearing on the quality of the signal that goes through the Mojo and out of your headphones, which is why I always recommend a good Android phone with a microSD slot capable of 200gb cards.

Am I incorrect in believing a DAP is useless with the Mojo, unless you love its amp section, which is traditionally the weakness of most DAPs, making this scenario highly doubtful?

I appreciate any input people have. I would just hate to see people buy $700 DAP to pair if a $100 Android phone will do the job, and with a superior interface.

Remember that the transport simply passes the signal to the Mojo, which is where the magic happens, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back