Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 25, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #14,386 of 42,765
  Is it possible I am getting a better sound quality and experience with W7+foobar2000+Mojo+HD600 than W7+foobar2000+SchiitModi2+SchiitAgard2+HD600?

If I am not fool and that's true, what to change? The Modi 2 or the Asgard 2? Or both?
Thanks.

Change the Modi for a better DAC before you change the Asgard 2. I'm getting my Mojo today and I can compare the Mojo to my standalone desktop setup which consists of a Bimby, Theta DS Pro progenyA, and Asgard 2.

I always felt like the Bimby was a little bit too polite to prefer it to the old Theta. My Mojo is out for delivery so I'm just anxiously waiting for it to get here
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #14,387 of 42,765

Change the Modi for a better DAC before you change the Asgard 2. I'm getting my Mojo today and I can compare the Mojo to my standalone desktop setup which consists of a Bimby, Theta DS Pro progenyA, and Asgard 2.

I always felt like the Bimby was a little bit too polite to prefer it to the old Theta. My Mojo is out for delivery so I'm just anxiously waiting for it to get here
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to the comparison :)

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #14,389 of 42,765

It is possible.
In my opinion you can sell the Modi 2.
Check if you prefer Mojo to Asgard 2, or Mojo on its own.
If you prefer Mojo on its own, you can sell Asgard 2 as well.

Thanks, that's I am afraid of the Mojo can be converted as the only DAC/HedphoneAmp both for dekstop setup and travel setup.
I have in the box an Adioquest DragonFly v1.2, do you think DragonFly could replace Modi 2 and improve sound quality?

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #14,391 of 42,765
  Is it possible I am getting a better sound quality and experience with W7+foobar2000+Mojo+HD600 than W7+foobar2000+SchiitModi2+SchiitAgard2+HD600?

If I am not fool and that's true, what to change? The Modi 2 or the Asgard 2? Or both?
Thanks.

Also, if it helps you at all I own the HD600 and I prefer it on my Bottlehead Crack + CD player setup than my desktop setup. The reason is probably because of proper impedance matching and tubes. If you look at the Schiit website and then look at the specs for the Asgard 2 and compare them to the Valhalla 2 OTL amp the Valhalla puts a lot more juice into your HD600s than Asgard 2. I don't think the Mojo is going to beat a BH Crack or Valhalla in its ability to drive the HD600 but the DAC may certainly be better than anything you have on your desktop.

I have no doubts a BH Crack will drive your HD600 better than the Mojo but that's not the purpose of the Mojo. The Mojo is meant to be the portable solution to getting desktop quality sound. That's what I'm kind of hoping for when I receive my Mojo today.

I am mainly interested in the FPGA approach to the DAC design and 125db of dynamic range. All of the best DAC designs take unconventional approaches. Even the Concero HP bypasses the filter in the Sabre chip for a custom FPGA filter. I own a Theta which like Wadia was one of the first audio companies to ever use custom ROM memory DSP chips for the digital filter. That is what is crucial to getting that realistic sound and spacial cues with fast transients.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #14,392 of 42,765
I have a issue when I plug the Asgard 2 into Mojo the Mojo power LED goes off as if its dropping the input.  I was using Coaxial from PC.  Plug headphone directly to mojo all is well.  I was using it with this amp off and on past few days with no issue.  Any ideas

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #14,393 of 42,765

Also, if it helps you at all I own the HD600 and I prefer it on my Bottlehead Crack + CD player setup than my desktop setup. The reason is probably because of proper impedance matching and tubes. If you look at the Schiit website and then look at the specs for the Asgard 2 and compare them to the Valhalla 2 OTL amp the Valhalla puts a lot more juice into your HD600s than Asgard 2. I don't think the Mojo is going to beat a BH Crack or Valhalla in its ability to drive the HD600 but the DAC may certainly be better than anything you have on your desktop.

I have no doubts a BH Crack will drive your HD600 better than the Mojo but that's not the purpose of the Mojo. The Mojo is meant to be the portable solution to getting desktop quality sound. That's what I'm kind of hoping for when I receive my Mojo today.

I am mainly interested in the FPGA approach to the DAC design and 125db of dynamic range. All of the best DAC designs take unconventional approaches. Even the Concero HP bypasses the filter in the Sabre chip for a custom FPGA filter. I own a Theta which like Wadia was one of the first audio companies to ever use custom ROM memory DSP chips for the digital filter. That is what is crucial to getting that realistic sound and spacial cues with fast transients.

