Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #4,336 of 42,765
Question to Chord, why the Mojo has a slight treble roll off with an IEM?

White line = Mojo without load , Green line = Mojo with load:

(the slight bass roll of is normal with my sound card)

I would unterstand if we would have a digital filter like with micro iDSD:

But this isn't the case with Mojo and the frequency change is only with a attached IEM. The output impedance is pretty low with 0,075 ohms, this can't be the reason for the treble roll off.

Example with the cheap HRT dSP dac/amp which has 0,5 ohms output impedance, with the same IEM as on Mojo I tested:

(the slight bass roll of is normal with my sound card)

No treble roll off.

There is absolutely no roll off in HF or Bass .....this must be a measurement artefact caused by the way it is being measured here. There will be plenty of caroberative reviews coming through that'll back this up ike the recent HiFi world review just out .....John Franks

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #4,338 of 42,765

I'd like to know as well – and it's definitely audible.

Maybe Rob Watts will answer this?

Its because the OP stage is integrated with the OP filter. This means that Mojo analogue section is very simple, so giving Mojo's transparency, but the downside is a small variation in frequency response with load impedance.

Rob

Thank you! So is this different from the Hugo? (Which sounds more extended to high frequencies.)

There is absolutely no roll off in HF or Bass .....this must be a measurement artefact caused by the way it is being measured here. There will be plenty of caroberative reviews coming through that'll back this up ike the recent HiFi world review just out .....John Franks

So you two seem to differ about this matter.
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #4,339 of 42,765
According to these impressions, that puts the Mojo on the level and sound of the Geek Out v.2+ 
I remember another impression said they put the Mojo in the same ball park with the Yggy/Raggy.

Which is it? 

Hi slings5s,

Are you trying to turn this into algebra?

Mojo = Hugo + warmth - detail
Dragonfly = Mojo + warmth + musicality

Therefore 2 Mojo = Hugo - detail + Dragonfly - musicality

Therefore Mojo = Geek out
Therefore Yggy/Raggy = ?

Sadly there are no absolute answers. This is partly because everyone's hearing is different, partly because no one person has all the DACs in the world and partly because everyone listens to different music.

One absolute is Hugo = Mojo + £1000

And in my opinion that £1000 brings more presence, more space, better dynamics and more toe tapping.

I went to see Ms Mr last night and today have been listening to them via Tidal and my Audeze LCD-XC.

I started my session using Mojo since it was already connected but before the end of track 2 I had to switch to Hugo as Mojo was not delivering the goods.

However that is just one Artist. Change to Taylor Swift's 1989 (please don't) and you may get a different answer.

Ian

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #4,341 of 42,765

Thank you! So is this different from the Hugo? (Which sounds more extended to high frequencies.)

So you two seem to differ about this matter.
blink.gif

it's nothing like that being Measured

I'm curious how this will turn out.

In any event the Mojo still sounds great for a portable DAC+Amp of its size, and the treble deficit is easily equalizable. However, it sounds a tiny bit more artificial than the Hugo nonetheless. On the other hand, its characteristic seems to accentuate energy and impact, which is a fascinating trait on its own. And e.g. it drives the HiFiMan HE1000 with great authority – resulting in a powerful and delicate sound that leaves nothing to be desired.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #4,342 of 42,765

How does it sound with the T51Ps? 

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4,343 of 42,765
How does it sound with the T51Ps? 
I have been using them with the DT 1350 as my work phones, and it is awesome. I mostly listen to electronic and Indian music, and the bad is full and the treble is awesome, no spikes and no fatigue! I'm hearing so much more details on the songs I used to listen a huge number of times!

Only issue is the positioning of the headphones!

