Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 14, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #13,291 of 42,765

I had purchased the Apple model because I had read that for the $10 savings, the 3rd market ones often...just stop working. 

I've heard rumours that the CCK knock-off cables may be a little unreliable, but, truth be told, I don't recall seeing many people on head-fi actually saying "my cable stopped working"

I look forward to the module release by Chord where we can link to the iPhone.  

Yes, I think they will have plenty of takers for that add-on module, but I'm not sure that it will replace the CCK cable - I suspect it may simply hide / encapsulate a CCK cable provided by the user.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #13,292 of 42,765
I bought an Apple CCK cable ne from the Apple on-line store when I ordered my Mojo. It was DOA, but after some fiddling around with cable position worked a few times and then went totally dead. I thought at first that maybe Mojo didn't work with iPhones. Got lots of help from Todd at TTVJ and from Chord until I figured out it was the brand new Apple CCK. This is not the place to discuss it but if anybody launches a class action suit against Apple over the CCK or wants me to sign a petition I'm ready.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #13,293 of 42,765
Are you guys using the included short USB cable with the Apple CCK to the Mojo? I ask because I know a couple users who have found that the included USB cable loses connection. Perhaps try a different USB cable connected to the CCK and the Mojo to make sure of what's happening.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #13,294 of 42,765

Will, do, and thanks, Mython.  I have been helped by the massive 3rd posting with all of its links on Mojo, and can only imagine the effort it took, and the hours spent making sense of the information:  thank you.  

I had purchased the Apple model because I had read that for the $10 savings, the 3rd market ones often...just stop working.  

I look forward to the module release by Chord where we can link to the iPhone.  

you might want to give this a try: http://penonaudio.com/L19-Lightning-to-Micro-USB
hope this helps :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #13,295 of 42,765
  I'm close to ordering a Mojo this week after an underwhelming experience with the Fiio X7 (which is being returned).

I have been using a HRT Microstreamer which I've been extremely happy with SQ wise and use this daily at work playing my downloaded extreme quality Spotify playlists off my laptop. Occasionally I will dip into my collection of FLAC but this is rare as I personally don't notice that much improvement vs. Spotify. 

I switch between Fischer Amps FA-4E XB, Flare R2A and Fidelio L2 (also just got some VE Zen 2.0 which I've not tried yet but looking for something that can suitably drive them to their best), and my home speaker set-up is a pair of Genelec studio speakers and Adam A5 which both run off the line-out from HRT Microstreamer.

My question is, how much improvement would I experience with the Mojo?

Would this be a perfect example of YMMV?

I found Mojo worked fantastically with MP3's as well as lossless files. For me the presentation is just so engaging and I am sure you may have read many a times in this thread comments along the lines of  "I am now re-listening to music I had owned for years", one thing you could also try is ripping any CD's you have to lossless 16/44.1 in any format of your choice ALAC, FLAC, WAV etc and listen to these or give Tidal HiFi a try they have a 30 day trial on offer at the moment as I think lossless files will get the best out of the Mojo if you do make this purchase.

But if/when you get one, whatever you do, do not analyse your music, just listen and enjoy (lights low, eyes closed and enjoy!)

I personally believe you will hear a difference

L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #13,296 of 42,765
I don't consider Mojo a Source, that to me is a player (CD, Turntable, DAP). But it's certainly not an Amp, as Mython stated it cannot accept a Line In. So until Head Fi has an intermediate DAC section, it would seem in the best place. Enough people find it judjing by the amount of posts :). They just don't find post 3, maybe it should be in thread title :) Keep up the good work Mython.

Is the turntable itself a source? Consider:

vinyl record = digital file
Turntable = digital audio player
Cartridge = DAC

Then on to preamp, amp, headphones/speakers

So what is Mojo?

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #13,300 of 42,765
Mar 14, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #13,302 of 42,765
Hi, do I need to download any driver softwares or modify any Windows settings? Currently have it connected through optical from windows 10.

have it set as default playback device,and everything plays through mojo, foobar otoh needs configuration

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #13,304 of 42,765
Hi, do I need to download any driver softwares or modify any Windows settings? Currently have it connected through optical from windows 10.

If you don't like EQ then just install drivers if Windows and you're good to go.
If you like EQ, try Viper4Windows (never tried it) or a VST parametric plugin (easy to find but harder to use)

I have parametric EQ settings in the 3rd link on my signature, Feel free to just copy my settings in.

Note: I am a basshead with extreme sensitivity to treble so YMMV.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #13,305 of 42,765

Don't you just go in to the Sound settings in the control panel in Windows and select the optical digital output?

P.S. I don't know, I use Mac for my audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back