I bought the Mojo with your same objective of mobile setup, in my case iPod 5G + TIDAL or HF Onkyo Player + Mojo + Etymotic ER4PT, and it is really amazing; then I tried connecting iPod + Mojo (3V line out setup) to my old integrated stereo Marantz PM17 KI series and Chario Constellation speakers  and Oh My God what lovely and powerfull sound.

And tried with the previous mentioned desktop setup. I will wait for your comparisson before taking any decision. Cheers

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #14,394 of 42,765

Thanks, that's I am afraid of the Mojo can be converted as the only DAC/HedphoneAmp both for dekstop setup and travel setup.
I have in the box an Adioquest DragonFly v1.2, do you think DragonFly could replace Modi 2 and improve sound quality?

I do not have experience with dragonfly. But I do know Mojo is better than any other DAC/amp I tried under £300.
For me Mojo replaced all my previous DACs and amps for home listening and on the go. (Bear in mind, Mojo is my most expensive DAC/amp so far.)

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #14,395 of 42,765
Patiently waiting for delivery notification for the MOJO. Been dying to hear a chord product for a while, Hugo was just too big for my lifestyle. Mojo looks perfect. I'm actually more excited about the Mojo than my incoming X7. I feel like a child at Xmas.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #14,396 of 42,765
So all of a sudden, this micro usb otg cable to connect the mojo to my s6 edge is like finding the holy grail...

They are easy to find. Do a little looking on eBay for a micro to micro otg. I have bought lots of them there.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #14,397 of 42,765
They are easy to find. Do a little looking on eBay for a micro to micro otg. I have bought lots of them there.
i managed to find one on amazon for £2.86 same one on ebay was £8+. 8inch cable aswell, took me ages to find one that wasnt half a metre plus, even the audio store couldnt source a suitable one. Now I have the mojo i have to potentially wait up until the 6th of april before I bother taking it out of the box. Why chord didnt make a seperate 8 inch micro to micro otg, even if it was a seperate purchase, I dont know. Alot of micro to micro users gona be frustrated in the uk, it isnt a common cable. Glad they had a cable for me to demo it in store though

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #14,398 of 42,765
Strange to hear it's problematic to get hold of a OTG cable in the UK...
I bought mine in a expert store... Like Best Buy in Germany... I really had to dive in the cable wall to find it... The clerk didn't know what I wanted... But it was there.
I'm sure you can get one in a local electronics store.
Cheers

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #14,399 of 42,765
My Mojo is now all I have and my phone for audio joy. My hobby as an "audiophile on a budget" relegated to the tiny basement. Audio in the living room supplied by the excellent Peachtree Audio Deep Blue2 speaker.

My wife is on a war against cables (previously called them "wires" derisively); I had to remove from the den and place in my tiny basement man cave everything I collected over the past five years; I had two listening stations, one for the iMac and another on the sofa for TV audio headphone listening.

Blu-Ray/DVD player
VCR
Apple TV
iPad Air2 used as a video input
Schiit Bifrost multibit
Schiit Vali, first edition
Schiit Wyrd decrapper
Mayflower Electronics O2 amp with the wood front panel
Toslink switcher
RCA switcher
Rolls RCA mixer I use for left-right balance
Denon UD-M31 Mini Stereo receiver and Speakers
Wyrd4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker
Akiko USB Tuning fork
IBasso P4 Warbler amp
Upton Regen
IBooster
Elijah Audio Konvertible cable
Straightwire USB cable
Supra USB cable
Lifatec glass toslink cable
iFi USB iPurifier2
Belkin 12-outlet pivot plug surge protectors
Airport Express
Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm
Fospower 20-ft Toslink cables
Polk Audio subwoofer remains as an end table only.

Her current target is the listening station I set up in our son's room as he is away at Cornell Engineering;

Computer monitor
Kangaroo PC
LH Labs Geek Pulse Sfi DAC/AMP
LH Labs Pulse Blue
Riva speakers, two, wired to the Blue
Fiio E12 Mont Blanc
USB Hub
Airport Express

She wants a den esthetically pleasing though she never uses it. Does not even like seeing me in the den, though she does not uses it herself. Neither so I because there is nothing there for me.

And she wonders why I am so depressed.

"Those cables are your toys?"
"Yes, they connect my toys to one another."
"What are they for?"
"Here, let me show you, this connects a computer to a DAC which converts the signal from the..."
"Oh, I don't care what they do."-

So, now all I have is my iPhone and Mojo; headphones I need to hide in a closet. Cables are in boxes in the cave because drawers should be perfectly neat when she randomly chooses to open them.

Mojo is a life-saver, her's (joke.)

Someone needs a new wife or a mistress with audiophile love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back