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,344 of 42,765
Placed order with Moon Audio.  Anyone know how long the wait is?
Loved Schiit's mulibit dac implementation; thought I also try Chord's fpga dac implementation. Different flavor I guess.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,345 of 42,765

The iBasso DX50 is still a very very good choice as a transport DAP! Coax to Mojo and Coax to iDSD as well, both are different dac/amps and both in their own world best for the price range, can't be without both anymore.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #4,346 of 42,765

Thanks - I just bought the T51Ps (& Mojo) for Prog and acoustic having owned the DT1350s a while ago. Game on then!

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,347 of 42,765
  "Originally Posted by Hachiko270296 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's my Mojo sound impressions after owing it for a while.

The Mojo I would describe as similar to the Hugo but a tad warmer. I would say it's still on the analytical side of neutral. It has a kind of intimate sound to it than the Hugo but it isn't as resolving. The Hugo is more spacious, better detailed and better in every way. This isn't s bad thing as its 4 times the price.

Compared to the Dragonfly 1.2 they are a similar sound with the DF being on the warmer side. Both have s detailed sound but the DF is a bit more musical and run sounding where the Mojo is s bit more analytical. I wouldn't say one is better than the other and they are both pretty much equal. I don't know if thei makes the Mojo overpriced or the Dragonfly amazing value. The Mojo has more functionality so this could be s deal breaker.

Compared to the Fiio X5 Dac section they sound very similar with the Fiio being a tad more airy and open. Mids sound better on the Fiio where as the Mojo has a bit more elevated bass. Again like with the DF they are pretty similar. I'd say they are also pretty close in technicality maybe a slight preference edge to the Mojo as a DAC.

Will write a full review soon."

According to these impressions, that puts the Mojo on the level and sound of the Geek Out v.2+ 
I remember another impression said they put the Mojo in the same ball park with the Yggy/Raggy.

Which is it? 

Without sounding slightly offensive about choice of headphones. The Beats Solo which Hachiko270296 later stated using are going to be a factor in the this. Sadly while they have a nice enough tone, they are not exactly fine detail monkeys. I know I will come under fire for saying this but I think it's pertinent to the discussion.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #4,348 of 42,765
"Originally Posted by Hachiko270296 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's my Mojo sound impressions after owing it for a while.

The Mojo I would describe as similar to the Hugo but a tad warmer. I would say it's still on the analytical side of neutral. It has a kind of intimate sound to it than the Hugo but it isn't as resolving. The Hugo is more spacious, better detailed and better in every way. This isn't s bad thing as its 4 times the price.

Compared to the Dragonfly 1.2 they are a similar sound with the DF being on the warmer side. Both have s detailed sound but the DF is a bit more musical and run sounding where the Mojo is s bit more analytical. I wouldn't say one is better than the other and they are both pretty much equal. I don't know if thei makes the Mojo overpriced or the Dragonfly amazing value. The Mojo has more functionality so this could be s deal breaker.

Compared to the Fiio X5 Dac section they sound very similar with the Fiio being a tad more airy and open. Mids sound better on the Fiio where as the Mojo has a bit more elevated bass. Again like with the DF they are pretty similar. I'd say they are also pretty close in technicality maybe a slight preference edge to the Mojo as a DAC.

Will write a full review soon."

Which is it? 

I have a 2qute and a Yggy and the Yggy is the better dac
In fact I'll say the MB Gungnir is better by a slight margin .

So I don't expect the Mojo to be better than the Yggy .

I doubt it seriously .

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #4,349 of 42,765
Without sounding slightly offensive about choice of headphones. The Beats Solo which Hachiko270296 later stated using are going to be a factor in the this. Sadly while they have a nice enough tone, they are not exactly fine detail monkeys. I know I will come under fire for saying this but I think it's pertinent to the discussion.

I think your point would be fair if Hachiko had said "I can't tell the difference". Then it might be fair to point a finger at the Beats and say Ah-Hah.

However if a DAC sounds warmer and more detailed with Headphone A at £150 then I would also expect it to sound warmer and more detailed with Headphone B which might have cost ten times the price.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back