Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 4, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #3,781 of 42,765
Hi guys,

It's finally time to upgrade my first and only set-up :D

Any idea if will hear much of a difference going from a Fiio E17+E09k (£200) to this (£400) for hd650?

I was initially thinking to upgrade the E09k amp to a Graham Slee and keep E17 as DAC... but the Mojo has really piqued my interest. I could then still use the E09k with Mojo's line out mode for extra power if needed - it does give a really wide soundstage to E17's dac that I enjoy.

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded from a similar Fiio set-up? I'm currently looking for a worthwhile upgrade to last me the next couple of years.

I'll be using it mostly for desktop use with PC via USB (FLAC, JRiver). I don't do much listening on-the-go (although I do have a Note 3), but the price is about right for now.

Cheers.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3,783 of 42,765
I am curious what's the advantage of using those color based dome buttons? Is it purely esthetic in function or are there some technical merits to them or maybe both or none?

Quote:
I guess both! Since there is no visual indicator for the volume level and the sample rate, the colors indicate the current dB level and sample rate!

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #3,784 of 42,765
Yes, but to get to exactly 3V line level again you need to power cycle the unit and press both buttons again within two seconds. On the other hand if 3V is too much for your amp then you can lower the volume for less output. Typically 2V line out is the CD standard but I haven't measured the Mojo's output on any other volume settings so I don't know what colour 2V would represent. The headphone out is basically the analogue stage of the DAC and it's very clean so no worries about double amping. :wink:

Thanks Relic. Just making sure nothing is wrong with my unit. :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3,785 of 42,765
We at chord looked at those adaptors but decided they were very likely to potentially put a lot of sheer force right into the most fragile part of to USB Connectors in our unit. tthis is why we made our adaptor substantially larger to accommodate tour points of connection into Mojo and a cupped end to ensure damaging forces are less likely to be transferred into any single USB socket. The tooling for this part is very nearly finished so it should be available soon,

Hi John,

Sounds like you have quite a few Mojo addons in the pipeline. You have talked about three or four additional modules, plus Apple and Android "packs" and now a connector. Quite a nice revenue stream if dealers are prepared to stock them and customers can track them down. Will you be offering a direct mail order service in the UK? I bought a second Hugo charger directly from Chord but I know this is not currently an advertised service.

Ian

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #3,786 of 42,765
I am curious what's the advantage of using those color based dome buttons? Is it purely esthetic in function or are there some technical merits to them or maybe both or none?

I really like it functionally speaking, really easy to remember which colors are great for which phones, also make it real quick and easy to restore your usual listening volume/color when you happen to turn up the volume for specific tracks/movies.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #3,787 of 42,765

Ive seen successive designs for the hand held mobile market becoming sharper and more angular and obviously less comfortable in the hand or pocket. When I was thinking about the design I'd gone to Brighton with my family. my daughter was collecting hard Flint coloured pebbles that had been wave washed for centuries it struck me that something very hard like flint stone can feel soft and pleasant in the hand when given the right curving profiles and surface finish. Having decided that, it was a simple step to add some more comfortable rounded switches that could double as coloured light information indicators. Feeling and looking like a few of the small pretty pebbles like my daughter likes to collect. I could of course made the balls much smaller but then with your finger on top of a small button, you couldn't see what colour it was. I know that sometimes I takes a little time and use for people to apreciate some of my design approaches sometimes ... But much good non conformist design is like that! I hope mogo will long out last the more ordinary and mundane designs I've certainly made it tough enough to last for years. John F.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3,788 of 42,765

I have the E17 but not the E09k (so can't comment on amping with it). The sound signatures between the E17 and Mojo are vastly different. First thing I noticed is that the E17 has more bass slam and body compared to the Mojo. You might feel that the Mojo is 'bass light' coming from the E17, but give it time and you'll notice that bass on the Mojo has more texture, faster and sounds less muddy. Amping the Mojo may help add more bass quantity if you're after that (I pair mine with the Tralucent T1 amp). 

IMO, the mids and treble on the Mojo are leagues above what the E17 is capable of. The Mojo has more transparency and air, every sound entity is distinctly fleshed out but the track is never muddied. Vocals sound gloriously realistic on the Mojo whereas on the E17 they are more distant and somewhat less engaging. Treble extension also feels 'capped' on the E17 in comparison to the Mojo. 

Bass quantity aside, i'd highly recommend the Mojo. The E17 is a great little DAC (my first dedicated DAC in fact), but the Mojo just exceeds it in every department. I did most of my comparisons with the Etymotic ER4S as they are a fairly neutral sounding IEM. 

Hope this helps! :) 

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #3,789 of 42,765
Mojo has just arrived - yay!!!

I have a couple of questions - apologies if they have already been discussed in this giant thread...

Manual says battery should take 4 hours to fully charge but the box says leave for 10 hours on initial charge?

I played one song in Onkyo HF which was 24/48 but the light was blue which is 192. Presumably the software was upsampling? Is this normal? Can I turn it off?

Thanks

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,790 of 42,765
4hr is enough. 10hr is for those hat sit on the shelf for a long time which isn't happening now.

The blue light is probably android up sampling on default. You need to use onkyo to directly connect with the dac in the setting.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #3,791 of 42,765
Mojo has just arrived - yay!!!

I have a couple of questions - apologies if they have already been discussed in this giant thread...

Manual says battery should take 4 hours to fully charge but the box says leave for 10 hours on initial charge?

I played one song in Onkyo HF which was 24/48 but the light was blue which is 192. Presumably the software was upsampling? Is this normal? Can I turn it off?

Thanks

1. Your Mojo is good to go as soon as the charging light goes off.

2. Go to Onkyo HF settings then under Playback turn off Upsampling mode.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,792 of 42,765
Just wondering if use the new sony dap nw-zx1000 together with mojo, could we play dsd over dop or convert to PCM b4 sending it to mojo? Thanks

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #3,793 of 42,765
Here is my desktop Coax cable it's actually a 75 ohm mini coax, very tiny but with a great digital divide. I am planning to make a shorter 3 inch version for connection maybe the Mojo with my X5. I ordered a Glass Toslink 4 inch tip to tip cable for the Toslink connection so we'll see which one plays nicely the best.

Where's the Mojo?
biggrin.gif

A 4" glass Toslink cable seems terrific! Can you tell us where you got it? (Was it Lifatek maybe?)

I suppose different lengths are available, and then there's the question of how thick it is.

Thx

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #3,794 of 42,765
Here is my desktop Coax cable it's actually a 75 ohm mini coax, very tiny but with a great digital divide. I am planning to make a shorter 3 inch version for connection maybe the Mojo with my X5. I ordered a Glass Toslink 4 inch tip to tip cable for the Toslink connection so we'll see which one plays nicely the best.

Where's the Mojo?
biggrin.gif

A 4" glass Toslink cable seems terrific! Can you tell us where you got it? (Was it Lifatek maybe?)

I suppose different lengths are available, and then there's the question of how thick it is.

Thx

Yes it is, they charge 60$ per cable but truly worth it cause you can't find such constructions anywhere else except in the medical field. As far as thickness, it's pretty thick however the connector will be inserted straight through so you'll have a loop going from the device to your Mojo if you stack a Toslink based player (if there is such a thing). If you use the Mojo as a desktop, I'd suggest your order a longer length like 0.5 meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back